    Which is the receommended media player for use with Firefox?

    From time to time I have had Real Player, Windows Media Player, Quick Time and
    perhaps even some others on my computer. I forget now which one was called in
    by Firefox.

    I recently did a total wipe and reload, and now have only WMP.
    However, it does not seem to work too well with Firefox - it first downloads the
    whole media file before starting to play it.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks!

    John <><
    John, Oct 15, 2005

  2. John

    mike555 Guest

    John <>< wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > Which is the receommended media player for use with Firefox?

    --- snip ---

    ==== I too have tried many, got rid of them and installed "Media Player
    Classic" , after a clean reinstall of XP , you'll also need the codacs
    , I suggest going to ... http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
    and get the full version, it has Media Player Classic as well as all
    the codacs you'll need ====
    mike555, Oct 15, 2005

  3. John

    Moz Champion Guest

    John <>< wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > Which is the receommended media player for use with Firefox?
    >
    > From time to time I have had Real Player, Windows Media Player, Quick Time and
    > perhaps even some others on my computer. I forget now which one was called in
    > by Firefox.
    >
    > I recently did a total wipe and reload, and now have only WMP.
    > However, it does not seem to work too well with Firefox - it first downloads the
    > whole media file before starting to play it.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John <><

    There is no media player that covers all media, tho some are quite adept
    at most (Windows Media Player and QuickTime)
    Even with either of the above two, you may find you need RealPlayer (and
    Flash for Director) as well.
    Many Windows users are unhappy with QuickTime as the basic install tends
    to 'take over' for all compatable media types, tho it can be tamed.

    Personally, I use QuickTime (but them I'm on a Mac anyway) as the
    mainplayer, with WMP, RealPlayer, Flash and Flash for Director installed
    as well and that combination seems to play 95% or more of the media I
    come accross

    Plug ins are available here (be sure to follow directions for each)
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html
    Moz Champion, Oct 19, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 04:07:02 GMT, Moz Champion <>
    wrote:

    >John <>< wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> Which is the receommended media player for use with Firefox?

    >There is no media player that covers all media, tho some are quite adept
    >at most (Windows Media Player and QuickTime)
    >
    >Plug ins are available here (be sure to follow directions for each)
    >http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html

    (I deleted most of the "stuff" from the two previous posts).

    I still have a problem:
    Let's take one of the audio files (MP3 format) on this page
    http://www.myjourney.ca/archives.shtml for example:

    If I click on one of the files while using MS-IE, Windows Media Player opens;
    and the audio starts playing WHILE the whole file is downloading.

    If I click on a file using Firefox, the download window opens, the whole file
    downloads, THEN Windows media Player opens and starts playing the file.

    I downloaded and installed "Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP" but do not
    see any plug-ins related to WMP in the folder "Mozilla Firefox/Plugins" .
    I'm using Firefox 1.0.7.

    Any furhter suggestions you can give me?

    Thanks!

    John <><
    John, Oct 20, 2005
  5. John <>< wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 04:07:02 GMT, Moz Champion <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> John <>< wrote:
    >>> Hi:
    >>>
    >>> Which is the receommended media player for use with Firefox?

    >> There is no media player that covers all media, tho some are quite adept
    >> at most (Windows Media Player and QuickTime)
    >>
    >> Plug ins are available here (be sure to follow directions for each)
    >> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html

    > (I deleted most of the "stuff" from the two previous posts).
    >
    > I still have a problem:
    > Let's take one of the audio files (MP3 format) on this page
    > http://www.myjourney.ca/archives.shtml for example:
    >
    > If I click on one of the files while using MS-IE, Windows Media Player opens;
    > and the audio starts playing WHILE the whole file is downloading.
    >
    > If I click on a file using Firefox, the download window opens, the whole file
    > downloads, THEN Windows media Player opens and starts playing the file.
    >
    > I downloaded and installed "Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP" but do not
    > see any plug-ins related to WMP in the folder "Mozilla Firefox/Plugins" .
    > I'm using Firefox 1.0.7.
    >
    > Any furhter suggestions you can give me?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > John <><

    Few of the plugin dll's are actually stored in the plugins directory. To
    see the definitive list of installed plugins, type about:plugings into
    the location bar.

    When I click on one of the links, Quick Time opens in the browser and
    plays the file immediately. I prefer QT to WMP for MP3's.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 20, 2005
  6. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:01:25 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    Thanks for getting back so promptly, Lee.

    >Few of the plugin dll's are actually stored in the plugins directory. To
    >see the definitive list of installed plugins, type about:plugings into
    >the location bar.

    I opened "abou:plugins" and was surprised at the number of plug-ins I have,
    including the ones for WMP.

    >When I click on one of the links, Quick Time opens in the browser and
    >plays the file immediately. I prefer QT to WMP for MP3's.

    Seems to me that, before I rebuilt my computer (wiped EVERYTHING and started
    from scrwatch), the same thing happened.

    I downloaded Quick Time, and did some "playing around" (with the computer, that
    is . . ).
    Now, accessing an MP3 file using Firefox, Quick Time opens it.
    Using MS-IE, WMP opens it.

    Not sure how I accomplished that, but it is just fine.

    Thanks for your help!

    Cheers!

    >Lee

    John <><
    John, Oct 20, 2005
  7. John <>< wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:01:25 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >

    > Thanks for getting back so promptly, Lee.
    >> Few of the plugin dll's are actually stored in the plugins directory. To
    >> see the definitive list of installed plugins, type about:plugings into
    >> the location bar.
    >>

    > I opened "abou:plugins" and was surprised at the number of plug-ins I have,
    > including the ones for WMP.
    >
    >> When I click on one of the links, Quick Time opens in the browser and
    >> plays the file immediately. I prefer QT to WMP for MP3's.

    > Seems to me that, before I rebuilt my computer (wiped EVERYTHING and started
    > from scrwatch), the same thing happened.
    >
    > I downloaded Quick Time, and did some "playing around" (with the computer, that
    > is . . ).
    > Now, accessing an MP3 file using Firefox, Quick Time opens it.
    > Using MS-IE, WMP opens it.
    >
    > Not sure how I accomplished that, but it is just fine.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Cheers!
    >> Lee

    > John <><