    180 gig hard drive space
    any tips and advice welcome
    TIA please post replys to the ng
    j######, May 31, 2004

  2. j######

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "j######" <j#####@spammy.com> wrote in message
    news:%PMuc.275$Oq1.141@newsfe6-win...
    > Hi guys
    > How would i go about recording from vinyl to my pc
    > obviously i need a deck, but what about amplifiying the input
    > or do i just plug striaght into the line in socket on my soundboard ,and

    is
    > there any additional sofware worth having for audio recording
    > sytsem is Win XP
    > p2.4
    > 728 ram
    > 180 gig hard drive space
    > any tips and advice welcome
    > TIA please post replys to the ng

    Great project - yes, you need a pre-amp. The signal level from a phono
    cartridge will not be sufficient. I hooked up my line out on the home stereo
    to the line input on my PC's audio card. I used MusicMatch, but others are
    out there, and actually they are better since they included pop/hiss filters
    in some of them. AudioGrabber comes to mind -
    http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10262582.html?tag=lst-0-4
    Toolman Tim, May 31, 2004

  3. j######

    zxcvbob Guest

    j###### wrote:

    > Hi guys
    > How would i go about recording from vinyl to my pc
    > obviously i need a deck, but what about amplifiying the input
    > or do i just plug striaght into the line in socket on my soundboard ,and is
    > there any additional sofware worth having for audio recording
    > sytsem is Win XP
    > p2.4
    > 728 ram
    > 180 gig hard drive space
    > any tips and advice welcome
    > TIA please post replys to the ng

    You need a RIAA preamp between the turntable and your sound card
    line-in. If you have an old stereo with a "phono" input, you can use it
    for the preamp by running its "tape out" to the line-in of your sound
    card. If you have a stereo mixer, you can probably use that for the preamp.

    There's a program called "audacity" that you can download for free that
    will record and has some noise filtering capability. I haven't started
    this project yet, but I also have a lot of vinyl I'd like to burn to CD's.

    Bob
    zxcvbob, May 31, 2004
  4. j######

    ICee Guest

    j###### wrote:
    > Hi guys
    > How would i go about recording from vinyl to my pc
    > obviously i need a deck, but what about amplifiying the input
    > or do i just plug striaght into the line in socket on my soundboard
    > ,and is there any additional sofware worth having for audio recording
    > sytsem is Win XP
    > p2.4
    > 728 ram
    > 180 gig hard drive space
    > any tips and advice welcome
    > TIA please post replys to the ng

    Here is a step by step tutorial on how to record LP's to the PC:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=21941&start=0
    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?S4A012178
    ICee, May 31, 2004
  5. j###### wrote:
    > Hi guys
    > How would i go about recording from vinyl to my pc
    > obviously i need a deck, but what about amplifiying the input
    > or do i just plug striaght into the line in socket on my soundboard ,and is
    > there any additional sofware worth having for audio recording
    > sytsem is Win XP
    > p2.4
    > 728 ram
    > 180 gig hard drive space
    > any tips and advice welcome
    > TIA please post replys to the ng

    You need a deck plus an equalising preamplifier designed to
    match the type of cartridge in the deck. The preamplifier
    will have an output suitable for connecting to your line
    input socket. Make sure that the cartridge and preamplifier
    match, this is very important. (eg if using a magnetic
    cartridge, make sure the preamplifier is suitable for this
    and is not designed for a ceramic cartridge).

    Using something like the Creative Sound Blaster USB box will
    keep the analogue audio signals from the deck well away from
    the electrically noisy environment of the PC and will come
    with software designed to help you - including reducing the
    effect of scratches and hiss on the disks and reducing the
    effects of drive mechanical errors.

    Hum and scratches are the biggest problems and you will need
    to follow normal audio engineering practice, including
    having a single point earth, to get the recording as good as
    possible. You will also need a lot of patience, as you can
    only record at single speed.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 31, 2004
  6. j######

    The Dude Guest

    "j######" <j#####@spammy.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    > How would i go about recording from vinyl to my pc
    > obviously i need a deck, but what about amplifiying the input
    > or do i just plug striaght into the line in socket on my soundboard ,and

    is
    > there any additional sofware worth having for audio recording
    > sytsem is Win XP
    > p2.4
    > 728 ram
    > 180 gig hard drive space
    > any tips and advice welcome
    > TIA please post replys to the ng

    Headphone socket from a Hi-Fi amp will do as a makeshift output with plenty
    of signal.
    All you'd then need is a suitable adapter lead(1/4" male stereo jack to
    whatever is on the input of your soundcard).
    Software??
    Wavelab or Goldwave.
    http://www.goldwave.com/release.php
    The Dude, May 31, 2004