    recovered. I'm trying to find additional programs to try.

    Thanks!

    , Jan 26, 2008

  2. tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 26, 1:34 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > Does anyone here know of any software programs (like File Rescue Plus)
    > that work with iomega zip drives? The drive in question doesn't mount
    > as a drive letter. The person used "media recovery" software, and
    > while it found the files it didn't recover them in the right format.
    > There are several disks, each with over 100 files that need to be
    > recovered. I'm trying to find additional programs to try.
    >
    > Thanks!

    The drive should mount as an external drive, you may need Iomega
    software to do this. But any XP computer recognizes my USB zip drive,
    though I hardy use it anymore.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Pat Guest

    On Jan 28, 8:56 am, tomm42 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 1:34 pm, "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone here know of any software programs (like File Rescue Plus)
    > > that work with iomega zip drives? The drive in question doesn't mount
    > > as a drive letter. The person used "media recovery" software, and
    > > while it found the files it didn't recover them in the right format.
    > > There are several disks, each with over 100 files that need to be
    > > recovered. I'm trying to find additional programs to try.

    > > Thanks!

    > The drive should mount as an external drive, you may need Iomega
    > software to do this. But any XP computer recognizes my USB zip drive,
    > though I hardy use it anymore.
    >
    > Tom

    IIRC, you may want to try to old program "guest" which iomega provided
    with the drive. I'm sure it's on their website. It assisgned the
    drive a letter and let you use it, but it didn't require any drivers
    so when you restarted the computer, you were back to how it was
    before. Then, check with a new disk to see if it's a drive problem or
    data problem. Also, check the cable. And don't daisychain anything,
    even though they say it's okay.

    Finally, go to sourceforge.net or downloads.com and find a piece of
    software. Almost any drive recover program would work.

    But before you do that, if it's an old drive and a new computer, you
    might want to look into FAT v. FAT32 problems. I don't quite
    understand all of those issues myself, but I'm sure someone will now
    it's mentioned. If that's the case, you might need to find an older
    computer to hook it up to, but that's just a guess at this point.

    Pat, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:34:45 -0800 (PST), ""
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone here know of any software programs (like File Rescue Plus)
    >that work with iomega zip drives? The drive in question doesn't mount
    >as a drive letter. The person used "media recovery" software, and
    >while it found the files it didn't recover them in the right format.
    >There are several disks, each with over 100 files that need to be
    >recovered. I'm trying to find additional programs to try.
    >
    >Thanks!

    While I don't have a solution for your particular problem, you have hit
    upon an important point in this digital age: You need to keep moving
    your digital photo collection to new media as it becomes available. It's
    hard to believe that, as popular as Zip & Jaz drives were just a few
    years ago, they are now all but obsolete.

    One of the advantages of conventional prints is that you can simply
    throw prints in a box and they would probably still be viewable 100
    years from now. That certainly isn't true with digital. Your archive
    needs ongoing maintenance to prevent being unable to read the
    collection. Even NASA's JPL let the information from one of their early
    spacecraft slip into obscurity as they are unable to read the tapes that
    the data was stored on, and they don't know the format of the data
    anyway.

    I can think of a bunch of formats that have come and gone since I first
    got involved with personal computers back in 1975:

    IBM Punch Cards
    Punched Paper Tape
    Tarbell Cassette Tape Interface
    8" Floppy Disks
    5.25" Floppy Disks
    Zip & Jaz Drives

    Soon to be obsolete:

    CD-ROMs
    DVDs

    Gary

    Gary Edstrom, Jan 28, 2008
  5. Gary Edstrom wrote:
    []
    > I can think of a bunch of formats that have come and gone since I
    > first got involved with personal computers back in 1975:
    >
    > IBM Punch Cards
    > Punched Paper Tape
    > Tarbell Cassette Tape Interface
    > 8" Floppy Disks
    > 5.25" Floppy Disks
    > Zip & Jaz Drives
    >
    > Soon to be obsolete:
    >
    > CD-ROMs
    > DVDs
    >
    > Gary

    Don't the new drives (HD-DVD, BD) still read CD and DVD?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Peter D Guest

    It's entirely possible that the drive now in use or the drive previously
    used has fallen to the dreaded "Iomega click" problem. Zip drives can fail
    to read their own disks, and can make the disk unreadable in a healthy
    drive. Googling might help.

    What's really needed is more information. If you provided it I'll see if I
    can help (I've recovered several hundred Zip disks and fixed about 20 drives
    over the last five years ro so).

    Peter D, Jan 30, 2008