Recovering Corrupt Jpegs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sanjay.kewlani@gmail.com, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I've seen a number of posts about retrieving deleted jpegs but haven't
    found much useful information on how to recover a corrupt jpeg.

    Here is my problem. I have a number of photos in jpeg format that were
    stored on a RAID 0 stripe set. There seems to be some issue with the
    RAID configuration (I have 4 machines that have done the same thing).
    A number of the jpegs started to get corrupted over time. The images
    are only partially visible and the rest of the image is displayed as a
    gray area.

    I tried using scandisk and managed to recover parts of some of the
    photos but not all of them.

    The thumbnails of the images are fully visible in ACDSee (but not any
    other program). There has been no noticeable change in the size of the
    image file.

    >From all I've gathered off the web it seems as if changes in the

    header information could corrupt the file. Is there any tool out there
    to repair such corrupt jpegs?

    Thanks

    Sanjay

    P.S. I don't want to recover a deleted file but repair a corrupt jpeg

    , Feb 6, 2007

  2. Just D Guest

    <>
    > The thumbnails of the images are fully visible in ACDSee (but not any
    > other program). There has been no noticeable change in the size of the
    > image file.

    This app keeps its own thumbnails, try to press F5 in the folder to refresh
    them and you will get them corrupted as well because they will be refreshed
    using the current files. If you have the images interlaced, then it could be
    a different picture, but anyway you need to keep at least 2-3 copied of your
    stuff. Get your own sad experience!

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Martin Brown Guest

    On Feb 6, 9:32 pm, wrote:
    > I've seen a number of posts about retrieving deleted jpegs but haven't
    > found much useful information on how to recover a corrupt jpeg.

    That is because it is a hard problem, and only soluble in certain
    limited cases by the application of large amount of computing power
    and some intuition. A few bits flipped in the wrong place in a JPEG
    file can render the entire file after that point unreadable by most
    codecs. Typically corrupt JPEGs if they will display at all show grey,
    black or crazy patterns or the image pastel or psycadelic colours with
    various lateral shifts.

    Web browsers are about the most tolerant of corrupt streams of
    commercial applications. PhotoShop is the most unforgiving.

    > Here is my problem. I have a number of photos in jpeg format that were
    > stored on a RAID 0 stripe set. There seems to be some issue with the
    > RAID configuration (I have 4 machines that have done the same thing).

    Are you sure it isn't a virus then ?

    > A number of the jpegs started to get corrupted over time. The images
    > are only partially visible and the rest of the image is displayed as a
    > gray area.

    That is characteristic of what happens when parts of the file are no
    longer realy there (despite what the directory entry may say).

    > I tried using scandisk and managed to recover parts of some of the
    > photos but not all of them.
    >
    > The thumbnails of the images are fully visible in ACDSee (but not any
    > other program). There has been no noticeable change in the size of the
    > image file.

    ISTR ACDSee makes a private cache of the thumbnails so that is no
    guide.

    It is a very bad sign that no other program can see thumbnails in the
    corrupt files. Most times the header does survive well enough to
    display a thumbnail, it is only when you try to open the main image
    that the application finds the stream is corrupt.

    > >From all I've gathered off the web it seems as if changes in the

    > header information could corrupt the file. Is there any tool out there
    > to repair such corrupt jpegs?

    Not at present, although I am working on one. A crude test of whether
    there is anything left to recover is to try ZIP compressing a few of
    the damaged images. If they will compress by more than 5% then they
    are probably gone forever.

    I'd be willing to take a look at 3 consecutive corrupt images to see
    if there is any prospect of repairing the damage.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Asle Bjerva Guest

    Martin Brown wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 9:32 pm, wrote:
    >> I've seen a number of posts about retrieving deleted jpegs but
    >> haven't found much useful information on how to recover a corrupt
    >> jpeg.

    >>> From all I've gathered off the web it seems as if changes in the

    >> header information could corrupt the file. Is there any tool out
    >> there to repair such corrupt jpegs?

    > Not at present, although I am working on one. A crude test of whether
    > there is anything left to recover is to try ZIP compressing a few of
    > the damaged images. If they will compress by more than 5% then they
    > are probably gone forever.
    >
    > I'd be willing to take a look at 3 consecutive corrupt images to see
    > if there is any prospect of repairing the damage.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin Brown

    Try
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
    Their professional tool version can rebuild damaged files.
    --
    AsleB;Oslo, Norway

    Asle Bjerva, Feb 7, 2007
  5. Ed-sp Guest