    1. Advertising

  2. philo

    Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Apr 7, 2006

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya philo.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.grand-illusions.com/toycollection/record_runner/

    > I remember that when it was first shown on the early evening news-type
    > programme here called "Nationwide" way back when... :)

    Well I missed the news report as we have no TV here...
    But I've got a few "Victrolas" in the house!
    philo, Apr 7, 2006
  4. philo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya philo.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Well I missed the news report as we have no TV here...
    > But I've got a few "Victrolas" in the house!

    It was in the 70s :)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Apr 7, 2006
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya philo.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >

    >>Well I missed the news report as we have no TV here...
    >>But I've got a few "Victrolas" in the house!

    > It was in the 70s :)

    OH...

    I did have a TV then...It was around 1988 when I got rid of the TV...
    But I entered the modern age in 1999 when I got a computer !
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  6. philo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya philo.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > I did have a TV then...It was around 1988 when I got rid of the TV...
    > But I entered the modern age in 1999 when I got a computer !

    Does the computer have a TV card? Very useful for those rare times
    there's something actually worth watching these days ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Apr 8, 2006
  7. philo

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before philo decided to brighten up my day by
    saying:

    > http://www.grand-illusions.com/toycollection/record_runner/

    Way to spoil those 180 gram Japanese vinyls !!!
    --
    slumpy
    tradelist and images - http://tinyurl.com/devgk
    slumpy, Apr 8, 2006
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya philo.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >

    >>I did have a TV then...It was around 1988 when I got rid of the TV...
    >>But I entered the modern age in 1999 when I got a computer !

    > Does the computer have a TV card? Very useful for those rare times
    > there's something actually worth watching these days ;)

    No TV card...
    we just plain do ne need a TV I guess

    once in a while we will rent a movie as our computers at least have DVD
    players...
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    slumpy wrote:
    > To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    > people, I typed this just before philo decided to brighten up my day by
    > saying:
    >

    >>http://www.grand-illusions.com/toycollection/record_runner/

    > Way to spoil those 180 gram Japanese vinyls !!!

    Oh I'm sure you would not want to use it on on of your good records...
    but it looks like an interesting novelty...

    of course i'm not going to get one
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  10. philo

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before philo decided to brighten up my day by
    saying:

    > slumpy wrote:
    > > To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of
    > > dumb people, I typed this just before philo decided to brighten up
    > > my day by saying:
    > >

    > > > http://www.grand-illusions.com/toycollection/record_runner/

    > > Way to spoil those 180 gram Japanese vinyls !!!

    > Oh I'm sure you would not want to use it on on of your good records...
    > but it looks like an interesting novelty...
    >
    > of course i'm not going to get one

    Of course not !!

    It's one of those things you never see in the Gadgetshop [mainly because
    they closed over 12 months ago after going bankrupt] or anywhere slightly
    quirky, and would never dream of ordering online. It's much more fun to
    watch a little video and imagine some poor fucker ruining his Beatles 7"
    acetates...
    slumpy, Apr 8, 2006
  11. philo

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before philo decided to brighten up my day by
    saying:

    > Ponder wrote:
    > > Hiya philo.
    > >
    > > In <news:> you wrote:
    > >

    > > > I did have a TV then...It was around 1988 when I got rid of the
    > > > TV... But I entered the modern age in 1999 when I got a computer !

    > > Does the computer have a TV card? Very useful for those rare times
    > > there's something actually worth watching these days ;)
    > >

    > No TV card...
    > we just plain do ne need a TV I guess
    >
    > once in a while we will rent a movie as our computers at least have
    > DVD players...

    Why do I imagine a long bench with 4 monitors and 4 chairs and emails flying
    between the family members ?
    slumpy, Apr 8, 2006
  12. philo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya slumpy.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > It's one of those things you never see in the Gadgetshop [mainly because
    > they closed over 12 months ago after going bankrupt]

    They're back but online only ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Apr 8, 2006
  13. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > Why do I imagine a long bench with 4 monitors and 4 chairs and emails flying
    > between the family members ?

    You are very perceptive...
    Back before I got into computers I had visited a friend who had 6 computers.
    I told my girlfriend that "Tom" was a hopeless looser because he had so
    many computers...

    Well now i have been known to have as many as 40 computers in the house.

