    is this equivalent to a WAV file, MP3 file, or DVD-A file ?
    I'm thinking it's the same as DVD-A, but not sure as there is nothing
    about it in the owner's manual.

    musicman, Dec 26, 2006

  2. musicman

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    musicman <> wrote:
    >recently recorded a few old analog stereo music tapes to my DVD
    >recorder's internal storage drive, using the audio in stereo jacks from
    >the tape deck
    >the transfer dub sounds pretty good through the TV stereo speakers
    >question- what resolution is this recording at ?
    >it's an RCA DVD recorder, that can record onto a DVD blank in -R or +R
    >formats, or to the internal storage itself inside the unit
    >is this equivalent to a WAV file, MP3 file, or DVD-A file ?
    >I'm thinking it's the same as DVD-A, but not sure as there is nothing
    >about it in the owner's manual.

    My guess would be that it's in Dolby Digital 2.0 format as part of the DVD
    video stream (with no picture) it created when you made the recording.

    Mike S., Dec 26, 2006

  3. musicman

    musicman Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > musicman <> wrote:
    > >recently recorded a few old analog stereo music tapes to my DVD
    > >recorder's internal storage drive, using the audio in stereo jacks from
    > >the tape deck
    > >the transfer dub sounds pretty good through the TV stereo speakers
    > >question- what resolution is this recording at ?
    > >it's an RCA DVD recorder, that can record onto a DVD blank in -R or +R
    > >formats, or to the internal storage itself inside the unit
    > >is this equivalent to a WAV file, MP3 file, or DVD-A file ?
    > >I'm thinking it's the same as DVD-A, but not sure as there is nothing
    > >about it in the owner's manual.

    > My guess would be that it's in Dolby Digital 2.0 format as part of the DVD
    > video stream (with no picture) it created when you made the recording.

    ok, that's a start- but what would the linear and vertical bit rate be ?

    musicman, Dec 26, 2006
  4. musicman

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    musicman <> wrote:

    >Mike S. wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> musicman <> wrote:
    >> >recently recorded a few old analog stereo music tapes to my DVD
    >> >recorder's internal storage drive, using the audio in stereo jacks from
    >> >the tape deck
    >> >the transfer dub sounds pretty good through the TV stereo speakers
    >> >question- what resolution is this recording at ?
    >> >it's an RCA DVD recorder, that can record onto a DVD blank in -R or +R
    >> >formats, or to the internal storage itself inside the unit
    >> >is this equivalent to a WAV file, MP3 file, or DVD-A file ?
    >> >I'm thinking it's the same as DVD-A, but not sure as there is nothing
    >> >about it in the owner's manual.

    >> My guess would be that it's in Dolby Digital 2.0 format as part of the DVD
    >> video stream (with no picture) it created when you made the recording.

    >ok, that's a start- but what would the linear and vertical bit rate be ?

    That would be a choice made by the designers when the record modes are
    programmed into the recorder's firmware - the specifics of which may or
    may not be listed in the machine's spec sheet.

    Mike S., Dec 27, 2006
  5. musicman

    musicman Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > musicman <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Mike S. wrote:
    > >>
    > >> My guess would be that it's in Dolby Digital 2.0 format as part of the DVD
    > >> video stream (with no picture) it created when you made the recording.

    > >ok, that's a start- but what would the linear and vertical bit rate be ?

    > That would be a choice made by the designers when the record modes are
    > programmed into the recorder's firmware - the specifics of which may or
    > may not be listed in the machine's spec sheet.

    exactly- those specs are not listed

    but these dubs sound really GOOD

    actually better than store bought CD's to be quite honest

    I'm thinking it's at least 48khz/16bit or better- and really easy to do

    a LOT easier than playing the analog parent copy into my computer, then
    burning it on a CD-R, and it sounds better on to boot on the DVD-A

    musicman, Dec 27, 2006
  6. musicman

    musicman Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > musicman <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Mike S. wrote:
    > >>
    > >> My guess would be that it's in Dolby Digital 2.0 format as part of the DVD
    > >> video stream (with no picture) it created when you made the recording.

    > >ok, that's a start- but what would the linear and vertical bit rate be ?

    > That would be a choice made by the designers when the record modes are
    > programmed into the recorder's firmware - the specifics of which may or
    > may not be listed in the machine's spec sheet.

    I did more research and it appears the dubs I'm making are:

    Dolby Digital 2.0:

    48 khz sampling rate (standard for DVD's home use)

    16 bit resolution (but it may be as high as 18 to 24 bit, not exactly
    sure yet, but dynamic range equal to or greater than a CD if 16-18 bit
    or higher)

    bit rate- I believe this is the parameter the designers vary
    internally, to allow changing the recording time from 1 hour to 6
    hours, in 1 hour increments, per DVD blank disk. There are
    128-192-320-384-448 kbps bit rates available for the Dolby Digital
    format- most likely the faster the recording time selected, the higher
    the bit rate while recording- my guess is when I select "1 hour" it's
    at 448 kbps- unfortunately the owners' manual and screen menu doesn't
    give bit rates- it just says "1 hour-2 hour-3-hour-4 hour-5 hour-6
    hour", and the user highlights the choice and hits the "ok" button

    musicman, Dec 28, 2006