recording audio while viewing photos and associating the two files?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    ok, the subj is a bit confusing. I have salvaged a bunch of really old
    photos recently and scanned them as well. I have two very elderly
    relatives left who can identify the pictures (like 15 shoe boxes worth)
    and i have begun to see that many of the pictures have interesting
    stories to go along with them, the problem is organization of all this
    information.

    I would like to find some software that can record audio and either
    append the audio to the photos (is that even possible?) or say record
    audio and (automatically) save the audio file as the same name as the
    photo file like Photo_Alexandria_1923.tif and Photo_Alexandria_1923.mp3

    Is there any software out there like what i have described? or any
    suggestions (other than doing it manually, which i will do if i must
    but prefer not to). Any help would really be appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko
    , Dec 27, 2006

  2. jakdedert Guest

    Re: recording audio while viewing photos and associating the twofiles?

    wrote:
    > ok, the subj is a bit confusing. I have salvaged a bunch of really old
    > photos recently and scanned them as well. I have two very elderly
    > relatives left who can identify the pictures (like 15 shoe boxes worth)
    > and i have begun to see that many of the pictures have interesting
    > stories to go along with them, the problem is organization of all this
    > information.
    >
    > I would like to find some software that can record audio and either
    > append the audio to the photos (is that even possible?) or say record
    > audio and (automatically) save the audio file as the same name as the
    > photo file like Photo_Alexandria_1923.tif and Photo_Alexandria_1923.mp3
    >
    > Is there any software out there like what i have described? or any
    > suggestions (other than doing it manually, which i will do if i must
    > but prefer not to). Any help would really be appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Gaiko

    Use a video camera.

    While recording video of your relative describing the picture, pan over
    to the picture itself. This is your 'reference shot'; merely a
    placeholder to ID the photo in your video. In post-production--using
    any good video editing software--replace the reference shot of the photo
    with the scanned image.

    You'll likely find shots of your relatives, reacting to the photos (and
    the memories) as they tell the stories, are at least as interesting as
    the photos themselves.

    Mix it up.

    jak
    jakdedert, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Susan Bugher Guest

    wrote:

    > ok, the subj is a bit confusing. I have salvaged a bunch of really old
    > photos recently and scanned them as well. I have two very elderly
    > relatives left who can identify the pictures (like 15 shoe boxes worth)
    > and i have begun to see that many of the pictures have interesting
    > stories to go along with them, the problem is organization of all this
    > information.
    >
    > I would like to find some software that can record audio and either
    > append the audio to the photos (is that even possible?) or say record
    > audio and (automatically) save the audio file as the same name as the
    > photo file like Photo_Alexandria_1923.tif and Photo_Alexandria_1923.mp3
    >
    > Is there any software out there like what i have described? or any
    > suggestions (other than doing it manually, which i will do if i must
    > but prefer not to). Any help would really be appreciated!

    Hi Gaiko,

    I believe MyAlbum (an image gallery program) has an option to associate
    a different sound file with each graphics image.

    Program: MyAlbum
    Company: MyAlbum
    Author: Pierre Meindre
    Ware: Donationware
    http://www.myalbumpro.com/
    Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000 and XP

    Some sound recording apps that have been mentioned in ACF are listed
    here - I don't know if any of them have the auto-naming feature you
    would like to have:
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_MULTIMEDIA.php#3.00Recorder:Audio

    Good luck with your project.

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware
    Susan Bugher, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Arny Krueger Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > ok, the subj is a bit confusing. I have salvaged a bunch
    > of really old photos recently and scanned them as well. I
    > have two very elderly relatives left who can identify the
    > pictures (like 15 shoe boxes worth) and i have begun to
    > see that many of the pictures have interesting stories to
    > go along with them, the problem is organization of all
    > this information.

    > I would like to find some software that can record audio
    > and either append the audio to the photos (is that even
    > possible?) or say record audio and (automatically) save
    > the audio file as the same name as the photo file like
    > Photo_Alexandria_1923.tif and Photo_Alexandria_1923.mp3

    Powerpoint can do that.

    > Is there any software out there like what i have
    > described? or any suggestions (other than doing it
    > manually, which i will do if i must but prefer not to).
    > Any help would really be appreciated!

    There are two approaches.

    One approach is to use presentation software like PowerPoint and associate
    an audio file with each picture, The viewer can then pace himself through
    viewing the pictures or you can automate the show by putting each picture up
    for a fixed or variable amount of time.

