Recorded 2 hours, deleted 2 hours, no space left?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tony Tee, Jul 25, 2007.

  1. Tony Tee

    Tony Tee Guest

    Ok dumb questions about recording on my new dvd recorder coming up, as I'm a
    newbie to this..

    I recorded 20 minutes of a program followed by an hour and a half of
    something else (until the disc got full). I watched that 'something else' so
    thought I'd delete it to make some space, and when I went to record some
    more onto the disc after I'd deleted, it only recorded for ten minutes then
    told me my disc is full.

    so i've only got 30 minutes onto this dvd, and the disc is full (120 min
    capable disc)

    now i have read in the manual that by deleting titles won't release any disc
    space.

    how do i clear up space then? 20 mins on this dvd disc and its full,
    madness!

    Tony Tee, Jul 25, 2007

  2. > how do i clear up space then? 20 mins on this dvd disc and its full,
    > madness!

    If it's a plain - or + disc all deleting does
    it remove the entry from the discs directory
    (something like that) but the physical space on
    the disc is still taken.

    If you want to re-use a disc you'll have to use
    -rw or +rw or even RAM if your recorder supports
    it.

    drc :)

    =====
    Photography, video and media services
    visit us: www.dragonfyrephoto.com

    AOL users! - please use a separate
    browser such as Firefox when visiting

    Darrel Christenson, Jul 25, 2007

  3. Tony Tee

    Stan Brown Guest

    Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:24:06 +0100 from Tony Tee
    <>:
    > Ok dumb questions about recording on my new dvd recorder coming up, as I'm a
    > newbie to this..
    >
    > I recorded 20 minutes of a program followed by an hour and a half of
    > something else (until the disc got full).

    What type of disc? DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, other?

    > I watched that 'something else' so
    > thought I'd delete it to make some space, and when I went to record some
    > more onto the disc after I'd deleted, it only recorded for ten minutes then
    > told me my disc is full.
    >
    > now i have read in the manual that by deleting titles won't release any disc
    > space.
    >
    > how do i clear up space then? 20 mins on this dvd disc and its full,
    > madness!

    Perhaps your broken Shift key is driving you crazy.

    A -RW disc can be reinitialized -- your manual should tell you how.
    When you reinitialize it, it becomes an empty disc again.

    A -R or +R can be written only once. When you record something on it,
    that space is used and can never be recovered. There's no such thing
    as reinitializing a -R or +R. But since you can buy several of them
    for the price of a candy bar, I wouldn't worry about it.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Jul 25, 2007
  4. Stan Brown <> wrote:

    > > Ok dumb questions about recording on my new dvd recorder coming up, as I'm
    > > newbie to this..
    > >
    > > I recorded 20 minutes of a program followed by an hour and a half of
    > > something else (until the disc got full).

    > What type of disc? DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, other?
    >
    > > I watched that 'something else' so
    > > thought I'd delete it to make some space, and when I went to record some
    > > more onto the disc after I'd deleted, it only recorded for ten minutes then
    > > told me my disc is full.
    > >
    > > now i have read in the manual that by deleting titles won't release any
    > > disc
    > > space.
    > >
    > > how do i clear up space then? 20 mins on this dvd disc and its full,
    > > madness!

    > Perhaps your broken Shift key is driving you crazy.
    >
    > A -RW disc can be reinitialized -- your manual should tell you how.
    > When you reinitialize it, it becomes an empty disc again.

    A DVDrw cannot be partially erased or partially written over? That's
    lame. Video tape can be partially written over, and DVDs cannot be.
    I guess the OP will have to copy all but the unwanted portions onto
    another disc, each time you wish to add something.

    So if you want to add a half hour program to a disc at a time until
    it is full, you'll have to:

    1) Erase Disc
    2) record program to hard drive or another disc
    3) write dvd-rw
    4) record program
    3) copy disc
    4) erase disc
    5) write disc
    6) record program
    7) copy disc
    8) erase disc
    9) write disc,
    etc.,
    four operations per half hour program,
    until you get wise and go VHS for the convenience.
    Of course, I suspect all the geeks will say:
    "why store video on anything but a harddrive? peeps don't
    need tapes, dvds, cds, etc., that is old hat, be with it, man, be
    more ephemeral".

    Walter Traprock, Jul 25, 2007
  5. Tony Tee

    Tony Tee Guest

    > What type of disc? DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, other?

    Its DVD-R discs, I bought 25 of them for £5. I always thought you can go and
    erase digital stuff as long as you haven't finalised the disc.

    (My recorder can use DVD-RAM so maybe I'll get some of them next time).

    My Audio Cd burner unit used to let me record audio, onto my cd-r audio
    discs, and if i pressed delete, it just cleans it off and you go over it,
    that was digital format, and didn't need a cd-rw unless I had actually
    finalised the disc. Thats wht I guessed I could just wipe and go over with
    digital video, same as with my digital camera, and my audio cd burner.

    Tony Tee, Jul 25, 2007
  6. Tony Tee

    Stan Brown Guest

    Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:41:36 +0100 from Tony Tee
    <>:
    > Its DVD-R discs, I bought 25 of them for £5. I always thought you can go and
    > erase digital stuff as long as you haven't finalised the disc.

    I can understand why you thought that, but now you know better.
    Still, 20p isn't that much to spend for a copy that you can watch any
    time. (I wish the used discs could be recycled, though, and not just
    put in the trash.)

    Finalizing has nothing to do with whether you can re-record a DVD. If
    you have finalized a DVD-RW, you can still reinitialize it and start
    fresh. (This can be done a limited number of times, not 100,000
    times.) If you have *not* finalized a DVD-R or +R, you can *not*
    erase anything that's already there.

    Finalizing in DVD recording means two things: you can no longer add
    anything to what is already there, and a wider range of players will
    play the disc. (Many DVD players, and even some computer DVD drives,
    won't play a home-burned DVD unless you finalize it.)

    > My Audio Cd burner unit used to let me record audio, onto my cd-r audio
    > discs, and if i pressed delete, it just cleans it off and you go over it,
    > that was digital format, and didn't need a cd-rw unless I had actually
    > finalised the disc.

    Sorry to disagree, but that can't be right. I'll bet pounds to pence
    that this is what was happening: Your audio software was setting up a
    playlist for burning to CD, but while you were making changes nothing
    had actually been burned. When you "finalized" the disc in your
    software, that's when it actually began burning and *then*
    finalizing.

    P.S. When you quote someone, it's polite to attribute the quote.
    http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Jul 25, 2007