    What's the easiest way to do this ?
    My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.
    - Bobb -, Jan 5, 2012

  2. - Bobb -

    Woof Guest

    > I have a concert on DVD
    > I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    > What's the easiest way to do this ?
    > My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    > DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    A DVD Audio Ripper is what you need. Check here
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/category/audio_video.php
    Woof, Jan 5, 2012

  3. - Bobb -

    meagain Guest

    Woof wrote:
    >> I have a concert on DVD
    >> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    >> What's the easiest way to do this ?
    >> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from DVD. I
    >> don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    > A DVD Audio Ripper is what you need. Check here
    > http://www.freewarefiles.com/category/audio_video.php

    My fave, Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard (free for 90days) can also do it.
    meagain, Jan 5, 2012
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Woof" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a concert on DVD
    >> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    >> What's the easiest way to do this ?
    >> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    >> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    > A DVD Audio Ripper is what you need. Check here
    > http://www.freewarefiles.com/category/audio_video.php

    no luck with that. I ran it and it clicked ADD file, then browsed to the
    DVD - vob files were 'invalid file type'.
    SO in case I mis-stated the situation, it's a store-bought old concert DVD
    that I'd like to save as mp3's on PC.
    I COULD take the rca outputs from living room DVD player to 3.5mm jack input
    of my laptop and just save it as ONE big mp3 file, but the audio volume /
    quality is a guessing game ... is THIS level too loud? , not enough etc.
    But I thought (like I can do with a store-bought DVD) it would be easy to
    simply insert into my PC DVD player and record as mp3 's.
    - Bobb -, Jan 5, 2012
  5. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > "Woof" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a concert on DVD
    >>> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    >>> What's the easiest way to do this ?
    >>> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    >>> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    >> A DVD Audio Ripper is what you need. Check here
    >> http://www.freewarefiles.com/category/audio_video.php
    >>

    > no luck with that. I ran it and it clicked ADD file, then browsed to the
    > DVD - vob files were 'invalid file type'.
    > SO in case I mis-stated the situation, it's a store-bought old concert DVD
    > that I'd like to save as mp3's on PC.
    > I COULD take the rca outputs from living room DVD player to 3.5mm jack input
    > of my laptop and just save it as ONE big mp3 file, but the audio volume /
    > quality is a guessing game ... is THIS level too loud? , not enough etc.
    > But I thought (like I can do with a store-bought DVD) it would be easy to
    > simply insert into my PC DVD player and record as mp3 's.

    Did you run the title of the "store-bought old convert DVD" through
    Google, to see how it's protected ? Maybe someone has already solved this problem.

    *******

    As for solving the analog recording "VU" meter problem, there is a way
    to do that. Audacity has a "normalize" function, which will bring the
    level back to whatever dB level you want. That would stink, if your
    DVD player output level was way off (requiring 20-40 dB extra gain perhaps).
    But if you're reasonably close, the normalize can bring the level back,
    such that the loudest passage is 0dB and the rest is scaled
    accordingly. You can even scale all the recorded songs to the same
    level (by normalizing each song individually). In some cases,
    after a listening test, you may decide to make further tweaks
    to the level. In which case, keep the original recording separate
    from your final output (so you don't incur accumulated math errors).

    The DVD player may have a line out level outputs, which you'd connect
    to line in on the computer sound card.

    At most, it might take me two passes, to get it right. The first
    recording attempt (with all gain knob positions recorded, so you
    know how things were set), would establish how much gain is needed.
    Then, you could bump the recording knobs a little bit in the path,
    to bring things closer to full scale, then make a second recording.
    That would help use the full dynamic range of your sound card.
    The "Normalize" function would then only have a tiny correction
    to the gain to make.

    In the Audacity preferences, is a "Directories" tab. In there, you
    can disable "Audio cache", so the recording goes to the hard drive.
    You can also set the hard drive to receive the recording. That would
    help with extremely long recordings.

