    disc to record without fast forwarding thru the already recorded
    material ? Are all the blank discs 4 hr. maximum or are there any 6 hr
    discs ? thanks SD

    S D, Oct 28, 2009

  2. S D

    kaboom Guest

    On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:07:04 -0400, (S D) wrote:

    >I will soon have to move from recording with vcrs to dvds as I use a lot
    >of tapes and they are now hard to get easily in quantity. Are there any
    >DVD recorders that are easier than others to program ( set the time for
    >recording ) or are they all about the same ?

    **I have three recorders. One is a Toshiba D-R410KU and the other two
    are Panasonic DMR-EA18Ks. I think the Tosh is easier to work with for
    someone who is new, but the Panasonic has a wonderful feature called
    Flex Recording (FR). Both recorders have their bad points and good
    points so I suggest looking them up on avsforum.

    Panasonic EA18K:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021745

    Toshiba D-R410KU:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014246

    >I know I will have to get
    >rewritable blanks , is there any way to get to an unused portion of a
    >disc to record without fast forwarding thru the already recorded
    >material ?

    **Why are you going to use rewritables? Are you transferring it to
    another media? Rewritables don't have good reps for reliability and
    longevity. If you're going to archive programs, then I would use DVD-
    or +R.

    If you have a DVD that is half empty, when you insert it into the
    recorder and then set it to record, it will automatically record to
    the empty section. No fast forwarding like VHS :)

    > Are all the blank discs 4 hr. maximum or are there any 6 hr
    >discs ? thanks SD

    **As others have said, it's not the disc, it's your player. Both the
    Tosh and Panny can do up to 8 hours on a single disc. Over two hours
    per disc is really pushing it a bit quality-wise. I recorded a Rolex
    Sports Car race on the 3-hour FR and I couldn't watch it. A VHS copy
    of the race looks better.

    I like the Panasonic a bit better because of the ability to flex
    record. That means if there is a movie on Turner Classic Movies that
    is 1 hour and 35 minutes long, I can tell the Panny to fit the movie
    onto a whole, single disc. It ups the quality, while the Tosh can only
    do 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8 hours. The Panny will do whatever time you want.
    (It also has the 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours selection aside from Flex
    Record.)

    On the flip side, the Tosh is a bit easier to use in the beginning.
    The front info panel will also give you more disc information while on
    the Panny you have to hit Status button to get info. Visible times
    while rewinding or fast forwarding, for instance. You can also fudge
    times a bit while recording on the Tosh. By that I mean, you can ask
    it to record 1 hour and 1 or 2 minutes on XP quality and it will burn
    the disc. This works nicely if you are recording a 1 hour program and
    want to "catch" the whole program properly. I haven't tried it on the
    Panny because it gives you a little warning exclamation point when you
    set the program to run a little long.

    Both players can use dual-layer disc which will almost double
    recording time on each disc. For instance, a DVD- or + R DL will
    record 1 hour and 45 minutes on the best possible quality (XP) or 3
    hours and 35 minutes on the second best (SP). (This is according to
    the Panny instructions, I haven't used a DL, yet.)

    Another tip, the Panny has a sterling reputation for VHS to DVD
    transfer quality.

    Hope this helps some,

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Oct 31, 2009

  3. S D

    S D Guest

    thanks for all the good information, I would use rewriteables as some
    programs I keep , others I would just watch and record over. I take it
    that the recorders can all record several programs at different times as
    the vcrs can.....such as 9:59 to 11: 01 AM 1:59 to 3:01 PM and 4:59 to
    7:01 PM , all settings made at once, or am I wrong ? Stephen

    S D, Oct 31, 2009
  4. S D

    kaboom Guest

    On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:23:39 -0400, (S D) wrote:

    >thanks for all the good information, I would use rewriteables as some
    >programs I keep , others I would just watch and record over.

