    be able to connect VCR. i have Envy24 7.1 sound on my pc but 5.1 would
    be good enough for me if they were good speakers.

    any recommendations welcome :)
    gimp, May 5, 2005

  2. gimp

    Evil Bastard Guest

    gimp wrote:
    > considering i don't need CD/DVD/radio i'm thinking of a new pc speaker
    > setup; is it possible to get good speakers for only a few hundred
    > dollars...? not expecting floor-standing components for that price
    > obviously but they have to be of decent build quality and not sound like
    > tinny sh**. (and include a sub obviously).

    For anyone serious about their PC sound, there's only one choice:

    horn-loaded TL-15 cabinets

    EV (ElectroVoice) makes nice ones.

    With patience, a pair of these can be picked up from Cash Converters,
    Trademe, Trade/Exchange or a 'resourceful acquaintance' for "only a few
    hundred dollars".

    Suitable rack-mount 'heads' (ie, amplifiers) to suit can also be found
    from the above sources.

    Lining the walls and ceiling with acoustic foam might also be advisable
    to prevent problems with the neighbours.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, May 5, 2005

  3. Suddenly, gimp sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > for my pc and VCR sound i'm still using an ancient aiwa NSX-V900, which
    > is not very good for gaming 'cause of the fake-surround speakers
    > built-in to the top of each speaker. it gets confusing when a lot of the
    > time the rear sounds are merged with the side, in fact i can't even tell
    > if the stereo has been reversed...
    >
    > considering i don't need CD/DVD/radio i'm thinking of a new pc speaker
    > setup; is it possible to get good speakers for only a few hundred
    > dollars...? not expecting floor-standing components for that price
    > obviously but they have to be of decent build quality and not sound like
    > tinny sh**. (and include a sub obviously).

    I couldn't find any. I couldn't take seriously most of the PC speaker
    systems I could find, as they all had 1-way satellites. There's no way
    to produce decent music response without a tweeter. Confirmed this by
    listening, they all have that "transistor radio" sound.

    There are a few systems with 2-way (at least for front) but they are
    more like $500.

    I ended up wondering if buying one of the better all-in-one DVD+receiver
    units (e.g. pioneer) would be the cheapest way from scratch.

    What I actually bought was the cheapest 5-ch receiver and sub I could
    find (350 each from Harvey Norman), with bookshelf speakers I already
    had. Sounds pretty good.

    You get what you pay for with speakers...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, May 5, 2005
  4. gimp

    ardz Guest

    "gimp" <> wrote in message
    > for my pc and VCR sound i'm still using an ancient aiwa NSX-V900, which
    > is not very good for gaming 'cause of the fake-surround speakers
    > built-in to the top of each speaker. it gets confusing when a lot of the
    > time the rear sounds are merged with the side, in fact i can't even tell
    > if the stereo has been reversed...
    >
    > considering i don't need CD/DVD/radio i'm thinking of a new pc speaker
    > setup; is it possible to get good speakers for only a few hundred
    > dollars...? not expecting floor-standing components for that price
    > obviously but they have to be of decent build quality and not sound like
    > tinny sh**. (and include a sub obviously).
    >
    > aaand.. can i also connect the two-chanel RCA out from my video to them
    > somehow...? major newb question but i know squat about audio.. i have to
    > be able to connect VCR. i have Envy24 7.1 sound on my pc but 5.1 would
    > be good enough for me if they were good speakers.
    >
    > any recommendations welcome :)

    I got a set of Creative 5.1 speakers that included a control unit with built
    in Dolby Digital decoder for around $180 on trade me. Great for gaming and
    it also has analogue input on top of the optical and coaxial digital input.
    It can be fed 5.1 via analogue inputs(from a 5.1 sound card)or
    digital(optical and coaxial. Great little system but just "ok" in the upper
    frequencies. I heard a Logitech 5.1 system that sounded great brand new for
    $150-200. You cant beat 5.1 directionality for those 5.1 encoded games :)
    ardz, May 5, 2005
  5. gimp

    gimp Guest

    ardz wrote:
    > I got a set of Creative 5.1 speakers that included a control unit with built
    > in Dolby Digital decoder for around $180 on trade me. Great for gaming and
    > it also has analogue input on top of the optical and coaxial digital input.
    > It can be fed 5.1 via analogue inputs(from a 5.1 sound card)or
    > digital(optical and coaxial. Great little system but just "ok" in the upper
    > frequencies. I heard a Logitech 5.1 system that sounded great brand new for
    > $150-200.

    thanks for your reply - i've been looking around online this morning and
    the Ligitech Z680 has received good reviews - although a bit pricey at
    around 450 +. the Z-5300e is $100 less, although i hear the cables are
    really short and its remote is wired which i don't like.

    most setups under $300 seem to average about 10W rms on the
    satellites... i have a 400 sq foot room to fill up with sound and i
    think they would struggle with movies... my mini-system is old and nasty
    but it does have 80W rms per channel.
    gimp, May 6, 2005