    we were gathering evidence to file lawsuits," said a spokeswoman for the
    RIAA, the music recording industry's leading trade body.

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3513049&thesection=news
    shoot out, Jul 17, 2003

  2. shoot out

    shoot out Guest

    "shoot out" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The Recording Industry Association of America on Wednesday said it sent

    out
    > subpoenas to internet service providers as it prepares to sue hundreds of
    > individuals who illegally distribute songs over the web.
    >
    > "This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Filing information

    subpoenas
    > is exactly what we said we'd do a couple of weeks ago when we announced

    that
    > we were gathering evidence to file lawsuits," said a spokeswoman for the
    > RIAA, the music recording industry's leading trade body.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3513049&thesection=news

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3513152&thesection=techno
    logy
    shoot out, Jul 17, 2003

  3. shoot out

    T.N.O. Guest

    shoot out wrote:

    > The Recording Industry Association of America on Wednesday said it sent out
    > subpoenas to internet service providers as it prepares to sue hundreds of
    > individuals who illegally distribute songs over the web.
    >
    > "This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Filing information subpoenas
    > is exactly what we said we'd do a couple of weeks ago when we announced that
    > we were gathering evidence to file lawsuits," said a spokeswoman for the
    > RIAA, the music recording industry's leading trade body.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3513049&thesection=news

    hehe nice link :)
    T.N.O., Jul 17, 2003
  4. shoot out

    T.N.O. Guest

    shoot out wrote:

    > "shoot out" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The Recording Industry Association of America on Wednesday said it sent

    > out
    >
    >>subpoenas to internet service providers as it prepares to sue hundreds of
    >>individuals who illegally distribute songs over the web.
    >>
    >>"This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Filing information

    > subpoenas
    >
    >>is exactly what we said we'd do a couple of weeks ago when we announced

    > that
    >
    >>we were gathering evidence to file lawsuits," said a spokeswoman for the
    >>RIAA, the music recording industry's leading trade body.
    >>
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3513049&thesection=news

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3513152&thesection=techno
    > logy

    and now the correctiong.
    T.N.O., Jul 17, 2003
  5. shoot out

    lily Guest

    "shoot out" <> wrote in message
    > "shoot out" <> wrote in message
    > > The Recording Industry Association of America on Wednesday said it sent

    > out
    > > subpoenas to internet service providers as it prepares to sue hundreds

    of
    > > individuals who illegally distribute songs over the web.
    > >
    > > "This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Filing information

    > subpoenas
    > > is exactly what we said we'd do a couple of weeks ago when we announced

    > that
    > > we were gathering evidence to file lawsuits," said a spokeswoman for the
    > > RIAA, the music recording industry's leading trade body.

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3513049&thesection=news

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3513152&thesection=techno
    > logy

    The RIAA has set itself a herculean task: If Whitney and her friends are any
    guide, the industry has failed utterly to convince this generation of teens
    of the merits of its case

    http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0718/p13s01-almp.html
    lily, Jul 18, 2003
  6. shoot out

    Peter KERR Guest

    In article <8TFRa.5475$>, "lily" <>
    wrote:
    > The RIAA has set itself a herculean task: If Whitney and her friends are any
    > guide, the industry has failed utterly to convince this generation of teens
    > of the merits of its case
    >
    > http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0718/p13s01-almp.html

    "I do buy a lot of CDs," she says. "I never download a
    whole album that I don't already own. It's just really
    convenient to be able to make a whole mix on a CD out
    of a bunch of different artists with only your favorite
    songs."

    IIRC that was one of the promises dangled before us to persuade
    the vinyl laggards to switch to CD: go down to your local Marbecks or
    Real Groovy, make your own compilation, and the man will burn it
    on the spot.

    If the industry can't provide what the customer wants, the customer will
    find her own solution...
    Peter KERR, Jul 18, 2003
  7. "Peter KERR" <> wrote in message
    > In article <8TFRa.5475$>, "lily" <>
    > wrote:
    > > The RIAA has set itself a herculean task: If Whitney and her friends are

    any
    > > guide, the industry has failed utterly to convince this generation of

    teens
    > > of the merits of its case
    > >
    > > http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0718/p13s01-almp.html

    > "I do buy a lot of CDs," she says. "I never download a
    > whole album that I don't already own. It's just really
    > convenient to be able to make a whole mix on a CD out
    > of a bunch of different artists with only your favorite
    > songs."

    What a waste of bandwidth. Ever heard of ripping tracks from your own CDs?
    Fool.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 19, 2003
  8. shoot out

    lily Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter KERR" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <8TFRa.5475$>, "lily" <>
    > > wrote:
    > > > The RIAA has set itself a herculean task: If Whitney and her friends

    are
    > any
    > > > guide, the industry has failed utterly to convince this generation of

    > teens
    > > > of the merits of its case
    > > >
    > > > http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0718/p13s01-almp.html

    > > "I do buy a lot of CDs," she says. "I never download a
    > > whole album that I don't already own. It's just really
    > > convenient to be able to make a whole mix on a CD out
    > > of a bunch of different artists with only your favorite
    > > songs."

    > What a waste of bandwidth. Ever heard of ripping tracks from your own CDs?
    > Fool.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    How else would the tracks get into Kazaa ?
    lily, Jul 19, 2003
  9. shoot out

    Ben Perston Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:45:16 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    >> "I do buy a lot of CDs," she says. "I never download a
    >> whole album that I don't already own. It's just really
    >> convenient to be able to make a whole mix on a CD out
    >> of a bunch of different artists with only your favorite
    >> songs."

    > What a waste of bandwidth. Ever heard of ripping tracks from your own CDs?
    > Fool.

    She can't hear you... plus it's probably just as fast to download as rip,
    with a real internet connection (and uncritical listeners aren't bothered
    by the on-average crap quality you find online).
    Ben Perston, Jul 19, 2003
  10. shoot out

    Ben Perston Guest

    k y l e wrote: