    the readers of this newsgroup recommend?

    Regards,
    Nigel.
    Nigel, May 1, 2006

  2. Nigel

    Graham Guest

    > Looking for a recommendation on what VoIP service to try in a domestic
    > situation.
    > I understand from previous posts that Skype isn't the best, so what would
    > the readers of this newsgroup recommend?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nigel.

    Skype always seems to come up in dinner-party conversation;

    how it obtained its undeserved ubiquity I don't know. Skype rarely gets
    discussed here.

    Check out the many Fianarea services such as VoIPDiscount VoIPCheap &
    VoIPStunt.

    IMHO it is this little known company that has revolutionized this industry,
    at least for domestic customers.

    --

    Graham

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, May 1, 2006

  3. Nigel

    Jono Guest

    Nigel wrote on 01/05/2006 :
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Looking for a recommendation on what VoIP service to try in a domestic
    > situation.
    > I understand from previous posts that Skype isn't the best, so what would the
    > readers of this newsgroup recommend?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nigel.

    Sipgate will provide a free inbound UK geographic number, without any
    requirement to credit your account. voip.co.uk require a £10 top-up and
    will also provide a UK number.

    Sipgate have had issues, however, they've recently upgraded their
    servers. For a completely free service, it is fantastic, so long as you
    don't mind email only support. Any issues I've ever had (been with them
    a year) have been dealt with swiftly. The same goes for voip.co.uk.
    Call quality on both is great.

    Sipgate has the edge if you're wanting to make free voip-voip calls.

    If you want to pay for service, you can't go far wrong with gradwell.
    Jono, May 1, 2006
  4. Nigel

    Graham Guest

    > Sipgate will provide a free inbound UK geographic number, without any
    > requirement to credit your account. voip.co.uk require a £10 top-up and
    > will also provide a UK number.
    >
    > Sipgate have had issues, however, they've recently upgraded their servers.
    > For a completely free service, it is fantastic, so long as you don't mind
    > email only support. Any issues I've ever had (been with them a year) have
    > been dealt with swiftly. The same goes for voip.co.uk. Call quality on
    > both is great

    Yes, I have noticed a vast improvement in Sipgate recently

    although I only use them for incoming calls as I prefer not to pay for UK
    calls by the

    minute.

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, May 1, 2006
  5. Nigel

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > > Sipgate will provide a free inbound UK geographic
    > > number, without any requirement to credit your account.
    > > voip.co.uk require a £10 top-up and will also provide a
    > > UK number. Sipgate have had issues, however, they've recently
    > > upgraded their servers. For a completely free service,
    > > it is fantastic, so long as you don't mind email only
    > > support. Any issues I've ever had (been with them a
    > > year) have been dealt with swiftly. The same goes for
    > > voip.co.uk. Call quality on both is great

    > Yes, I have noticed a vast improvement in Sipgate recently
    > although I only use them for incoming calls as I prefer
    > not to pay for UK calls by the minute.

    This isn't really an issue with me, as the vast majority of my calls are
    to other VoIP users. Mainly Sipgate, but some on Gradwell and the odd FWD
    call. I make so few calls to the PSTN that it isn't really a problem. I
    think in the 18 months I've been on Sipgate I've spent a total of approx.
    £8 on PSTN calls, and that's spread over 3 numbers.

    The improvement in Sipgate is probably due to the recent server upgrades.
    In the couple of weeks since this, I haven't had a single registration
    error or call setup problem. Before that I was getting dozens of
    registration errors per day.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 2, 2006