Recovering erased SanDisk SD card files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by salgud, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. salgud

    salgud Guest

    I have my download software for my SD cards set to erase the images
    after they are downloaded to the computer. I took almost 200 pictures
    in Costa Rica, including my son's wedding, in Feb, downloaded and
    erased the card when I got home.

    Somehow, between late Feb and now, all of the images were erased off my
    harddrive. I don't know how. I did erase some old files off my computer
    one night, but certainly didn't intend to erase those, nor did I think
    I was in any directory where my pix were. But I was talking with a
    friend while I was doing it, so maybe...

    Anyway, I decided to get the software to recover the files and give it
    a try. I called SanDisk, and they sent me to the Rescue Pro site to
    download their software. However, the free download at RescuePro only
    allows you to check to see if it can recover the images. If you want to
    actually recover them, you have to buy the software.

    I Googled for other software, and found and downloaded 3. But the one
    that saved my bacon and recovered all the files was VAIOSoft Recovery
    Manager. Worked perfectly. Easy to use. I highly recommend it for
    anyone as foolish as myself! Or even less so. And it's FREE!

    I don't work for or have any affiliation with VAIOSoft, just grateful
    that their free product did it's job.

    I also learned a lesson. From now on when I download files from my SD
    cards, I won't erase the index. I'll leave it as is until I need it,
    using another card to take pix. When I need to use the SD card, I'll
    erase it in the camera. Then I'll have a backup of the images until
    that moment, just in case. I don't want to go through that again!

    Hope this helps someone else out there.

    salgud, Apr 13, 2006

  2. salgud

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "salgud" <> writes:
    > I also learned a lesson. From now on when I download files from my SD
    > cards, I won't erase the index. I'll leave it as is until I need it,
    > using another card to take pix. When I need to use the SD card, I'll
    > erase it in the camera. Then I'll have a backup of the images until
    > that moment, just in case. I don't want to go through that again!

    My general policy is don't erase a memory card until the contents are
    copied to two separate places. That could mean my hard disk and a
    burned cd, but more recently I've used two hard disks. If I were
    really cautious I'd put away off-site backups all the time too.
    Instead I only do that once in a while.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 13, 2006

  3. salgud

    Mardon Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote:

    <*snip*>
    > I Googled for other software, and found and downloaded 3. But
    > the one that saved my bacon and recovered all the files was
    > VAIOSoft Recovery Manager. Worked perfectly. Easy to use. I
    > highly recommend it for anyone as foolish as myself! Or even
    > less so. And it's FREE!

    I installed it but it doesn't recover CR2 files. :(

    Mardon, May 25, 2006
  4. salgud

    ColinD Guest

    Mardon wrote:

    > "salgud" <> wrote:
    >
    > <*snip*>
    > > I Googled for other software, and found and downloaded 3. But
    > > the one that saved my bacon and recovered all the files was
    > > VAIOSoft Recovery Manager. Worked perfectly. Easy to use. I
    > > highly recommend it for anyone as foolish as myself! Or even
    > > less so. And it's FREE!

    > I installed it but it doesn't recover CR2 files. :(

    Try PC Inspector, also free, and it recovered my 300D RAW files from the
    card.

    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

    Colin D.

    ColinD, May 26, 2006