Recovering files from corrupted HDD?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Apr 20, 2011.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    using to store images of partitions of several computers.

    Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    socket on the computer it was connected to.

    Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
    partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
    formatting before it can be used.

    I guess the problem may be a trashed file table, (but strange that both
    partitions are shown as being unformatted as I assumed their file tables
    would be in separate places).

    Anyway, I'm thinking that most of the files could possibly still be OK if
    there was some way of reconstructing the file tables.

    Good job I was on my own when it happened, as I used some colourful
    language that surprised myself an all.

    Any practical ideas for rescuing the files would be welcome.

    cheers,

    John S

    PS - Yes, I still have some older backups on another drive, but it would
    save me some work if there was a relatively easy way to get at the files
    and recover them.

    John S, Apr 20, 2011

  2. John S

    Squiggle Guest

    On Apr 20, 10:52 pm, John S <> wrote:
    > Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    > using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >
    > Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    > socket on the computer it was connected to.
    >
    > Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
    > partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
    > formatting before it can be used.
    >
    > I guess the problem may be a trashed file table, (but strange that both
    > partitions are shown as being unformatted as I assumed their file tables
    > would be in separate places).
    >
    > Anyway, I'm thinking that most of the files could possibly still be OK if
    > there was some way of reconstructing the file tables.
    >
    > Good job I was on my own when it happened, as I used some colourful
    > language that surprised myself an all.
    >
    > Any practical ideas for rescuing the files would be welcome.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > John S
    >
    > PS - Yes, I still have some older backups on another drive, but it would
    > save me some work if there was a relatively easy way to get at the files
    > and recover them.

    Step 1a) Make a sector level backup image of the corrupt drive before
    you do anything else. I suggest not using one with a stuffed USB
    port :)
    Step 1b) Make another copy...

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk is worth a go, it's saved
    files for me in the past.

    Squiggle, Apr 20, 2011

  3. On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:52:52 +1200, John S <>
    wrote:

    >Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    >using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >
    >Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    >socket on the computer it was connected to.
    >
    >Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
    >partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
    >formatting before it can be used.
    >
    >I guess the problem may be a trashed file table, (but strange that both
    >partitions are shown as being unformatted as I assumed their file tables
    >would be in separate places).
    >
    >Anyway, I'm thinking that most of the files could possibly still be OK if
    >there was some way of reconstructing the file tables.
    >
    >Good job I was on my own when it happened, as I used some colourful
    >language that surprised myself an all.
    >
    >Any practical ideas for rescuing the files would be welcome.
    >
    >cheers,
    >
    >John S
    >
    >PS - Yes, I still have some older backups on another drive, but it would
    >save me some work if there was a relatively easy way to get at the files
    >and recover them.

    What OS and type of Files ie NTFS.

    I think you just need to restore the Partition info and MBR, widows can
    do that with the command consul.

    William Brown, Apr 20, 2011
  4. John S

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 4/21/2011 1:52 AM, William Brown wrote:

    > I think you just need to restore the Partition info and MBR, widows can
    > do that with the command consul.

    Some widows do it with just about anyone, not just the consul.

    Gib Bogle, Apr 21, 2011
  5. In article <fgdztz4e9anc.chbo4gobl368$>,
    d says...

    > Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    > using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >
    > Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    > socket on the computer it was connected to.
    >
    > Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
    > partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
    > formatting before it can be used.
    >
    > I guess the problem may be a trashed file table, (but strange that both
    > partitions are shown as being unformatted as I assumed their file tables
    > would be in separate places).
    >
    > Anyway, I'm thinking that most of the files could possibly still be OK if
    > there was some way of reconstructing the file tables.
    >
    > Good job I was on my own when it happened, as I used some colourful
    > language that surprised myself an all.
    >
    > Any practical ideas for rescuing the files would be welcome.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > John S
    >
    > PS - Yes, I still have some older backups on another drive, but it would
    > save me some work if there was a relatively easy way to get at the files
    > and recover them.

    Google "Photorec". Great piece of software that does not rely on file system
    information to recover files but actually searches sectors on disk. I've
    successfully used it in the past to pull documents off a trashed harddrive.
    Lil' bit of a learning curve (I used the linux version), but hey ...
    I understand there's a MS Windows based version around also, which will be
    easier to use if you're not familiar with commands for root access, mounting
    drives, setting write permissions, and all that jazz in linux.