    **Oh, I see. For the programs you intend on keeping, I would use DVD-R
    or DVD+R. If you are just going to watch and rerecord, then the RWs
    are a good idea. Too bad DVD recorders with hard drives went the way
    of the dodo. It seems like one of these would be ideal for you. I know
    there's a Magnavox available with a 160gig hard drive, but I think
    it's kinda glitchy.

    >I take it
    >that the recorders can all record several programs at different times as
    >the vcrs can.....such as 9:59 to 11: 01 AM 1:59 to 3:01 PM and 4:59 to
    >7:01 PM , all settings made at once, or am I wrong ? Stephen

    **Sure. As with VHS tapes, make sure that you have the disc space
    available for all of your programs. For instance, with the Panasonic,
    I recorded a short off of TCM, then a bit later, I recorded an hour
    long program again off of TCM. Both of these were on the 2-hour
    setting. Today, I recorded a making-of Planet of the Apes program off
    of Fox Movie Classics and I had the Panny flex record it onto the
    remaining space on the disc. Better quality than SP and it finished up
    the disc perfectly. I then finalized the disc to make it playable on
    all DVD players. <---that's very important, so remember that! I'm
    speaking about DVD-R/+R, I don't have any experience with RWs so I'm
    not sure how they work.

    Oh! I've forgotten something! The Panasonic has something else that's
    extremely handy! The two recorders that I've mentioned do NOT have
    digital tuners. For the Toshiba, that means that you would hook it up
    to your digital box (like your VCR) and the box must be set on the
    appropriate channel. The Tosh will not change channels. If someone
    comes along and changes the channel after you've set it, be prepared
    for 2 hours worth of Fox News instead of Citizen Cane (ask me how I
    know). :)

    The Panasonic, on the other hand, has an IR blaster. You hook it up to
    the Panasonic and run the blaster out to the front of the digital box.
    You then go thru a set-up on the Panny to find the proper code to
    control the digital box, then your Panny will change to the correct
    channel when it comes time to record. So, you can leave the house with
    the recorder set to grab programs off of (for example) channel 27, 64
    and 162 and the Panasonic will command the digital box to change the
    channels for you.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Oct 31, 2009
  5. S D

    anthony Guest

    On Oct 31, 1:21 pm, kaboom <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:23:39 -0400, (S D) wrote:
    > >thanks for all the good information, I would use rewriteables as some
    > >programs I keep , others I would just watch and record over.

    > **Oh, I see. For the programs you intend on keeping, I would use DVD-R
    > or DVD+R. If you are just going to watch and rerecord, then the RWs
    > are a good idea. Too bad DVD recorders with hard drives went the way
    > of the dodo. It seems like one of these would be ideal for you. I know
    > there's a Magnavox available with a 160gig hard drive, but I think
    > it's kinda glitchy.
    >
    > >I take it
    > >that the recorders can all record several programs at different times as
    > >the vcrs can.....such as 9:59 to 11: 01 AM  1:59 to 3:01 PM  and 4:59 to
    > >7:01 PM , all settings made at once, or am I wrong ? Stephen

    > **Sure. As with VHS tapes, make sure that you have the disc space
    > available for all of your programs. For instance, with the Panasonic,
    > I recorded a short off of TCM, then a bit later, I recorded an hour
    > long program again off of TCM. Both of these were on the 2-hour
    > setting. Today, I recorded a making-of Planet of the Apes program off
    > of Fox Movie Classics and I had the Panny flex record it onto the
    > remaining space on the disc. Better quality than SP and it finished up
    > the disc perfectly. I then finalized the disc to make it playable on
    > all DVD players. <---that's very important, so remember that! I'm
    > speaking about DVD-R/+R, I don't have any experience with RWs so I'm
    > not sure how they work.
    >
    > Oh! I've forgotten something! The Panasonic has something else that's
    > extremely handy! The two recorders that I've mentioned do NOT have
    > digital tuners. For the Toshiba, that means that you would hook it up
    > to your digital box (like your VCR) and the box must be set on the
    > appropriate channel. The Tosh will not change channels. If someone
    > comes along and changes the channel after you've set it, be prepared
    > for 2 hours worth of Fox News instead of Citizen Cane (ask me how I
    > know). :)
    >
    > The Panasonic, on the other hand, has an IR blaster. You hook it up to
    > the Panasonic and run the blaster out to the front of the digital box.
    > You then go thru a set-up on the Panny to find the proper code to
    > control the digital box, then your Panny will change to the correct
    > channel when it comes time to record. So, you can leave the house with
    > the recorder set to grab programs off of (for example) channel 27, 64
    > and 162 and the Panasonic will command the digital box to change the
    > channels for you.
    >
    > kaboomie

