Recovering files with chkdsk?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Schutkeker, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. When I used chkdsk/r to recover lost clusters, where does XP put the
    recovered files, and what are their extensions?
    John Schutkeker, Sep 21, 2004

  2. John Schutkeker

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:14:59 GMT, John Schutkeker wrote:

    >When I used chkdsk/r to recover lost clusters, where does XP put the
    >recovered files, and what are their extensions?

    Try www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 19,000 English pages for chkdsk xp. (0.26
    seconds)

    Microsoft Windows XP - Chkdsk
    show toc. Chkdsk. Creates and displays a status report for a disk based
    on the
    file system. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk. ...
    www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx
    - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

    Microsoft Windows XP - Chkdsk
    show toc. Chkdsk. Creates and displays a status report for the disk.
    The
    chkdsk command also lists and corrects errors on the disk. ...

    www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_chkdsk.mspx
    - 9k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.microsoft.com ]

    Me
    why?, Sep 21, 2004

  3. John Schutkeker

    Robin Hood Guest

    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:14:59 GMT, John Schutkeker wrote:
    >

    >>When I used chkdsk/r to recover lost clusters, where does XP put the
    >>recovered files, and what are their extensions?

    > Try www.google.com
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 19,000 English pages for chkdsk xp. (0.26
    > seconds)
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP - Chkdsk
    > show toc. Chkdsk. Creates and displays a status report for a disk based
    > on the
    > file system. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk. ...
    > www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx
    > - 18k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP - Chkdsk
    > show toc. Chkdsk. Creates and displays a status report for the disk.
    > The
    > chkdsk command also lists and corrects errors on the disk. ...
    >
    > www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_chkdsk.mspx
    > - 9k - Cached - Similar pages
    > [ More results from www.microsoft.com ]
    >
    > Me

    This guy must have shares in Google.
    Robin Hood, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Dont'cha love these dumb clucks whose reply to every question is "Try
    Google, airhead!" It's a synonym for "Duh, I dunno." But they're far too
    vain to admit that there's anything they don't know.

    John Schutkeker, Sep 21, 2004
  5. John Schutkeker

    Robin Hood Guest

    My thoughts exactly John.

    Robin Hood, Sep 21, 2004
  6. John Schutkeker

    Billy Guest

    "Robin Hood" <> wrote in message
    > My thoughts exactly John.
    > "John Schutkeker" <-nospam> wrote in

    message

    > > Dont'cha love these dumb clucks whose reply to every question is

    "Try
    > > Google, airhead!" It's a synonym for "Duh, I dunno." But they're

    far too
    > > vain to admit that there's anything they don't know.
    > >
    > > "Robin Hood" <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> This guy must have shares in Google.

    Either that or they are saying, at least make an attempt to find the
    cure.
    Billy, Sep 21, 2004
  7. John Schutkeker

    Ron Martell Guest

    John Schutkeker <-nospam> wrote:

    >When I used chkdsk/r to recover lost clusters, where does XP put the
    >recovered files, and what are their extensions?

    The files will normally be put into a folder named Found.nnn where nnn
    is a 3 digit number starting from 000. So the first time you run
    CHKDSK and it finds lost clusters it will put them into Found.000 and
    the next time you run it they will go into Found.001 (if Found.000
    still exists).

    The files will be named FILEnnnn.CHK where nnnn is a 4 digit number
    starting from 0000. The first file created is named FILE0000.CHK, the
    second one is FILE0001.CHK and so forth. I am not certain as to what
    happens when more than 10,000 files are found.

    Note: The above explanation is with regard to Windows XP. Other
    versions of Windows also have the CHKDSK command but the /R option is
    not valid with Windows 95/98/Me.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 21, 2004
  8. John Schutkeker

    T Guest

    Billy wrote:
    > "Robin Hood" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>My thoughts exactly John.
    >>"John Schutkeker" <-nospam> wrote in

    > message

    >>>Dont'cha love these dumb clucks whose reply to every question is

    > "Try
    >
    >>>Google, airhead!" It's a synonym for "Duh, I dunno." But they're

    > far too
    >
    >>>vain to admit that there's anything they don't know.
    >>>
    >>>"Robin Hood" <> wrote in

    > Either that or they are saying, at least make an attempt to find the
    > cure.

    space wasting faggots
    T, Sep 22, 2004
  9. "Billy" <> wrote in

    > Either that or they are saying, at least make an attempt to find the
    > cure.

    Which jumps to the conclusion that I had not. They're saying "Go away
    knucklehead and don't bother us with hard questions. We only answer the
    easy ones."
    John Schutkeker, Sep 23, 2004
  10. John Schutkeker

    Billy Guest

    > "Billy" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Either that or they are saying, at least make an attempt to find the
    > > cure.

    > Which jumps to the conclusion that I had not. They're saying "Go away
    > knucklehead and don't bother us with hard questions. We only answer

    the
    > easy ones."