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

    h.t.h. -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 21, 2011
  6. John S

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:52:25 +1200, William Brown <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >widows can do that with the command consul.

    Before or after the husbands' funerals?

    --

    Ignorance is the coin of the masses ... and some are richer than others.

    Donchano, Apr 22, 2011
  7. John S

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:29:33 +1200, Re: Recovering files from corrupted
    HDD?, Donchano <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:52:25 +1200, William Brown <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>widows can do that with the command consul.

    >Before or after the husbands' funerals?

    During sometimes!

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Msgr Scooter, Apr 22, 2011
  8. John S

    John S Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:59:28 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > In article <fgdztz4e9anc.chbo4gobl368$>,
    > d says...
    >>
    >> Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    >> using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >>
    >> Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    >> socket on the computer it was connected to.

    snip
    > Google "Photorec". Great piece of software that does not rely on file system
    > information to recover files but actually searches sectors on disk. I've
    > successfully used it in the past to pull documents off a trashed harddrive.
    > Lil' bit of a learning curve (I used the linux version), but hey ...
    > I understand there's a MS Windows based version around also, which will be
    > easier to use if you're not familiar with commands for root access, mounting
    > drives, setting write permissions, and all that jazz in linux.
    >
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
    >
    > h.t.h. -P.

    Thanks,

    I've had a quick look at the explanation on the above link, and downloaded
    the two utilities (Test Disk and PhotoRec).

    Will need to do a bit of reading and thinking as it looks a bit
    complicated.

    I have the Terabyte BING software and will see if I can make an image of
    the drive first and work from that (assuming that the recovery software can
    understand the image file type created by BING).

    Eventually will report back on what happened.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Apr 23, 2011
  9. John S

    John S Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:52:25 +1200, William Brown wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:52:52 +1200, John S <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    >>using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >>
    >>Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    >>socket on the computer it was connected to.

    snip

    > What OS and type of Files ie NTFS.
    >
    > I think you just need to restore the Partition info and MBR, widows can
    > do that with the command consul.

    There is no OS on this external HDD.
    File system is NTFS.

    My own computer has Windows XP, but I could plug the drive into other
    computers with Vista or Win 7.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Apr 23, 2011
  10. John S

    John S Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 04:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Squiggle wrote:

    > On Apr 20, 10:52 pm, John S <> wrote:
    >> Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    >> using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >>
    >> Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    >> socket on the computer it was connected to.

    snip

    > Step 1a) Make a sector level backup image of the corrupt drive before
    > you do anything else. I suggest not using one with a stuffed USB
    > port :)
    > Step 1b) Make another copy...
    >
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk is worth a go, it's saved
    > files for me in the past.

    Thanks for the tip.

    Will give it a go.

    (See my reply to Peter Huebner).

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Apr 23, 2011
  11. On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:26:31 +1200, John S <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 04:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> On Apr 20, 10:52 pm, John S <> wrote:
    >>> Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    >>> using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >>>
    >>> Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    >>> socket on the computer it was connected to.
    >>>

    >snip
    >>
    >> Step 1a) Make a sector level backup image of the corrupt drive before
    >> you do anything else. I suggest not using one with a stuffed USB
    >> port :)
    >> Step 1b) Make another copy...
    >>
    >> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk is worth a go, it's saved
    >> files for me in the past.

    >Thanks for the tip.
    >
    >Will give it a go.
    >
    >(See my reply to Peter Huebner).
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John S

    Just restore the masters boot record., MBR other wise I thing you are
    just wasting your time

    William Brown, Apr 24, 2011
  12. On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:23:13 +1200, John S <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:59:28 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    >> In article <fgdztz4e9anc.chbo4gobl368$>,
    >> d says...
    >>>
    >>> Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    >>> using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >>>
    >>> Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    >>> socket on the computer it was connected to.