    I've just bought a Panasonic DVD recorder with a 250 gig hard-drive
    and dual HD tuners. It can record two programs on two channels
    simultaneously, which my old standard def Panasonic was incapable of.
    I'm teaming it with a new Panasonic 46-inch plasma for viewing in my
    sitting-room in the new home my wife and I move to in three weeks.
    That's an Australian Panasonic model, and I hope for your sake that an
    equally convenient Panny model with hard-drive and dual HD tuners is
    on offer in your country. It does of course spit out DVDs in standard
    definition, and the manual does say 6-hour recording is possible --
    though I try to keep to under 3 hours. The hard-drive is great for
    editing out ads if by chance I've recorded from a commercial channel.
    Most of my recording though is done from our national ABC publicly-
    owned broadcaster, which is mercifully ad-free!

    anthony, Nov 2, 2009
  6. S D

    kaboom Guest

    On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:53:55 -0800 (PST), anthony
    <> wrote:

    >I've just bought a Panasonic DVD recorder with a 250 gig hard-drive
    >and dual HD tuners. It can record two programs on two channels
    >simultaneously, which my old standard def Panasonic was incapable of.
    >I'm teaming it with a new Panasonic 46-inch plasma for viewing in my
    >sitting-room in the new home my wife and I move to in three weeks.
    >That's an Australian Panasonic model, and I hope for your sake that an
    >equally convenient Panny model with hard-drive and dual HD tuners is
    >on offer in your country. It does of course spit out DVDs in standard
    >definition, and the manual does say 6-hour recording is possible --
    >though I try to keep to under 3 hours. The hard-drive is great for
    >editing out ads if by chance I've recorded from a commercial channel.
    >Most of my recording though is done from our national ABC publicly-
    >owned broadcaster, which is mercifully ad-free!

    **In the US, DVD recorders with hard drives are almost no more. We
    have a Magnavox model with a hard drive. That's it, at the moment. We
    used to have Pioneers, Panasonics, etc. In fact, I have a Panasonic
    e85 that needs to be repaired. It has a 120 gig hard drive and it was
    used primarily for VHS-to-DVD transfers. I loved it! Lots of
    versatility.

    Luckily, there is a grey market in the US, so there are some places
    that you can buy recorders with hard drives, but the recorders are
    usually foreign models.

    kaboomie

    ps If I were in Australia, I'd be recording Aussie V8 Supercars :)

    kaboom, Nov 3, 2009
  7. S D

    root Guest

    kaboom <> wrote:

    > **In the US, DVD recorders with hard drives are almost no more. We
    > have a Magnavox model with a hard drive. That's it, at the moment. We
    > used to have Pioneers, Panasonics, etc. In fact, I have a Panasonic
    > e85 that needs to be repaired. It has a 120 gig hard drive and it was
    > used primarily for VHS-to-DVD transfers. I loved it! Lots of
    > versatility.

    I think Panasonic will repair the E85 for a flat $130 fee. They
    did it for a friend. My 85 has died, but without a digital tuner it
    doesn't seem worth fixing.

    > Luckily, there is a grey market in the US, so there are some places
    > that you can buy recorders with hard drives, but the recorders are
    > usually foreign models.

