    well, but you have to buy it before it does anything. Kinda expensive.
    I'll go this route if nobody has a cheaper alternative. Thanks.

    -Shawn

    Shawn, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Shawn

    Gray Ghost Guest

    "Shawn" <> wrote in
    news:ReS6b.384250$YN5.255896@sccrnsc01:

    > Hi,
    > I am using a HP Pavilion running on XP Home. I decided to fool around
    > with it this weekend and tried installing linux. But somewhere along
    > the line I deleted my D(recovery) drive. It was actually part of my C
    > drive. That's the way it came when I bought it. I need this D drive
    > (or partition, whatever it's called) back! But I don't know how to do
    > it.
    >
    > I downloaded some software from partition-recovery.com but it doesn't
    > seem to work well. I get a "This application has attempted to
    > directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This
    > program may function incorrectly" error message. Does anyone know a
    > way I can recover my deleted partition?
    >
    > BTW, I downloaded the "EasyRecovery DataRecovery Tool". That seems to
    > work well, but you have to buy it before it does anything. Kinda
    > expensive. I'll go this route if nobody has a cheaper alternative.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Shawn

    Shawn my friend... most likely your data is gone. As it would be when you
    installed Linux it formatted the partition that your data on your "d" drive
    lived. If it had merely erased the FAT or file allocation table you might
    be able to get it back, but most likely it's toast as new files have been
    written over it when you installed Linux.

    -gg-

    Gray Ghost, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Shawn

    Boomer Guest

    Gray Ghost said:

    > "Shawn" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I am using a HP Pavilion running on XP Home. I decided to fool
    >> around with it this weekend and tried installing linux. But
    >> somewhere along the line I deleted my D(recovery) drive. It
    >> was actually part of my C drive. That's the way it came when I
    >> bought it. I need this D drive (or partition, whatever it's
    >> called) back! But I don't know how to do it.
    >>
    >> I downloaded some software from partition-recovery.com but it
    >> doesn't seem to work well. I get a "This application has
    >> attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be
    >> supported. This program may function incorrectly" error
    >> message. Does anyone know a way I can recover my deleted
    >> partition?
    >>
    >> BTW, I downloaded the "EasyRecovery DataRecovery Tool". That
    >> seems to work well, but you have to buy it before it does
    >> anything. Kinda expensive. I'll go this route if nobody has a
    >> cheaper alternative. Thanks.
    >>
    >> -Shawn
    >>

    > Shawn my friend... most likely your data is gone. As it would
    > be when you installed Linux it formatted the partition that your
    > data on your "d" drive lived. If it had merely erased the FAT
    > or file allocation table you might be able to get it back, but
    > most likely it's toast as new files have been written over it
    > when you installed Linux.
    >
    > -gg-

    It's a ghost!!! ;)

    How the heck are you??

    Boomer, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Shawn

    Gray Ghost Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in news:3f5bfdd3$0$51608
    $:

    > Gray Ghost said:
    >
    >> "Shawn" <> wrote in

    <snipped for its lack of relevancy to what is to be said
    below...professionally by the ghost with the most>

    >> Shawn my friend... most likely your data is gone. As it would
    >> be when you installed Linux it formatted the partition that your
    >> data on your "d" drive lived. If it had merely erased the FAT
    >> or file allocation table you might be able to get it back, but
    >> most likely it's toast as new files have been written over it
    >> when you installed Linux.
    >>
    >> -gg-

    > It's a ghost!!! ;)
    >
    > How the heck are you??

    Hey there Miss Boomer :)
    *hands you a kiwi from Austrailia*
    Enjoy :)

    I've been here and there and everywhere. On the plus side I've only been
    in the office like 8 days in two months... yay for being single and on
    the road a lot.

    Oh well, I just thought that I would pop onto here from my new pad here
    near the DC.

    But yeah, things are going good. I've learned a lot about Unix and
    troubleshooting it and thinking that there's going to be an increase in
    my paycheck once I get my certifications out of the way and what not. :)

    24 years old and ready to rock some shell scripts baby!

    Hmmm, okay, Timmy, Yahoo and Google are demanding that I hang out with
    them as I haven't been around the house that much recently.

    Tah tah,
    -gg-

    By the way, how are you?

    Gray Ghost, Sep 9, 2003
  5. Shawn

    Boomer Guest

    Gray Ghost said:

    > Boomer <> wrote in

    [snip]
    >> It's a ghost!!! ;)
    >>
    >> How the heck are you??

    > Hey there Miss Boomer :)
    > *hands you a kiwi from Austrailia*
    > Enjoy :)

    Ooooooh YUM! Thank you very much?

    Hands gg two donuts. :)

    > I've been here and there and everywhere. On the plus side I've
    > only been in the office like 8 days in two months... yay for
    > being single and on the road a lot.

    Do you like being on the road? Sounds great to me!

