    deleted with U.S. DoD 5200.28.-STD.

    Thanks.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Lloyd Jones

    Pen Guest

    Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recommend a program that can recover data 100% after it's

    been

    Pen, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

    What a helpful post!

    I usually use 35 passes, but I really need them files back.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    VWWall Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:
    >>Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

    > What a helpful post!
    >
    > I usually use 35 passes, but I really need them files back.

    You must really have time to waste! Or terrible secrets? ;-)

    If you can find a "program" that will recover data after it's been
    written over just once, you'll make a fortune!:)

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    VWWall, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Well that's a damn shame I can't get them files back they we're important.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    You aren't going to get it back Lloyd. That's kind of the point.

    Thor, Jul 5, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I could get it back,but it will cost me bucks.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > I could get it back,but it will cost me bucks.
    >
    > LJ

    Actually, you can't, unless by "will cost me bucks", you mean "will cost me
    however much money it takes to develop the new technology to do what no one
    in the world can currently do."

    Data is stored on a hard drive by setting the individual bits in the media
    to either zero or one. The U.S. DoD 5200.28.-STD requires that all of the
    bits be re-written a minimum of seven times. There's no technology in the
    world that can look at an individual bit and tell you whether it was a zero
    or a one **seven writes ago**.

    Look at it this way - if it were only a matter of money, there are countries
    that would happily spend any amount of money to recover data that's been
    wiped using the DoD standard.

    Scott Gardner

    Scott Gardner, Jul 5, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    VWWall Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > I could get it back,but it will cost me bucks.

    This was the latest (1996) on "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and
    Solid-State Memory". Peter Gutmann's paper is the basis of secure
    deletion methods. He has since stated that's it's even harder to
    recover data from hard drives that use modern recording techniques.

    http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/full_papers/gutmann/index.html

    http://tinyurl.com/3753t (if the above wraps)

    If a drive has failed mechanically or electronically, it may be possible
    to recover some of the date. If the magnetic medium has been
    over-written, it's almost impossible to do so, even with magnetic force
    microscopy described by Gutmann. This involves removing the platters
    and using magnetic imaging.

    A software program which can be used in a computer to recover data that
    has been overwritten even once is not possible with modern drives.

    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Jul 5, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > >Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

    > What a helpful post!
    >
    > I usually use 35 passes, but I really need them files back.

    Use your backup of the files then. Sheesh.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 5, 2004
  11. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >Use your backup of the files then. Sheesh

    I had a back-up I wouldn't be so pissed off!

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 5, 2004
  12. Lloyd Jones wrote:

    >>Use your backup of the files then. Sheesh

    > I had a back-up I wouldn't be so pissed off!
    >
    > LJ

    Well, if you routinely use a 35-pass wiping method to delete your files, and
    don't have a current working backup set, your predicament should come as no
    surprise to you - in fact, it was almost inevitable.

    The data's irrevocably gone. No amount of money or time will bring it back.
    Sometimes you just have to start over. We've all been there at one time or
    another, so you have our sympathies, but in this case, you're SOL.

    Scott Gardner

    Scott Gardner, Jul 5, 2004
  13. Plato wrote:
    > Lloyd Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> Isn't the whole point of 7 pass wiping to prevent that?

    >> What a helpful post!
    >>
    >> I usually use 35 passes, but I really need them files back.

    > Use your backup of the files then

    ..... plagiarise something from a website somewhere.

    Ed Jablonowski, Jul 6, 2004
  14. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Shut the fuckup dick weed.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 6, 2004
  15. Lloyd Jones wrote:
    > Shut the fuckup dick weed.

    Make me, you sneaking, infectious hog.

    PS: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

    Lloyd Jones, the cack-handed, inching slam pig, Jul 6, 2004
  16. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    P.S If I want your opinion I'll give it to you!

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 6, 2004
  17. Lloyd Jones wrote:
    > P.S If I want your opinion I'll give it to you!
    >
    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

    WOW! How original. How long did it take you come up with that?

    Lloyd Jones, the trapped, sheltering boar-pig, Jul 6, 2004
  18. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    About errrrrrrrr...

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 6, 2004
  19. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Are you always this stupid?

    Or are you making a special effort today!

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jul 6, 2004
  20. Lloyd Jones wrote:
    > Are you always this stupid?
    >
    > Or are you making a special effort today!

    WOW! You are a fount of old lames, aren't you? Will you be my heroine?

    Lloyd Jones, the fogbound, rumpling dustbin, Jul 6, 2004