    Are the tuners in the foreign models in any way compatible with
    US standards?

    root, Nov 3, 2009
  8. S D

    kaboom Guest

    On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:18:28 +0000 (UTC), root <>
    wrote:

    >kaboom <> wrote:
    >>
    >> **In the US, DVD recorders with hard drives are almost no more. We
    >> have a Magnavox model with a hard drive. That's it, at the moment. We
    >> used to have Pioneers, Panasonics, etc. In fact, I have a Panasonic
    >> e85 that needs to be repaired. It has a 120 gig hard drive and it was
    >> used primarily for VHS-to-DVD transfers. I loved it! Lots of
    >> versatility.

    >I think Panasonic will repair the E85 for a flat $130 fee. They
    >did it for a friend. My 85 has died, but without a digital tuner it
    >doesn't seem worth fixing.

    **I've read about the $130 deal in avsforums, but I'm chicken about
    sending it off to them :) I do have a friend who fixes stuff like
    this, hopefully, despite our busy schedules, he said he'd give it a
    look. The problem is this exactly:

    http://vassfamily.net/projects/DMRE85H/dmre85h.html

    I'll probably have him poke around to make sure everything else is in
    order.

    I'd have it fixed if I were you. The secondary market is such that you
    might be able to make a bit of a profit, if you sold it. On the flip
    side, I'm pretty sure the e85 has an IR blaster, so perhaps it will be
    able to change the channels on your digital box.

    >> Luckily, there is a grey market in the US, so there are some places
    >> that you can buy recorders with hard drives, but the recorders are
    >> usually foreign models.
    >>

    >Are the tuners in the foreign models in any way compatible with
    >US standards?

    **Only one actually says ATSC tuner (the LG, scroll down a bit). No
    QAM. Some descriptions say yes and some say no, but I'm thinking that
    it pertains to non-digital (and now useless) tuners.

    http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm

    Ignore the panasonic bit in the URL, the page contains a bunch of
    different models.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Nov 3, 2009
  9. S D

    S D Guest

    Re: Recording DVD players 3 questions finalizing disc ?

    How does one finalize a disc, is this done after the entire disc is
    full, if the finalization is not done does the thing not play on
    machines from oter manufacturers ? SD

    S D, Nov 5, 2009
  10. S D

    kaboom Guest

    On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:31:28 -0500, (S D) wrote:

    >How does one finalize a disc, is this done after the entire disc is
    >full, if the finalization is not done does the thing not play on
    >machines from oter manufacturers ? SD

    **To make the disc playable on other machines, you must finalize it.
    You'll usually find it in, for instance, Disc Management if you have a
    Panasonic. It will ask you if you want the disc finalized, then it
    will ask again. Upon pressing yes, the recorder will finalize the
    disc.

    The disc does not have to be filled, but that is when people usually
    finalize it. Let's say you only have it half filled, you can finalize
    it for play on other players. You can not, however, go back and fill
    up the rest. Once it's finalized, that's it. It's closed to further
    changes.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Nov 5, 2009
  11. S D

    jeremy Guest

    Re: Recording DVD players 3 questions finalizing disc ?

    >I've always wondered, does "6-hour mode" on these things basically
    >equal recording in MPEG-1/VCD res? I'd assume it'd have to, since I
    >can't hardly imagine full 720x480 at that low of a bitrate being
    >particularly watchable.

    It _is_ pretty darn unwatchable. I'd rather watch a VCD. But, while I
    haven't
    analyzed it, I doubt that the 6-hour recording is in VCD format.

    jeremy, Nov 26, 2009
  12. S D

    jeremy Guest

    Re: Recording DVD players 3 questions finalizing disc ?

    > Is there a 6 hr. option on some recorders
    >, do you know of any ( probably would not be listed on box ) ?

    My Cyberhome (out of business) and Panasonic (couple of years old)
    recorders
    both had (have) 1, 2, 4, and 6 hour modes. I would think it would be
    listed on
    the box as a feature.

    jeremy, Nov 27, 2009