    more importantly I'm seeking one with a feature such as "wildfire",
    also known by other knock offs as follow-me (or find me and announce)
    type abilities.
    Brian Quandt, Sep 13, 2003

  2. >Can anyone recommend (or not recommend) which ones are doing well, and
    >more importantly I'm seeking one with a feature such as "wildfire",
    >also known by other knock offs as follow-me (or find me and announce)
    >type abilities.

    Vonage is the most successful in terms of customers. Packet8 is in
    terrible financial shape.

    VoicePulse offers the fanciest array of features, with their main
    disadvantage being that they only offer numbers in the northeast.
    None of them have follow-me as complete as Wildfire, but Vonage will
    ring your VoIP phone for a length of time you can set, then ring the
    forward-to number for another length of time you can set, then send
    the call to voicemail.

    IConnectHere lets you use your own terminal equipment, so if you
    wanted to try to lash up their service to your own code or maybe
    Asterisk, you might be able to set up all sorts of fancy features
    yourself.

    Regards,
    John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
    "More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.
    John R. Levine, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Brian Quandt

    Sara Garland Guest

    Brian Quandt <> wrote:

    > I'm looking into one of the services for VOIP, such as Vonage, etc.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend (or not recommend) which ones are doing well

    Vonage is the largest and best-funded, with the most subscribers, which
    I why I chose them - they're less likely to go under than the
    competition. They also have a deal for an Earthlink-rebranded version
    ("Unlimited Voice"), so their continued existence is more likely than
    not.

    In my opinion, sound quality is very good, slightly worse than a
    landline, but much better than cellular. Free voicemail, call-waiting,
    etc makes it an excellent deal.

    Good luck.
    Sara Garland, Sep 14, 2003