    let me know.

    This all happend in the same day

    Thanks in advance.
    Daniel, Apr 17, 2006

  2. Daniel

    Mac Guest

    To get the best result don't do anything on comp A until you get a recovery
    utility recommendation that will work for you - any activity on comp A could
    overwrite parts or all of the deleted files... and become unrecoverable, I'm
    sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to advise you on actual
    tools/procedure - but don't use comp A

    Mac, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Daniel

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Alright here is my problem:
    >
    > I moved files from comp A to comp B
    > I formatted comp b so I lost all my data, can I still retrieve it from
    > comp A where I only moved the files? I did some research myself but I
    > found alot of options, if anyone knows a good program for this please
    > let me know.

    Restorer 2000
    www.bitmart.net

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Daniel wrote:

    > Alright here is my problem:
    >
    > I moved files from comp A to comp B
    > I formatted comp b so I lost all my data, can I still retrieve it from
    > comp A where I only moved the files? I did some research myself but I
    > found alot of options, if anyone knows a good program for this please
    > let me know.
    >
    > This all happend in the same day

    Your chances to recover data off A or B depend upon what you already did
    after moving or formatting: the less you did the better they are.
    I would go with the "formatted" computer first, and use a 2nd drive to
    install a recovery program or/and move the data to.
    Do _not_ attempt to install any, not even a recovery program, on the
    partition you have data to restore off, and do not boot into windows on
    computer A anymore. You need some floppy or liveCD, or a OS installed on a
    2nd partition or disk.
    Now I would go with http://download.pcinspector.de/pci_filerecovery.exe
    first.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Daniel

    beenthere Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Alright here is my problem:
    >
    > I moved files from comp A to comp B
    > I formatted comp b so I lost all my data, can I still retrieve it from
    > comp A where I only moved the files? I did some research myself but I
    > found alot of options, if anyone knows a good program for this please
    > let me know.
    >
    > This all happend in the same day
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    PCI File Recovery v4. Free at
    www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm.
    beenthere, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Daniel

    JANA Guest

    If you moved all the files from computer A to computer B. The files should
    be on both. If you format the drive on computer A or computer B, the files
    should still be on the opposite computer that you did not format the drive.

    If the files are not accessible on the opposite computer, then they
    obviously either were corrupt, or you never checked that they were there in
    the first place.

    After transferring files to another computer, it is common sense to verify
    that they are actually at the new location, and that they are useable. If
    you don't do that, then you are subject to the chance of losing them.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 17, 2006
  7. Daniel

    Mac Guest

    Not quite a "move" (ie cut/paste) is not the same as a "copy" (ie
    copy/paste) - but they should still be on comp A in a deleted state.

    Mac, Apr 17, 2006
  8. Daniel wrote:

    > I moved files from comp A to comp B
    > I formatted comp b so I lost all my data, can I still retrieve it from
    > comp A where I only moved the files? I did some research myself but I
    > found alot of options, if anyone knows a good program for this please
    > let me know.

    "Deleting" a file doesn't actually delete it; it just marks the space as
    available to be used. There are third-party programs that can sometimes
    recover deleted files. The problem is that the space used by the file is
    likely to become overwritten very quickly, and this makes the file
    unrecoverable.

    So your chances of successfully recovering this file are decent if you try
    recovering it immediately after deleting it, and rapidly go downhill from
    there. If you've been using the computer since then (for example to write
    this question and read this answer), your chances are probably very poor by
    now.

    But if the file is important enough, it's worth a try anyway. Stop using the
    computer in question immediately, if you haven't done so already. Download
    an undelete program (here's one:
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html but there are several others
    to choose from; do a Google search) on a friend's computer and bring it to
    yours on a floppy to try.

    If this fails, your only other recourse is to take the drive to a
    professional file recovery company. This kind of service is very expensive
    and may or may not work in your case.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
    Ken Blake, MVP, Apr 17, 2006
  9. JANA wrote:

    > If you moved all the files from computer A to computer B. The files
    > should be on both.