    The only problem with your logic is that he googled for you and provided
    you with the correct links. You don't seem to appreciate that at all. Is
    it too difficult for you to read that information?
    Billy, Sep 23, 2004
  11. John Schutkeker

    Buffalo Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "John Schutkeker" <-nospam> wrote in

    message
    > > "Billy" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Either that or they are saying, at least make an attempt to find

    the
    > > > cure.

    > > Which jumps to the conclusion that I had not. They're saying "Go

    away
    > > knucklehead and don't bother us with hard questions. We only

    answer
    > the
    > > easy ones."
    > >

    > The only problem with your logic is that he googled for you and

    provided
    > you with the correct links. You don't seem to appreciate that at

    all. Is
    > it too difficult for you to read that information?

    I totally agree with that.
    Perhaps the OP needs to read up on the different methods of using
    Google as a search engine to find the solution.
    PS: It's not nice to 'bite' the hand that feeds you.
    Buffalo, Sep 23, 2004
  12. John Schutkeker

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:34:59 GMT, John Schutkeker wrote:

    >"Billy" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Either that or they are saying, at least make an attempt to find the
    >> cure.

    >Which jumps to the conclusion that I had not. They're saying "Go away
    >knucklehead and don't bother us with hard questions. We only answer the

    Which may be proving your false made up assumption since I didn't say
    anything about anyone. The question was neither hard or easy it simply,
    already has many answers and is well documented.

    <snip>

    I can speak for myself and don't need anyone to start making stupid
    assumptions on what I may or may not think and never said.

    Me
    why?, Sep 23, 2004
  13. John Schutkeker

    Billy Guest

    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:34:59 GMT, John Schutkeker wrote:
    >
    > >"Billy" <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Either that or they are saying, at least make an attempt to find

    the
    > >> cure.

    > >Which jumps to the conclusion that I had not. They're saying "Go

    away
    > >knucklehead and don't bother us with hard questions. We only answer

    the

    > Which may be proving your false made up assumption since I didn't say
    > anything about anyone. The question was neither hard or easy it

    simply,
    > already has many answers and is well documented.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I can speak for myself and don't need anyone to start making stupid
    > assumptions on what I may or may not think and never said.

    Little touchy today? Or responding to the wrong person?
    The message I responded to stated "these dumb clucks...".
    I often tell people to use Google and usually provide a response. If you
    feel that I felt that you needed help, than you are making a stupid
    assumption.
    Billy, Sep 23, 2004
  14. John Schutkeker

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:54:53 GMT, Billy wrote:

    >> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:34:59 GMT, John Schutkeker wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Billy" <> wrote in

    >the
    >> >
    >> >Which jumps to the conclusion that I had not. They're saying "Go

    >away
    >> >knucklehead and don't bother us with hard questions. We only answer

    >the
    >>
    >> Which may be proving your false made up assumption since I didn't say
    >> anything about anyone. The question was neither hard or easy it

    >simply,
    >> already has many answers and is well documented.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> I can speak for myself and don't need anyone to start making stupid
    >> assumptions on what I may or may not think and never said.
    >>

    >Little touchy today? Or responding to the wrong person?

    No, I have said similar in the past, and replying to the wrong post has
    also happened a few times.

    Unless Agent is threading incorrectly, my reply was to
    "On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:34:59 GMT, John Schutkeker wrote:"

    >The message I responded to stated "these dumb clucks...".

    It wasn't directly, you replied to "Robin Hood" , which was a reply
    (quoting the 'dumb clucks' original text) to "John Schutkeker" that
    contained the 'dumb clucks' text. Could the 1st post have been missing
    on your server? It happens sometimes.

    >I often tell people to use Google and usually provide a response. If you

    I didn't say you did/didn't. I do.

    >feel that I felt that you needed help, than you are making a stupid

    Um.... I didn't ask for help.

    >assumption.

    Me
    why?, Sep 23, 2004
  15. John Schutkeker

    Billy Guest

    Looked again and it appears my head was up ...
    well I was wrong and apoligise, perhaps I am a little touchy today. ;-)
    Billy, Sep 23, 2004
  16. John Schutkeker

    D.Simms

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    City of the Angels
    I used Google to get here

    It was stupid of whyguest and others to suggest using Google to look up the answer -- I got here because this page is the number 1 response to the question on Google search... get it? I used Google search first -- I asked the question

    where does chkdsk put the found directory

    and this was the very first search result. I followed the link (because it looked like a good bet) and I'm greeted by multiple messages saying "use Google"... I already did, idiots.

    Fortunately one person here had the right answer. I only posted this reply in the hopes that the idiots who responded with "look it up on Google" realize the folly of their ways and stfu when they don't know. They suffer from a common ailment of males who are full of themselves -- the ailment is called "Male Answer Syndrome", it's a pathological condition many males have whereby they feel compelled to supply an answer even when they have no frigging idea what they're talking about. Apparenetly only males suffer from this, females seem to be able to say "I don't know" without any problem.

    For reference, see the movie The Core.
    "Say it with me: I don't know."
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    D.Simms, Dec 23, 2011