    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

    When you "save a project", the sound stream is broken up into
    ~1MB files (i.e. fairly small files) and stored in a named
    directory. So when you "save a project" and wonder where the
    sound samples went, they're in a directory of the same name.
    If you had a "blah.project" tiny project file name, there is
    probably a "blah" directory somewhere on your drive, with many
    many tiny 1MB files in it. The files are stored in small chunks
    for some reason. Don't know why. You'd think storing them in
    2GB chunks would be good enough for modern computers.

    You use the "Export" function, to convert a recorded project
    into another format. Audacity probably doesn't have
    enough input file and output file options, to satisfy
    every user, so a separate tool might be required for
    the final step.

    Have fun,
    Paul
    Paul, Jan 5, 2012
  6. - Bobb -

    meagain Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Audacity has a "normalize" function,

    I have heard many people recommend Audacity.
    meagain, Jan 6, 2012
  7. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    meagain wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Audacity has a "normalize" function,

    > I have heard many people recommend Audacity.

    One fun fact about it, is you can add additional filters.
    For example, by default it might have high pass, or low
    pass filters. But the filter I use more often, is the
    optional "notch" filter (notch.ny), which installs separately.
    For example, I use that to remove 60Hz and 180Hz noises
    from recordings. The notch filter is a 1KB file, containing
    a text script, so it's some kind of programming language.

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 6, 2012
  8. Paul wrote:
    > meagain wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>> Audacity has a "normalize" function,

    >> I have heard many people recommend Audacity.

    > One fun fact about it, is you can add additional filters.
    > For example, by default it might have high pass, or low
    > pass filters. But the filter I use more often, is the
    > optional "notch" filter (notch.ny), which installs separately.
    > For example, I use that to remove 60Hz and 180Hz noises
    > from recordings. The notch filter is a 1KB file, containing
    > a text script, so it's some kind of programming language.
    >
    > Paul

    I got this one years ago and still put on most of the computers I
    have. It's not free but it's pretty cheap, it's simple and it works.
    Anything coming out the computer speakers can be recorded. It has a
    free trial which might be enough to get you what you want.
    http://www.ripvinyl.com/
    Fat-Dumb and Happy, Jan 7, 2012
  9. - Bobb -

    kelly Guest

    On Jan 5, 3:04 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > I have a concert on DVD
    > I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    > What's the easiest way to do this ?
    > My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    > DVD.  I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    AO Audio Extractor. This will rip the audio from any form of audio/
    video file. Then you can change the audio file format to whatever
    later.
    kelly, Jan 8, 2012
  10. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "kelly" <> wrote in message
    On Jan 5, 3:04 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > I have a concert on DVD
    > I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    > What's the easiest way to do this ?
    > My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    > DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    AO Audio Extractor. This will rip the audio from any form of audio/
    video file. Then you can change the audio file format to whatever
    later.
    =======
    Update:

    I tried copying vob to pc - cannot do - get an error
    I downloaded this app and put DVD in PC - clicked ADD files and browsed to
    TS_Video folder - apparently VOB isn't a choice.

    When I first tried to do this I thought I'd pop it in - start to convert and
    head out for the day. That was 2 weeks ago and still no progress. I had NO
    idea that getting into mp3 format was such a chore. ... he asked
    rhetorically ... why can I record a CD so easily and can't do a thing with a
    DVD ... if I want to COPY CD's it's ok but if I want to listen to the audio
    of a DVD it's 'undoable' using modern technology.