    > Oh well, I just thought that I would pop onto here from my new
    > pad here near the DC.

    Arlington? Georgetown? <bg>

    > But yeah, things are going good. I've learned a lot about Unix
    > and troubleshooting it and thinking that there's going to be an
    > increase in my paycheck once I get my certifications out of the
    > way and what not. :)

    When will that be? I'm mucho happy and excited for you! :)

    > 24 years old and ready to rock some shell scripts baby!

    You go kid! ;)

    > Hmmm, okay, Timmy, Yahoo and Google are demanding that I hang
    > out with them as I haven't been around the house that much
    > recently.
    >
    > Tah tah,
    > -gg-

    Tell them hi for me. (I miss 'um.)

    > By the way, how are you?

    Same. Same. Not much new. Which is good, I guess. :)

    Take care and please drop by more often!!!! :)

    Boomer, Sep 9, 2003
  6. Shawn

    Gray Ghost Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in news:3f5d422e$0$51588
    $:
    > Gray Ghost said:
    >
    >> Boomer <> wrote in

    > [snip]
    >>> It's a ghost!!! ;)
    >>> How the heck are you??

    >> Hey there Miss Boomer :)
    >> *hands you a kiwi from Austrailia*
    >> Enjoy :)

    > Ooooooh YUM! Thank you very much?
    >
    > Hands gg two donuts. :)

    No thanks, I'm trying to cut back on that sort of stuff in honor of Mr.
    Al, the super plonker.

    >> I've been here and there and everywhere. On the plus side I've
    >> only been in the office like 8 days in two months... yay for
    >> being single and on the road a lot.

    > Do you like being on the road? Sounds great to me!

    It's okay as long as I'm with one or two people I know. This week coming
    up I'll be on my own the better part of the time. So this week I have in
    Florida is going to be okay, but I guess it'll be semi boring since I
    won't have anyone to run around town with.

    >> Oh well, I just thought that I would pop onto here from my new
    >> pad here near the DC.

    > Arlington? Georgetown? <bg>

    Begins with an 'A', but not Arlington.

    >> But yeah, things are going good. I've learned a lot about Unix
    >> and troubleshooting it and thinking that there's going to be an
    >> increase in my paycheck once I get my certifications out of the
    >> way and what not. :)

    > When will that be? I'm mucho happy and excited for you! :)

    Eh, I guess I would have to take the cert courses, but hey, let's just
    say that I'm one of the people they like to call in to fix things on the
    weekends... fun at times, but sad at others.

    >> 24 years old and ready to rock some shell scripts baby!

    > You go kid! ;)

    Thanks =) How are your daughters?

    >> Hmmm, okay, Timmy, Yahoo and Google are demanding that I hang
    >> out with them as I haven't been around the house that much
    >> recently.

    > Tell them hi for me. (I miss 'um.)

    Yeah, Timmy is a trouble maker I tell you. Two teddy bears + Timmy, oi
    vey.

    >> By the way, how are you?

    > Same. Same. Not much new. Which is good, I guess. :)
    >
    > Take care and please drop by more often!!!! :)

    You're always more than welcome to e-mail me or IM me you know...

    gg

    Gray Ghost, Sep 9, 2003
  7. Shawn

    Boomer Guest

    Gray Ghost said:
    [snip]

    > You're always more than welcome to e-mail me or IM me you
    > know...

    I would like to do that! :)
    I'll have to see if I can dig out that info.

    Boomer, Sep 9, 2003
  8. Shawn

    Gray Ghost Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in news:3f5d501e$0$51588
    $:

    > Gray Ghost said:
    > [snip]
    >
    >> You're always more than welcome to e-mail me or IM me you
    >> know...

    > I would like to do that! :)
    > I'll have to see if I can dig out that info.

    You can always e-mail me...*hug*

    Gray Ghost, Sep 9, 2003
  9. Shawn

    Boomer Guest

    Gray Ghost said:

    > Boomer <> wrote in
    > news:3f5d501e$0$51588 $:
    >
    >> Gray Ghost said:
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> You're always more than welcome to e-mail me or IM me you
    >>> know...

    >> I would like to do that! :)
    >> I'll have to see if I can dig out that info.

    > You can always e-mail me...*hug*

    I will, once I dig out your addy. :)

    {gg}

    Boomer, Sep 9, 2003
  10. Shawn

    Gray Ghost Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in news:3f5d6dee$0$51631
    $:

    > Gray Ghost said:
    >
    >> Boomer <> wrote in
    >> news:3f5d501e$0$51588 $:
    >>
    >>> Gray Ghost said:
    >>> [snip]

    >>> I would like to do that! :)
    >>> I'll have to see if I can dig out that info.

    >> You can always e-mail me...*hug*

    > I will, once I dig out your addy. :)

    That might not work since I sort of no longer have a grayghost@____.___

    Try