    A completely different approach is to turn the pictures into a video. Using
    a program like Premiere Elements you can create a video that places the
    pictures and audio files along a time line that runs at a fixed rate like a
    documentary program on TV.
    Arny Krueger, Dec 27, 2006
  5. "jakdedert" wrote in ...
    > While recording video of your relative describing the picture, pan
    > over to the picture itself. This is your 'reference shot'; merely a
    > placeholder to ID the photo in your video. In post-production--using
    > any good video editing software--replace the reference shot of the
    > photo with the scanned image.
    >
    > You'll likely find shots of your relatives, reacting to the photos
    > (and the memories) as they tell the stories, are at least as
    > interesting as the photos themselves.

    Brilliant! You could put prominent numbers/IDs on the backs
    so that you can tell from the video which picture they are looking
    at. That way you won't have to continuously bug them to show
    which pix they are viewing.

    And you can use just the audio track (separately, cued to the
    images), or the video as-is.
    Richard Crowley, Dec 27, 2006
  6. timeOday Guest

    jakdedert wrote:

    > Use a video camera.
    >
    > While recording video of your relative describing the picture, pan over
    > to the picture itself. This is your 'reference shot'; merely a
    > placeholder to ID the photo in your video. In post-production--using
    > any good video editing software--replace the reference shot of the photo
    > with the scanned image.

    One other suggestion, take the extra few seconds to use a plug-in
    microphone instead of the one on the camera. Just clip it to grandma's
    collar. This discussion reminded me of a old VHS tape we have of a
    deceased relative watching a slide show and 8mm home movies. It's
    awfully hard to hear what she is saying.
    timeOday, Dec 27, 2006
  7. On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:14:37 -0700, timeOday
    <> wrote:

    >One other suggestion, take the extra few seconds to use a plug-in
    >microphone instead of the one on the camera. Just clip it to grandma's
    >collar. This discussion reminded me of a old VHS tape we have of a
    >deceased relative watching a slide show and 8mm home movies. It's
    >awfully hard to hear what she is saying.

    Not surprised, considering she was deceased.
    Laurence Payne, Dec 27, 2006
  8. I. Care Guest

    In article <>,
    lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom says...
    > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:14:37 -0700, timeOday
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >One other suggestion, take the extra few seconds to use a plug-in
    > >microphone instead of the one on the camera. Just clip it to grandma's
    > >collar. This discussion reminded me of a old VHS tape we have of a
    > >deceased relative watching a slide show and 8mm home movies. It's
    > >awfully hard to hear what she is saying.

    > Not surprised, considering she was deceased.

    Sorry if I didn't notice which operating system you were using. You can
    download a free copy of Photo Story 3 for Windows that will accept music
    or narration, not sure how automated it is while building the show.

    http://www.Microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92755126-a008-
    49b3-b3f4-6f33852af9c1&DisplayLang=en

    http://tinyurl.com/4cato
    --
    I. Care
    I. Care, Dec 27, 2006
  9. Cgiorgio Guest

    Actually there is a bunch of programs that can do that. One of them that is:

    http://www.ulead.com/dps/runme.htm

    Just download their free trial.

    Cgiorgio, Dec 27, 2006
  10. Mike Fields Guest

    "timeOday" <> wrote in message
    > jakdedert wrote:
    >
    >> Use a video camera.
    >>
    >> While recording video of your relative describing the picture, pan
    >> over to the picture itself. This is your 'reference shot'; merely a
    >> placeholder to ID the photo in your video. In post-production--using
    >> any good video editing software--replace the reference shot of the
    >> photo with the scanned image.
    >>

    > One other suggestion, take the extra few seconds to use a plug-in
    > microphone instead of the one on the camera. Just clip it to grandma's
    > collar. This discussion reminded me of a old VHS tape we have of a
    > deceased relative watching a slide show and 8mm home movies. It's
    > awfully hard to hear what she is saying.

    The general suggestion that I have seen is to always (at least
    for checking), use headphones plugged into the camera. It
    is amazing how many people have taped interviews with grandpa,
    gotten grandma to talk about her childhood etc and when they
    play back the tape, the fan is running in the background, the
    pots and pans in the kitchen are being rattled, the kids talking
    off to the side cover her comments etc. One of the best
    investments in getting a decent video/audio recording is
    the headphones to make sure you are getting what you think
    you are getting.

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Dec 28, 2006