Recording daily program, then sequentially gathering chunks.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by rhubarbe0@yahoo.com, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    I presently have 2 VCRs, and record a daily program for watching on the
    first one, then
    record "chunks" on the 2nd VCR. Chunks are really short (average of 15
    seconds), I only
    want scenes where the TV-quiz animator is making strange faces, or
    voices, etc... that
    makes me laugh.
    I do it right so far, but sometimes lose quality, especially when I
    want to make a back-up
    tape of my "chunks" tape. That becomes a copy of a copy of a copy.

    How would I do it digitally? I'd like to have a recording, where I
    append my funny scenes
    each day. It could be on a hard-drive (inside a digital recording,
    alternative to VCR).
    With a digital recorder, does it record what you see *as soon as* you
    press the REC
    button? I've only had VCRs so far, and I have to take into account the
    time needed for
    head loading and tape advancing when I press REC, to make sure new
    recording starts
    where I want.
    I could either record daily programs with a VCR, and digitally record
    chunks with a
    digital recorder (replacing 2nd VCR), or is it possible to digitally
    record daily programs,
    and then append the "chunks" file with the same digital unit?

    What features should I look for in buying a digital recorder, to
    achieve this job the easiest
    way possible?

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    L.

    P.S.: Sorry for all questions, but I'm really newbie to digital
    recording (but a long-time
    VCR user)
    , Jan 26, 2006

  2. P Pron Guest

    wrote:
    || Hello,
    || I presently have 2 VCRs, and record a daily program for watching on
    || the first one, then
    || record "chunks" on the 2nd VCR. Chunks are really short (average of
    || 15 seconds), I only
    || want scenes where the TV-quiz animator is making strange faces, or
    || voices, etc... that
    || makes me laugh.
    || I do it right so far, but sometimes lose quality, especially when I
    || want to make a back-up
    || tape of my "chunks" tape. That becomes a copy of a copy of a copy.
    || How would I do it digitally? I'd like to have a recording, where I
    || append my funny scenes
    || each day. It could be on a hard-drive (inside a digital recording,
    || alternative to VCR).
    || With a digital recorder, does it record what you see *as soon as* you
    || press the REC
    || button? I've only had VCRs so far, and I have to take into account
    || the time needed for
    || head loading and tape advancing when I press REC, to make sure new
    || recording starts
    || where I want.
    || I could either record daily programs with a VCR, and digitally record
    || chunks with a
    || digital recorder (replacing 2nd VCR), or is it possible to digitally
    || record daily programs,
    || and then append the "chunks" file with the same digital unit?
    || What features should I look for in buying a digital recorder, to
    || achieve this job the easiest
    || way possible?
    || Thanks in advance for your help.
    || L.
    || P.S.: Sorry for all questions, but I'm really newbie to digital
    || recording (but a long-time
    || VCR user)

    If you get a decent quality DVD recorder with a hard-drive in it, you can
    record the whole show, then edit it, retaining only the chunks to want to
    keep - and you can either keep them as one title each, or as chapters within
    a larger title. Very easy to do - easier to do, in fact, than to explain!!
    (Very similar principle to editing audio minidiscs, if you've ever tried
    it...)

    When you've got enough chunks on the HD, burn to DVD.

    Mine's a Toshiba and I'm very happy with it - others swear by Panasonic
    which are also v.good. I've no experience of other brands...

    hth
    paul
    P Pron, Jan 27, 2006