    So, thanks for all of the advice, but I guess I'll just play it back on
    DVD - through my receiver and record the audio onto a cassette tape or
    Reel-to-Reel ( Something with a VU meter that can hold 90-120 minutes of
    audio). From there I'll burn to CD. I'll use 40 year old technology can do
    what newer technology prevents.
    - Bobb -, Jan 9, 2012
  11. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > "kelly" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 5, 3:04 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    >> I have a concert on DVD
    >> I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    >> What's the easiest way to do this ?
    >> My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    >> DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    > AO Audio Extractor. This will rip the audio from any form of audio/
    > video file. Then you can change the audio file format to whatever
    > later.
    > =======
    > Update:
    >
    > I tried copying vob to pc - cannot do - get an error
    > I downloaded this app and put DVD in PC - clicked ADD files and browsed to
    > TS_Video folder - apparently VOB isn't a choice.
    >
    > When I first tried to do this I thought I'd pop it in - start to convert and
    > head out for the day. That was 2 weeks ago and still no progress. I had NO
    > idea that getting into mp3 format was such a chore. ... he asked
    > rhetorically ... why can I record a CD so easily and can't do a thing with a
    > DVD ... if I want to COPY CD's it's ok but if I want to listen to the audio
    > of a DVD it's 'undoable' using modern technology.
    >
    > So, thanks for all of the advice, but I guess I'll just play it back on
    > DVD - through my receiver and record the audio onto a cassette tape or
    > Reel-to-Reel ( Something with a VU meter that can hold 90-120 minutes of
    > audio). From there I'll burn to CD. I'll use 40 year old technology can do
    > what newer technology prevents.

    So, humor us, and list the contents of the DVD. What
    files *can* you see, and in what folder(s) ?

    (In a command prompt window, you can do

    dir /S /B e: > output.txt

    to redirect a directory listing of the "e:" DVD drive to
    a text file. Then, open the output.txt file in Notepad and
    copy out the interesting bits into a posting. If you can't
    find the output.txt file, use your Windows "search" to find it.)

    Next, get a copy of this program, and see if you can
    get format information. This program normally works
    with video files, but check and see if you can see
    an audio track on the files in question.

    http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

    The disc could be protected with something. But
    I'm not up on all the methods (like say, a Sony rootkit).

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 9, 2012
  12. - Bobb -

    Chas Guest

    What are the command line switches /S and /B...what do they command or
    stipulate?
    Thank you. . .chas

    Chas, Jan 9, 2012
  13. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Chas wrote:

    >> (In a command prompt window, you can do
    >>
    >> dir /S /B e: > output.txt

    > What are the command line switches /S and /B...what do they command or
    > stipulate?
    > Thank you. . .chas

    If you do "dir /?" in the command prompt window,
    the command options will be displayed. The descriptions
    didn't really help me very much, as they didn't hint
    as to what the output would look like.

    /B = use bare format (no idea what that means)
    /S = displays files in specified directories and sub-directories

    I didn't know what options to use either, but eventually
    googled /B as being the one I was after. The /S is
    the recursive option, for drilling down through
    the entire file tree. It's to make sure the whole
    storage volume gets listed, to get as complete a
    picture as possible. It is still possible for file
    permissions to prevent viewing all files. (For
    that, you need Linux.) For example, on my
    Windows 7 laptop, there are a few files on C:
    which are "Access Denied" under any circumstances
    (even with nfi.exe), which can be viewed from Linux.
    They're not real files, which is why Windows won't
    let you look at them. But I got a look with Linux
    (they were empty).

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 9, 2012
  14. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    DVD contents

    T:\AUDIO_TS ( = empty)
    T:\VIDEO_TS
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_6.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_7.VOB
    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_8.VOB

    /b = Just the filename
    /s = subdirectories

    - Bobb -, Jan 10, 2012
  15. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > DVD contents
    >
    > T:\AUDIO_TS ( = empty)
    > T:\VIDEO_TS
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_6.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_7.VOB
    > T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_8.VOB
    >
    > /b = Just the filename
    > /s = subdirectories

    OK, unpack the

    http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

    download, and use gspot.exe . Feed it a file like this.

    T:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB

    and check the tracks inside the file. Does GSpot
    claim to be able to play them ? GSpot should use
    the same process as GraphEdit. The buttons at the
    bottom trigger attempts to get codecs already on
    your machine, to play the files. (There are other
    ways to play files, besides loose codec files, so
    this isn't the only way. Just a simple test.)

    For example, this is the output from a track of
    a home made DVD. Apparently encoded with linear PCM.
    Using the buttons, like the "audio" buttons 1,2,3
    in the lower right corner, the sound does actually
    play. I have to turn the volume knob on the PC all
    the way up to hear it, for some reason (well,
    it's home made, and what you'd expect :) )

    http://i.imgur.com/SMZbO.gif

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 10, 2012
  16. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Result - "copy protection" error.
    This IS a store bought DVD , right ?

