    Anyway, how can I override the Windows XP securities in place on this HD and
    access the data on my second hard-disk?

    TIA

    Jase, Feb 18, 2004

  2. "Jase" <> wrote in message
    news:c0vl85$1coq3g$-berlin.de...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently reformatted my primary HD and reinstalled Windows XP on it.
    > Before I did this I backed up a lot of my data onto my second HD, which

    had
    > securities on it allowing only my old user access to it.
    >
    > Since running my newly installed OS I've found that I can't get access to
    > the data. It now makes sense as it sees me a different user.
    >
    > Anyway, how can I override the Windows XP securities in place on this HD

    and
    > access the data on my second hard-disk?

    If the security is just a file and folder ownership issue then this is
    easily accomplished by "taking ownership" and resetting the permissions on
    the files/folders.
    See the Help and Support for "take ownership"

    If however the folders have been secured using the EFS (Encrypting File
    System) then unless you exported your certificates and keys (and/or the
    recovery agents certs/keys - if you created one) then you will not be able
    to access those file/folders regardless of permissions and ownership - since
    you have lost the keys required to decrypt the data.

    Finally Jase - as an IBM employee as your e-mail address implies - you might
    as well just ring the internal help desk.
    If you are not an IBM employee then you are using an e-mail address that may
    belong to someone else and your inadvertent or deliberate (miss)use of this
    in a public newsgroup could result in an increase in junk mail that person
    may receive or in the case of IBM additional work for the junk mail filters.

    --
    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Feb 18, 2004

  3. Jase

    johns Guest

    As administrator .. under properties / security for the
    old drive ( you may need to go to tools .. view ..
    and uncheck "use simple sharing" to see security ),
    check the box that tells the system to give admin
    rights .. and override all child blah, blah, blah ..
    that is all there is to it. MAKE SURE administrator
    is included under security .. if not, add "administrator"
    and then check the box to give full rights ... then do
    the inherit thing.

    johns

    johns, Feb 18, 2004