    --
    Newsman - on CD piracy: "Entertainment meets Geekery meets Vengeance. It's
    unstoppable. A match made in Heaven."
    Lennier, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Bruce Simpson, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Lennier

    Craig Shore Guest

    Craig Shore, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Lennier

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:06:28 +1300, Lennier
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >interesting in the light of the recent debate on nz.general...
    > >
    > >Record Labels May Have to Pay Double Royalties
    > >http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/13/1931202
    > >

    > It was also thtr topic of today's Aardvark -- breaking perfectly good
    > news for nine years :)

    -Breaking- Bruce? I assume you're referring to other articles you've
    written as from the date code on the slashdot article it looks like you were
    a few days (okay *a* day) later.

    I'm still waiting for you to break the news that a polly has been elected
    and assigned an IT portfolio who actually **KNOWS** stuff (as opposed to
    stuff all) about IT - oh and is prepared to promote it through parliment.
    The Hobbit, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Lennier

    Invisible Guest

    You mean they'll have to pay the artists US$2 per unit instead of $1?
    Invisible, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Invisible wrote:
    > You mean they'll have to pay the artists US$2 per unit instead of $1?

    yep, expect CD prices to double accordingly
    :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 14, 2004
  7. On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:37:27 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Invisible wrote:
    >> You mean they'll have to pay the artists US$2 per unit instead of $1?

    >yep, expect CD prices to double accordingly
    >:)

    And let's not forget that they'll be paying someone royalties for that
    copy-protection stuff and the DRM stuff.

    It looks as if, even though they may get more money, the artist will
    probably get an even lower percentage of the retail price than they
    did before.

    Bruce Simpson, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Lennier

    harry Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > You mean they'll have to pay the artists US$2 per unit instead of $1?

    Most artists never get paid royalties because the record company contracts
    entitle them to recover their advance plus all costs before they have to pay
    any.
    harry, Jan 14, 2004