    setup.

    --
    Bill
    WeeWilly, Oct 30, 2003

  2. WeeWilly

    philo Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When I migrated from 98 to XP I transferred all my data files to XP

    machine.
    > They were save in "old computer"
    >
    > I thought I transferred them out of "old computer" to my new documents
    > directory.
    >
    > Something happened.. and I can't find them. I did a search for the
    > directory that I'm looking for and the directory is there but when it

    finds
    > the shortcut to that directory is says it points to something that's not
    > there.
    >
    > Is there a way to recover any of this? I'm not sure when this happened..
    > but I understand XP has a way of going back and fixing the last known good
    > setup.

    i think you merely made a shortcut to the files rather than really
    transfer them

    you just need to copy them over again
    making sure they are on your new machine
    philo, Oct 30, 2003

  3. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    The shortcut is pointing to the wrong location. Are you
    sure you copied the actual files over, and not just a
    shortcut? Have you tried opening Windows Explorer
    and actually looking for the supposed folder?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:50:54 -0800, in
    <>
    WeeWilly scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 30, 2003
  4. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    > i think you merely made a shortcut to the files rather than really
    transfer them

    > you just need to copy them over again making sure they are on your new

    machine

    They were there up until Oct 20..

    Now everything seems gone. I have no backup yet on this new machine

    Does System Restore help here or is it just for getting you back to what was
    a stable system in the past?
    WeeWilly, Oct 30, 2003
  5. WeeWilly

    philo Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > > i think you merely made a shortcut to the files rather than really

    > transfer them
    > >
    > > you just need to copy them over again making sure they are on your new

    > machine
    >
    > They were there up until Oct 20..
    >
    > Now everything seems gone. I have no backup yet on this new machine
    >
    > Does System Restore help here or is it just for getting you back to what

    was
    > a stable system in the past?

    i don't think system restore will help give back lost files

    if they were really there...then you may need some data recovery software

    until you get it you should stop using your machine
    because the lost files may be overwritten
    philo, Oct 30, 2003
  6. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    > i don't think system restore will help give back lost files
    >
    > if they were really there...then you may need some data recovery software
    >
    > until you get it you should stop using your machine
    > because the lost files may be overwritten

    It seems years ago I had a utility that would restore lost data files...

    Can anyone recommend one?
    WeeWilly, Oct 30, 2003
  7. WeeWilly

    Liz Guest

    "WeeWilly" wrote:
    > When I migrated from 98 to XP I transferred all my data files to XP machine.
    > They were save in "old computer"
    >
    > I thought I transferred them out of "old computer" to my new documents
    > directory.
    >
    > Something happened.. and I can't find them. I did a search for the
    > directory that I'm looking for and the directory is there but when it finds
    > the shortcut to that directory is says it points to something that's not there.

    A common problem with profiles is that, for some reason, you end up with
    more than one profile for a user account. The symptom is, all of a sudden,
    your documents are missing, this usually occurs when you join a domain and
    then log on using the same user name as you used before joining the domain.
    In this case, you have created two user accounts: a local account and a domain
    account and each account is associated with its own profile.

    You can try taking ownership of the folders contents and see if that helps.
    Locate the documents folder, right-click and choose Properties> Security tab>
    OK on the Security message (if one appears). Click Advanced> Owner tab.
    In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as
    Administrator...Continue here: How to Take Ownership of a Folder

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421#2
    Liz, Oct 30, 2003
  8. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Re: Recover Lost Files? (Liz)

    Liz.. I don't know if this will be of any help to my current situation..
    but, I just wanted to compliment you on the way you answer people. It is
    like "handholding" for a relative novice like me.. rather than a cryptic one
    word/URL answer. Sometimes those work for me.. but usually I'm left
    confused.

    Keep up the good work..

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Oct 30, 2003
  9. WeeWilly

    Sherry Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > > i don't think system restore will help give back lost files
    > >
    > > if they were really there...then you may need some data recovery

    software

    > > until you get it you should stop using your machine
    > > because the lost files may be overwritten

    > It seems years ago I had a utility that would restore lost data files...
    >
    > Can anyone recommend one?

    I've used this & seemed to work pretty well:

    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    Sherry, Oct 30, 2003
  10. WeeWilly

    Liz Guest

    Re: Recover Lost Files? (Liz)

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote
    > Liz.. I don't know if this will be of any help to my current situation..
    > but, I just wanted to compliment you on the way you answer people.
    > It is like "handholding" for a relative novice like me...

    Thanks for the kind words, Bill.
    I enjoy sharing information with other posters.
    But I don't hold hands. I am a wanderer,
    I only come here to pick up a doughnut.
    See, you can't judge a book by its cover! :)

    --
    So, lets all hold hands and cry.
    Liz, Oct 31, 2003
  11. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Re: Recover Lost Files? (Liz)

    >> It is like "handholding" for a relative novice like me...

    > Thanks for the kind words, Bill.
    > I enjoy sharing information with other posters.
    > But I don't hold hands. I am a wanderer,

    :) sheesh.. didn't mean it that way.. :)
    Willy
    WeeWilly, Oct 31, 2003
  12. WeeWilly

    Jody Wilkes Guest

    "Sherry" <sherry@no_junkfinnmarketing.com> wrote in message news:<4ebob.28$>...
    > "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > > > i don't think system restore will help give back lost files
    > > >
    > > > if they were really there...then you may need some data recovery

    > software
    > > >
    > > > until you get it you should stop using your machine
    > > > because the lost files may be overwritten

    > > It seems years ago I had a utility that would restore lost data files...
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend one?
    > >

    > I've used this & seemed to work pretty well:
    >
    > http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

    We make a cheap data recovery software that is one of the best around.
    It is called GetDataBack. We have a demo on our web page that you can
    download and test out. The address is http://www.runtime.org. If you
    have any questions, feel free to contact me.

    Thank you,
    Jody Wilkes
    Runtime Software
    Jody Wilkes, Nov 4, 2003