    If I try gspot with T:\Video_TS\VIDEO_TS.vob , and choose MS AV --- THAT
    works, but it's only the 3 second logo for " Universal Studios DVD ".

    Other VOBs give copy protection error when I try to "open file"

    - Bobb -, Jan 10, 2012
  17. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Result - "copy protection" error.
    > This IS a store bought DVD , right ?
    >
    > If I try gspot with T:\Video_TS\VIDEO_TS.vob , and choose MS AV --- THAT
    > works, but it's only the 3 second logo for " Universal Studios DVD ".
    >
    > Other VOBs give copy protection error when I try to "open file"

    There are all sorts of protection mechanisms, even ones that "overshoot the mark".
    I have no first hand experience with them - I don't have any
    commercial DVDs in the house. Neither have I rented any.
    So I have no source material to test with.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS

    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...n-the-face-for-pc-and-media-center-owners/114

    I would have thought that, plain encryption, would allow copying
    a file, but once you try to read it, it would be scrambled and
    would require decryption. If, on the other hand, you start
    to copy a file, and the file system reports an error,
    it's more likely to be monkey business with file system
    structures (structures that DVD players don't check, but
    computers do check, and the computers run afoul of them
    when attempting to make copies). There are likely
    solutions out there, for all of them. That's the
    nature of this game.

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 10, 2012
  18. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >- Bobb - wrote:
    >> Result - "copy protection" error.
    >> This IS a store bought DVD , right ?
    >>
    >> If I try gspot with T:\Video_TS\VIDEO_TS.vob , and choose MS AV --- THAT
    >> works, but it's only the 3 second logo for " Universal Studios DVD ".
    >>
    >> Other VOBs give copy protection error when I try to "open file"
    >>

    > There are all sorts of protection mechanisms, even ones that "overshoot
    > the mark".
    > I have no first hand experience with them - I don't have any
    > commercial DVDs in the house. Neither have I rented any.
    > So I have no source material to test with.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS
    >
    > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...n-the-face-for-pc-and-media-center-owners/114
    >
    > I would have thought that, plain encryption, would allow copying
    > a file, but once you try to read it, it would be scrambled and
    > would require decryption. If, on the other hand, you start
    > to copy a file, and the file system reports an error,
    > it's more likely to be monkey business with file system
    > structures (structures that DVD players don't check, but
    > computers do check, and the computers run afoul of them
    > when attempting to make copies). There are likely
    > solutions out there, for all of them. That's the
    > nature of this game.
    >
    > Paul

    This seems like it could be a new CAREER and not just something to do
    casually. And I thought I'd simply pop it in , record the audio and be done
    with it - that was a week ago. I'll do it the old-fashioned way .
    Thanks for the help.
    - Bobb -, Jan 10, 2012
  19. - Bobb -

    kelly Guest

    On Jan 5, 3:04 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > I have a concert on DVD
    > I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    > What's the easiest way to do this ?
    > My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    > DVD.  I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    My bad, Bob. AoA DVD Ripper or Aiseesoft DVD Ripper. I tested
    Aiseesoft DVD Ripper extracting the full sound track (size:164,515KB)
    from a random movie (The Pranksters) in around three/five minutes. I
    chose .mp3 and it's as good as it gets. Hope this helps, Bob.
    e-mail me if needed.
    kelly, Jan 10, 2012
  20. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "kelly" <> wrote in message
    On Jan 5, 3:04 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > I have a concert on DVD
    > I'd like to have the audio on my PC as mp3
    > What's the easiest way to do this ?
    > My programs easily record from Cd's but they "won't allow" recording from
    > DVD. I don't care about saving the video, just the audio.

    My bad, Bob. Aiseesoft DVD Ripper. I tested
    Aiseesoft DVD Ripper extracting the full sound track (size:164,515KB)
    from a random movie (The Pranksters) in around three/five minutes. I
    chose .mp3 and it's as good as it gets. Hope this helps, Bob.

    That program DOES work.
    Next time I'll use it. Thanks
    - Bobb -, Jan 10, 2012