    No, he says he "moved" the files. "Move," unlike "copy," implies that the
    original is gone. A move is equivalent to a copy plus a delete. If he truly
    moved them, they are gone from computer A. They *may* be recoverable (see my
    other post oin this thread), but they may not be.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
    Ken Blake, MVP, Apr 17, 2006
  10. Daniel

    thanatoid Guest

    "Ken Blake, MVP" <> wrote in

    > JANA wrote:
    >
    >> If you moved all the files from computer A to computer B.
    >> The files should be on both.

    > No, he says he "moved" the files. "Move," unlike "copy,"
    > implies that the original is gone. A move is equivalent to
    > a copy plus a delete. If he truly moved them, they are gone
    > from computer A. They *may* be recoverable (see my other
    > post oin this thread), but they may not be.

    Aren't you contradicting yourself in your two posts? First you
    say "delete" doesn't really delete, which most people should
    know by now, anyway.

    In the next post, you say "moved = copy/delete". You JUST SAID
    delete doesn't REALLY delete? Didn't you?

    Is this part of MVP training? M$ staff are pretty good at this
    kind of thing.

    (Just a little humor, don't get personally offended please.)

    Not to mention the fact that since the OP does not appear to be
    an expert - and even an expert could have accidentally misused
    the words - he may well have actually *copied* but used the term
    *moved*.

    OP:
    Check the "first" drive with one of the restoration utilities
    Ken mentioned. It's probably all there. (Just for the hell of
    it, check the recycle bin first.)

    --
    "everything's ducky"
    thanatoid, Apr 17, 2006
  11. thanatoid wrote:

    > "Ken Blake, MVP" <> wrote in
    >
    >> JANA wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you moved all the files from computer A to computer B.
    >>> The files should be on both.

    >> No, he says he "moved" the files. "Move," unlike "copy,"
    >> implies that the original is gone. A move is equivalent to
    >> a copy plus a delete. If he truly moved them, they are gone
    >> from computer A. They *may* be recoverable (see my other
    >> post oin this thread), but they may not be.
    >>

    > Aren't you contradicting yourself in your two posts?

    No.

    > First you
    > say "delete" doesn't really delete, which most people should
    > know by now, anyway.

    "Should know" doesn't mean "does know." Many people don't know. If the OP
    knew it, he probably wouldn't have asked the question.

    > In the next post, you say "moved = copy/delete". You JUST SAID
    > delete doesn't REALLY delete? Didn't you?

    Yes, I did. Nevertheless "move" does equal copy plus delete. The problem is
    that the word "delete: is used in two different ways and you're mixing them
    up. When I say "move equals copy plus delete," I mean "delete "in the normal
    sense of what people mean when say they delete a file: they press
    shift-delete, or delete and then clear out the recycle bin. That makes the
    file invisible and unaccessable, but doesn't actually remove it.

    When I say "delete doesn't really delete," the first "delete" in that
    sentence is the use above; the second delete is used to mean that the file
    has not actually been .removed from the drive.

    > Is this part of MVP training? M$ staff are pretty good at this
    > kind of thing.

    Lest you be confused, neither I nor any other MVP is a Microsoft employees.
    MVPs are volunteers. The title "MVP" is honorary, and MVPs get awarded the
    title by providing regular helpful advice, here in the newsgroups and
    elsewhere.

    Rerad about the MVP program here:
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpexecsum

    > (Just a little humor, don't get personally offended please.)

    I'm not offended at all. If you meant this as humor, what I wrote above may
    be something you already know, but I wrote it anyway to clarify the
    situation for others who may not understand.

    > Not to mention the fact that since the OP does not appear to be
    > an expert - and even an expert could have accidentally misused
    > the words - he may well have actually *copied* but used the term
    > *moved*.