    >snip
    >> Google "Photorec". Great piece of software that does not rely on file system
    >> information to recover files but actually searches sectors on disk. I've
    >> successfully used it in the past to pull documents off a trashed harddrive.
    >> Lil' bit of a learning curve (I used the linux version), but hey ...
    >> I understand there's a MS Windows based version around also, which will be
    >> easier to use if you're not familiar with commands for root access, mounting
    >> drives, setting write permissions, and all that jazz in linux.
    >>
    >> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
    >>
    >> h.t.h. -P.

    >Thanks,
    >
    >I've had a quick look at the explanation on the above link, and downloaded
    >the two utilities (Test Disk and PhotoRec).
    >
    >Will need to do a bit of reading and thinking as it looks a bit
    >complicated.
    >
    >I have the Terabyte BING software and will see if I can make an image of
    >the drive first and work from that (assuming that the recovery software can
    >understand the image file type created by BING).
    >
    >Eventually will report back on what happened.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John S

    I have not been reading nz.comp for a few days, so I missed this. If
    you still need help recovering the drive, and are willing to pay a
    little, take a look at:

    http://www.dfsee.com

    When you buy a license for DFSee, you get one free fix from the author
    as part of the deal. You run the DFSee script that scans your disk
    and send him the report. He sends back a script that fixes the disk.
    I have done this twice now with corrupt NTFS disks where it was
    partition table damage and he sent back a script pretty quickly both
    times that just fixed it. Well worth the money.

    Stephen Worthington, Apr 29, 2011
  13. On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 03:35:42 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:23:13 +1200, John S <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:59:28 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <fgdztz4e9anc.chbo4gobl368$>,
    >>> d says...

    >>snip
    >>> Google "Photorec". Great piece of software that does not rely on file system
    >>> information to recover files but actually searches sectors on disk. I've
    >>> successfully used it in the past to pull documents off a trashed harddrive.
    >>> Lil' bit of a learning curve (I used the linux version), but hey ...
    >>> I understand there's a MS Windows based version around also, which will be
    >>> easier to use if you're not familiar with commands for root access, mounting
    >>> drives, setting write permissions, and all that jazz in linux.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
    >>>
    >>> h.t.h. -P.

    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>I've had a quick look at the explanation on the above link, and downloaded
    >>the two utilities (Test Disk and PhotoRec).
    >>
    >>Will need to do a bit of reading and thinking as it looks a bit
    >>complicated.
    >>
    >>I have the Terabyte BING software and will see if I can make an image of
    >>the drive first and work from that (assuming that the recovery software can
    >>understand the image file type created by BING).
    >>
    >>Eventually will report back on what happened.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>John S

    >I have not been reading nz.comp for a few days, so I missed this. If
    >you still need help recovering the drive, and are willing to pay a
    >little, take a look at:
    >
    > http://www.dfsee.com
    >
    >When you buy a license for DFSee, you get one free fix from the author
    >as part of the deal. You run the DFSee script that scans your disk
    >and send him the report. He sends back a script that fixes the disk.
    >I have done this twice now with corrupt NTFS disks where it was
    >partition table damage and he sent back a script pretty quickly both
    >times that just fixed it. Well worth the money.

    No No just restore the MBR.

    William Brown, Apr 30, 2011
  14. John S

    John S Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:52:52 +1200, John S wrote:

    > Today I lost the contents of a 500 GB external usb HDD which I have been
    > using to store images of partitions of several computers.
    >
    > Not certain, but I suspect the drive was corrupted because of a faulty usb
    > socket on the computer it was connected to.
    >
    > Connected to another computer, Windows recognises the HDD and its two
    > partitions are given drive letters, but windows says the drive needs
    > formatting before it can be used.

    SNIP

    Just following up my original post to say thanks again for the helpful
    replies, and that the problem is now fixed.

    Testdisk did the trick, (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) but there
    was a fair bit of luck involved, as I didn't know how to use it properly.
    Despite downloading the documentation from the internet, I found that the

    I kinda bumbled around and eventually saw a message telling me to re-boot.

    When I re-started the computer, Windows XP at bootup time showed some text
    on screen which went be too fast to read, but it was to do with fixing file
    problems. Then I found that the directory structure on the disk was back
    again, and the files apparently all OK.

    Happy ending, and very much due to your great and helpful advice which is
    much appreciated.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, May 1, 2011