    (not all in use )

    In my office are two computers and a KVM switch

    then my girlfriend has her computer which she uses mainly for Photoshop...

    then I have a work bench in the basement large enough to easily work on
    three or 4 machines at a time...

    however i have a photographer friend who lost his studio...
    so he's setup down there too...

    so between 3 people...there are sometimes as many as 5 machines running
    at a time...
    all hooked up through two different routers...

    I guess there just is no time for TV around here!
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  14. philo

    philo Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya slumpy.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >

    >>It's one of those things you never see in the Gadgetshop [mainly because
    >>they closed over 12 months ago after going bankrupt]

    > They're back but online only ;)

    When I was a kid....the 78 rpm record was referred to as "standard"

    things have sure come a long ways since then!
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  15. philo

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before Ponder decided to brighten up my day by
    saying:

    > Hiya slumpy.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    > > It's one of those things you never see in the Gadgetshop [mainly
    > > because they closed over 12 months ago after going bankrupt]

    > They're back but online only ;)

    Hmmm....do I really wanna send my money to a firm that went bust ?
    slumpy, Apr 8, 2006
  16. philo

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before philo decided to brighten up my day by
    saying:

    > <snip>
    > >
    > > Why do I imagine a long bench with 4 monitors and 4 chairs and
    > > emails flying between the family members ?

    > You are very perceptive...
    > Back before I got into computers I had visited a friend who had 6
    > computers. I told my girlfriend that "Tom" was a hopeless looser
    > because he had so many computers...
    >
    > Well now i have been known to have as many as 40 computers in the
    > house.
    >

    > (not all in use )
    >
    > In my office are two computers and a KVM switch
    >
    > then my girlfriend has her computer which she uses mainly for
    > Photoshop...
    >
    > then I have a work bench in the basement large enough to easily work
    > on three or 4 machines at a time...
    >
    > however i have a photographer friend who lost his studio...
    > so he's setup down there too...
    >
    > so between 3 people...there are sometimes as many as 5 machines
    > running
    > at a time...
    > all hooked up through two different routers...
    >
    > I guess there just is no time for TV around here!

    Your house isn't a large ATX case, is it ?
    slumpy, Apr 8, 2006
  17. philo

    slumpy Guest

    To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to piss off a lot of dumb
    people, I typed this just before philo decided to brighten up my day by
    saying:

    > Ponder wrote:
    > > Hiya slumpy.
    > >
    > > In <news:> you wrote:
    > >

    > > > It's one of those things you never see in the Gadgetshop [mainly
    > > > because they closed over 12 months ago after going bankrupt]

    > > They're back but online only ;)
    > >

    > When I was a kid....the 78 rpm record was referred to as "standard"
    >
    > things have sure come a long ways since then!

    If you broke up 78s and boiled them in water they would dissolve, and you
    could drink the liquor and get high man !!
    slumpy, Apr 8, 2006
  18. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>
    >>so between 3 people...there are sometimes as many as 5 machines
    >>running
    >>at a time...
    >>all hooked up through two different routers...
    >>
    >>I guess there just is no time for TV around here!

    > Your house isn't a large ATX case, is it ?

    If my house were a sentient creature...it would be a bit addled.

    The house was built in 1898...

    It had running water...and it had natural gas.

    There was no other outside connection.

    that means:

    no electricity
    no telephone
    no cable

    Going through all the records... I found out that the place was
    electrified in 1932!
    Electric light fixtures were put in where there had previosly been gas.

    BTW: when I moved in ...in 1979...the gas pipes which now had electic
    lighting attached...were still connected to the main gas pipe!
    I decided to disconnect the gas lighting feed!
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  19. philo

    philo Guest

    >>> They're back but online only ;)
    >>>

    >>When I was a kid....the 78 rpm record was referred to as "standard"
    >>
    >>things have sure come a long ways since then!

    > If you broke up 78s and boiled them in water they would dissolve, and you
    > could drink the liquor and get high man !!

    I was a very good little boy...
    I never even got drunk until I was 18.

    When drunk...I dropped one of my prize 78rpm records on the floor...

    wow did that thing shatter!

    Later , as an adult who never grew up...
    I took my five year old daughter down in the basement with a lot of
    *really bad* 78's and we smashed them up!

    At first she got real wide eyed...then we had fun.

    I was finding pieces of broken records for the next 15 years!!!!
    philo, Apr 8, 2006
  20. philo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya slumpy.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    >> They're back but online only ;)

    > Hmmm....do I really wanna send my money to a firm that went bust ?

    Only the name is the same, they're run by someone else.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Apr 8, 2006