    That actually occurred to me, whicdh is why, in my second message in this
    thread, I said " If he truly
    moved them, they are gone from computer A" I originally wrote the sentence
    without the words " If he truly
    moved them," then added them for just that reason. But also note the subject
    line if the thread: he uses the phrase "after it's deleted," which certainly
    implies that he actually did move it, not do a copy.

    > OP:
    > Check the "first" drive with one of the restoration utilities
    > Ken mentioned. It's probably all there. (Just for the hell of
    > it, check the recycle bin first.)

    It certainly doesn't hurt to do as you suggest and check the recycle bin
    first. But my guess is that it's not there and that an undelete utility
    won't find it either. I hope I'm wrong, but the problem is that by the time
    most people get around to asking the question here, the computer has been
    used for a while and the space has been reused.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
    Ken Blake, MVP, Apr 17, 2006
  12. Daniel

    thanatoid Guest

    "Ken Blake, MVP" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> "Ken Blake, MVP" <> wrote
    >> in news::

    >>> No, he says he "moved" the files. "Move," unlike "copy,"
    >>> implies that the original is gone. A move is equivalent
    >>> to a copy plus a delete. If he truly moved them, they are
    >>> gone from computer A. They *may* be recoverable (see my
    >>> other post oin this thread), but they may not be.
    >>>

    >> Aren't you contradicting yourself in your two posts?

    > No.
    >
    >> First you
    >> say "delete" doesn't really delete, which most people
    >> should know by now, anyway.

    > "Should know" doesn't mean "does know." Many people don't
    > know. If the OP knew it, he probably wouldn't have asked
    > the question.
    >
    >> In the next post, you say "moved = copy/delete". You JUST
    >> SAID delete doesn't REALLY delete? Didn't you?

    > Yes, I did. Nevertheless "move" does equal copy plus
    > delete. The problem is that the word "delete: is used in
    > two different ways and you're mixing them up.

    I prefer to call what I did "pointing out a subtle distinction
    without spelling it all out" (which you do next).

    > When I say
    > "move equals copy plus delete," I mean "delete "in the
    > normal sense of what people mean when say they delete a
    > file: they press shift-delete, or delete and then clear out
    > the recycle bin. That makes the file invisible and
    > unaccessable, but doesn't actually remove it.
    >
    > When I say "delete doesn't really delete," the first
    > "delete" in that sentence is the use above; the second
    > delete is used to mean that the file has not actually been
    > .removed from the drive.

    I am not QUITE following this. I will refrain from making M$
    jokes, and I do know MVP's are not M$ employees, but M$ software
    being what it is, they are either Mother Theresas of the
    computer world, or masochists, or both...

    (Hmmm..........)
    [this is a one-word joke for cynical non-believers]

    How about (if you care to answer me, and it's probably not worth
    it since I am not REALLY disagreeing with you, and your advice
    to the OP was very good) we use the terms delete (in recycle bin
    or somewhere else on your machine - like at the tail end of a
    Word document /wink/ when you look at it in a non-MS text
    editor) and DELETE for the "deleted from RBin and have to use
    Rest. or something else to get it IF you haven't overwritten
    it".

    (I suppose there could be a D*E*L*E*T*E if you employ a data
    recovery company or buy a $500 program, but I can't think of
    many individuals who would care enough to pay for such things.)

    It would be *nice* if the OP posted a little note mentioning
    exactly what he did and what happened en the end.. So many
    people never bother. I once just THANKED someone for his advice
    and he was SHOCKED!

    Regards
    t.
    thanatoid, Apr 18, 2006
  13. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Thanks for the help everyone, I used a recovery program and saved some
    of my files, it couldn't restore them all though. I still havea
    question though:

    The comp I did the restore had been used a little bit, would I have
    even lost the data if the comp was just turned on without doing
    anything except for sharing internet?

