    software or plugin to allow TV captured with a PCTV card to be viewed or
    recorded with Windows Media Player ?

    cheers!
    =?Utf-8?B?Ry5CZWNr?=, Jul 11, 2005

  2. You would surely have to get the tv tuner card manufacturers to write
    drivers and software first! It's not Microsoft's responsibility to write
    drivers for other people's products.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Jul 11, 2005

  3. Cari, I know it's not Microsoft's responsibility to do that...but now that we
    all know there are no drivers nor software to do that, wouldn't it be a great
    extra value offer if Microsoft could say "XP64 users, we're going to help you
    keep doing all what you were doing with XP32!" ?

    Just an idea.

    Guillermo.

    =?Utf-8?B?Ry5CZWNr?=, Jul 11, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Ry5CZWNr?=

    Randy Guest

    How much does MS pay each of these manufacturers and vendors to license
    their drivers and release them with their OSs and as upgrades, without which
    the OSs would be fairly useless?

    Randy, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Randy wrote:
    > How much does MS pay each of these manufacturers and vendors to license
    > their drivers and release them with their OSs and as upgrades, without which
    > the OSs would be fairly useless?

    Nothing I guess. At best, the manufacturers get free testing and support
    by Microsoft (but even that is not exactly free, because the have to pay
    for MSDN).

    I think XP x64 is bound to fail in the market. If you think about the
    32bit transition (Windows 95): that was rather painfull, but eventually
    everybody had Windows 95 and due to popular demand, most drivers where
    ported.

    However, Windows 95 offered significant advantages over Win 3.11 (hurts
    to think back, actually). The same applies for Windows XP over ME
    (again...). Windows XP x64 does not offer any advantages over XP for the
    average user, but every possible portunity to shoot yourself in the foot.

    So XP x64 may be an attempt to prepare the manufacturers for 64bit OSes.
    But 64bit will not really take off before an OS is shipped only or
    predominantly as 64bit. Maybe Longhorn will be that OS.

    thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jul 11, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Ry5CZWNr?=

    Keith Guest

    I agree with some of your opinions. Yes, 4 bit is good for business usage
    where true crunching comes into play...but for the average home user that
    cannot get drivers for such mundane everyday things as a TV tuner card...it
    blows. Sad to see the manufacturer of such products either outright lie
    about when the drivers will be out, miss the date by 7 months (Leadtek), or
    flat out say "xp64 is not mainstream enough to write a driver for it" :-(
    Bummer. I LOVE X64 but I'll be damned, I can't use my tv tuner/capture card
    under it....since this computer doubles as my bedroom tv/entertainment
    center, I need it....

    -Keith Schaefer

    Keith, Jul 11, 2005
  7. OK, now that you vented, what's your plan?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Keith, you can use you TV tuner card, but only to watch TV. There still isn't
    any software ported to 64 bits to record it.

    I just don't understand how/why Microsoft won't go and fill this whole in
    the market: drivers for PCTV cards. It's a big opportunity that could make
    all of us, who have at least once said something against MS, say "thanks Bill
    Gates!"...wouldn't you agree?

    =?Utf-8?B?Ry5CZWNr?=, Jul 11, 2005