    years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
    it high density at a much higher price, initially.

    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

    RichA, Feb 13, 2005

  2. RichA

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
    > standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
    > will need new materials (expensive).
    > Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
    > years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
    > it high density at a much higher price, initially.
    >
    > http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

    No, HD-DVDs will require new disks. I've never read anything
    otherwise. The advantage for HD-DVDs to the manufacturers is that they
    can change over an existing DVD production line to HD-DVD supposedly in
    a few minutes. Blu-Ray with it's 0.1 mm deep recording layer requires
    new manufacturing hardware, but Blu-Ray has a larger storage capacity
    which makes it more viable for HD movies in the long run.

    Alan F

    Alan Figgatt, Feb 13, 2005

  3. RichA

    Rich Clark Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
    > standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
    > will need new materials (expensive).
    > Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
    > years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
    > it high density at a much higher price, initially.
    >
    > http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

    Nonsense. It doesn't say that there, or anywhere else.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 13, 2005
  4. "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message

    > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
    >> standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
    >> will need new materials (expensive).
    >> Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
    >> years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
    >> it high density at a much higher price, initially.
    >>
    >> http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

    > Nonsense. It doesn't say that there, or anywhere else.

    It might very well be nonsense, but couldn't it be possible? From what I
    understand, HD-DVD players will be able to read "standard" DVD discs. Why
    couldn't somebody put high definition video on a standard DVD, assuming the
    player supported it? I mean, you can put DVD-quality video on a CD (only
    about 15-20 minutes worth from what I recall). I believe that is called a
    "Super VCD" and I think some DVD players *do* read discs like that. In the
    end, it's all just 1's and 0's..just a matter of how many you can squeeze on
    the disc. :)

    Patrick Michael, Feb 15, 2005
  5. RichA

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Patrick Michael wrote:
    > "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>> Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
    >>> standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
    >>> will need new materials (expensive).
    >>> Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
    >>> years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
    >>> it high density at a much higher price, initially.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

    >> Nonsense. It doesn't say that there, or anywhere else.
    >>

    > It might very well be nonsense, but couldn't it be possible? From
    > what I understand, HD-DVD players will be able to read "standard" DVD
    > discs. Why couldn't somebody put high definition video on a standard
    > DVD, assuming the player supported it?

    Why would you want to? The disc wouldn't be able to store enough to make it
    worthwhile, and you'd still need HD output to see it properly.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 15, 2005