    Thanks again,

    Dan
    Daniel, Apr 19, 2006
  14. Daniel

    thanatoid Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in

    > Thanks for the help everyone, I used a recovery program and
    > saved some of my files, it couldn't restore them all
    > though. I still havea question though:
    >
    > The comp I did the restore had been used a little bit,
    > would I have even lost the data if the comp was just turned
    > on without doing anything except for sharing internet?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Dan

    You're very lucky if you can restore EVERY file. Some may be
    corrupted a little bit, some beyond help. That's when data
    recovery companies (at $500 or so) come in.

    Not sure what you mean by 'sharing internet", and every net
    connection DOES write SOME data to the disk, but most of it may
    still be there.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #1
    It's OK to talk with your mouth full as long as stuff doesn't
    thanatoid, Apr 19, 2006
  15. Daniel

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Thanks for the help everyone, I used a recovery program and saved some
    > of my files, it couldn't restore them all though. I still havea
    > question though:
    >
    > The comp I did the restore had been used a little bit, would I have
    > even lost the data if the comp was just turned on without doing
    > anything except for sharing internet?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Dan

    If you ever have an accident the only course
    I would advise is: FREEZE!!!!. Dont do anything,
    but think for a few seconds, and then I would do a
    forced shutdown(with the power switch).

    Dont try to find out the damage under Windows.
    Anything you try to do/examine,will cause log and temp
    data to overwrite what is at that moment "empty space".
    Boot instead from a recovery floppy/CD,and see what
    damage you can undo.
    If you have GOST2003,you might even make an image
    copy of the disk concerned , first.
    Then you can undo your repair work,if it fails.
    I have pulled a few rescue disks from the net
    with ntfs recovery support(dont have a link)
    whenever I found one somewhere(bootdisk.com????)
    Sjouke Burry, Apr 19, 2006
  16. Daniel

    thanatoid Guest

    Sjouke Burry <> wrote in

    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Thanks for the help everyone, I used a recovery program
    >> and saved some of my files, it couldn't restore them all
    >> though. I still havea question though:
    >>
    >> The comp I did the restore had been used a little bit,
    >> would I have even lost the data if the comp was just
    >> turned on without doing anything except for sharing
    >> internet?
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >>
    >> Dan
    >>

    > If you ever have an accident the only course
    > I would advise is: FREEZE!!!!. Dont do anything,
    > but think for a few seconds, and then I would do a
    > forced shutdown(with the power switch).
    > Dont try to find out the damage under Windows.
    > Anything you try to do/examine,will cause log and temp
    > data to overwrite what is at that moment "empty space".

    Absolutely. Stay in DOS. (In fact, there ARE people who still
    use DOS for everything, but that's another subject.)

    > Boot instead from a recovery floppy/CD,and see what
    > damage you can undo.
    > If you have GOST2003,you might even make an image
    > copy of the disk concerned , first.

    GHOST2003 might work even better ;-)

    Or Acronis True Image - that's what I use. I have been able to
    say goodbye to all backup/restore/recovery/registry changes/file
    trackers/ etc etc etc etc etc etc programs I used to have to
    **** around with every time anything went wrong.

    thanatoid, Apr 19, 2006
  17. Daniel wrote:

    > Thanks for the help everyone, I used a recovery program and saved some
    > of my files, it couldn't restore them all though. I still havea
    > question though:

    You might have tried both computers - a "format" does not delete files, just
    erases pointers to them (the allocation tables).

    > The comp I did the restore had been used a little bit, would I have
    > even lost the data if the comp was just turned on without doing
    > anything except for sharing internet?

    If you mean "just turn on to make internet connection sharing through it
    work", it still starts services and logging (eventlog) and maybe -
    depending upon installed programs - background defragmentation.
    You always have to expect some damaged/lost files after accidents like this.
    Next time just turn off the pc when you discover "the Evil(tm) has ridden
    me", take a break and then carefully plan recovery. Attaching the drive to
    a 2nd working system is one good option, using a liveCD another.
    In any case, if you have important data, do not write to the affected disk,
    use a image instead.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Apr 19, 2006