    down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?

    --

    Kenny
    Kenny, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    news:bh11vp$tameb$-berlin.de...
    > Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record

    current
    > BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually writing them all
    > down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?

    You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.
    Guest, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Never thought of that, thanks.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    It works because "print screen" use a BIOS call and doesn't depend on an
    OS to be loaded. Some of the graphic chars. may be gibberish and it may take
    a form feed to get the page out, but the text and settings should appear
    fine.

    \
    Guest, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Kenny

    Ken Blake Guest

    In news:eiUYa.1220$,
    <> typed:

    > "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >> Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record
    >> current BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually
    >> writing them all down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?
    >>

    > You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.

    Maybe. It requires that you don't have a winprinter and it requires that you don't have a USB printer. The result is that for many people these days, you can *not* use PrintScrn.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please reply to the newsgroup
    Ken Blake, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Kenny

    SgtMinor Guest

    A useful shareware utility is CMOSsave, $10, from Canadian Mind
    Products: http://mindprod.com/products.html

    Lots of other utilities too.

    SgtMinor, Aug 8, 2003
  7. Kenny

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Aug 9, 2003
  8. However, some modern PC printers operate in graphics mode exclusively
    and cannot print ASCII characters, that is, they are dependent on
    Windows device drivers. Also, most BIOS' can't use "print screen" with
    USB printers.

    So this trick won't work with some newer printers.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 9, 2003
  9. Kenny

    mark mandell Guest

    CMOSSAVE which is a freeware/shareware program already mentioned is an
    excellent DOS program. And the $10 fee is if you intend distributing to
    others, otherwise free AFAIK.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandell, Aug 9, 2003
  10. Barry Watzman wrote:

    > However, some modern PC printers operate in graphics mode exclusively
    > and cannot print ASCII characters, that is, they are dependent on
    > Windows device drivers. Also, most BIOS' can't use "print screen" with
    > USB printers.
    >
    > So this trick won't work with some newer printers.

    The solution to which is to get an old dot matrix somethingorother from a
    second hand shop and a parallel port card and shove it onto that.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 9, 2003
  11. On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 21:46:07 +0100
    "Kenny" <> wrote:

    > Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record current
    > BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually writing them all
    > down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?

    The Ultimate Boot Disk allow you to do a backup of your CMOS settings IIRC

    http://www.startdisk.com/

    --
    Simon Comeau Martel
    Simon Comeau Martel, Aug 9, 2003
  12. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > > Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record

    > current
    > > BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually writing them all
    > > down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?
    > >

    > You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.

    Not with a usb printer
    Plato, Aug 9, 2003
  13. On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:14:01 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:eiUYa.1220$,
    > <> typed:
    >
    >> "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record
    >>> current BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually
    >>> writing them all down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?
    >>>

    >> You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.

    >Maybe. It requires that you don't have a winprinter and it requires
    >that you don't have a USB printer. The result is that for many people
    >these days, you can *not* use PrintScrn.

    Except under Windows...

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 9, 2003
  14. Kenny

    Ken Blake Guest

    In news:,
    Tom MacIntyre <> typed:

    > On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:14:01 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In news:eiUYa.1220$,
    >> <> typed:
    >>
    >>> "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.

    >>Maybe. It requires that you don't have a winprinter and it requires
    >>that you don't have a USB printer. The result is that for many people
    >>these days, you can *not* use PrintScrn.

    > Except under Windows...

    If you read the paragraph I wrote above in isloation, of course what I said is inaccurate and your addition is correct. But read it in the context of the thread, as a reply to what's quoted above my message, and your reply adds nothing.

    Of *course*, "except under Windows." But we're not talking about Windows; we're talking about using PrintScrn from within the BIOS setup screens.

    Ken Blake, Aug 9, 2003
  15. On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:22:58 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Tom MacIntyre <> typed:
    >
    >> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:14:01 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In news:eiUYa.1220$,
    >>> <> typed:

    >>>Maybe. It requires that you don't have a winprinter and it requires
    >>>that you don't have a USB printer. The result is that for many people
    >>>these days, you can *not* use PrintScrn.

    >> Except under Windows...

    >If you read the paragraph I wrote above in isloation, of course what I said
    >is inaccurate and your addition is correct. But read it in the context of the
    >thread, as a reply to what's quoted above my message, and your reply adds
    >nothing.
    >
    >Of *course*, "except under Windows." But we're not talking about Windows;
    >we're talking about using PrintScrn from within the BIOS setup screens.

    Ken...I hate it when I forget a smiley. It really does change the
    context of a message, doesn't it? :)

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 9, 2003
  16. Kenny

    Ken Blake Guest

    In news:,
    Tom MacIntyre <> typed:
    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:22:58 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In news:,
    >>Tom MacIntyre <> typed:

    >>> Except under Windows...

    >>If you read the paragraph I wrote above in isloation, of course what
    >>I said is inaccurate and your addition is correct. But read it in the
    >>context of the thread, as a reply to what's quoted above my message,
    >>and your reply adds nothing.
    >>
    >>Of *course*, "except under Windows." But we're not talking about
    >>Windows; we're talking about using PrintScrn from within the BIOS
    >>setup screens.

    > Ken...I hate it when I forget a smiley. It really does change the
    > context of a message, doesn't it? :)

    Yes it does. In that case, my apologies for my testy reply.

    Ken Blake, Aug 9, 2003