Recommended mac photo editing/managing software w/IPTC?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stilllearning, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. I've spent a lot of time reading on the group and elsewhere, and have
    yet to find a good source of information for the digital photo novice
    regarding best practices for photo editing and managing (some for my
    family photo scanning/archiving project).

    I am an advanced computer user, but relatively new to photo editing. My
    budget is flexible - my goal is just to have a photo/scanned photo
    (will be spending a lot of time scanning old family photos) editing
    software to clean up and edit the scans as needed, be able to tag files
    with additional information so they can easily be searched (IPTC I
    guess?), relatively easy to learn, and also somewhat flexible in term
    of future editing of the photos (which may be done on a PC). Work will
    be done on a new Intel Mac, and I have ample storage space available.
    Final output will be both printed books as well as DVDs for the
    family/friends (with audio tracks to provide commentary).

    What I am wondering is:
    1. When scanning in these images, do I use whatever software that comes
    with the scanner to simply get as close a reproduction as possible,
    then move quickly on to a separate software package for
    editing/cleaning up?
    2. Any recommendations on software that allows me to easily manage the
    pictures and tag them? I've read a bit about iView, Portfolio and
    Aperture but am not clear what is best for a non-professional but
    advanced computer user, or if some other package is. I know the Mac pro
    apps will be available in March so am willing to wait if that seems
    logical.
    3. Recommendation on software for editing. Again, this will largely be
    for very old photos scanned most likely into tiff format, and also for
    digital photos. Preferred something that is easy to use (not being a
    pro, I can't imagine I will get extremely deep into editing).
    4. Are there any other good sources of "best practices" regarding how
    to title, edit, save, etc, photos for large family projects? It would
    be great to have apps with easy interfaces so this project doesn't
    become overwhelming!
    This project is so large I really fear going down the wrong path and
    doing work that needs to be redone later on...

    Thanks so much in advance - greatly appreciated!
    stilllearning, Jan 25, 2006

  2. stilllearning

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    "stilllearning" <> wrote:

    > I've spent a lot of time reading on the group and elsewhere, and have
    > yet to find a good source of information for the digital photo novice
    > regarding best practices for photo editing and managing (some for my
    > family photo scanning/archiving project).
    >
    > I am an advanced computer user, but relatively new to photo editing. My
    > budget is flexible - my goal is just to have a photo/scanned photo
    > (will be spending a lot of time scanning old family photos) editing
    > software to clean up and edit the scans as needed, be able to tag files
    > with additional information so they can easily be searched (IPTC I
    > guess?), relatively easy to learn, and also somewhat flexible in term
    > of future editing of the photos (which may be done on a PC). Work will
    > be done on a new Intel Mac, and I have ample storage space available.
    > Final output will be both printed books as well as DVDs for the
    > family/friends (with audio tracks to provide commentary).
    >
    > What I am wondering is:
    > 1. When scanning in these images, do I use whatever software that comes
    > with the scanner to simply get as close a reproduction as possible,
    > then move quickly on to a separate software package for
    > editing/cleaning up?
    > 2. Any recommendations on software that allows me to easily manage the
    > pictures and tag them? I've read a bit about iView, Portfolio and
    > Aperture but am not clear what is best for a non-professional but
    > advanced computer user, or if some other package is. I know the Mac pro
    > apps will be available in March so am willing to wait if that seems
    > logical.
    > 3. Recommendation on software for editing. Again, this will largely be
    > for very old photos scanned most likely into tiff format, and also for
    > digital photos. Preferred something that is easy to use (not being a
    > pro, I can't imagine I will get extremely deep into editing).
    > 4. Are there any other good sources of "best practices" regarding how
    > to title, edit, save, etc, photos for large family projects? It would
    > be great to have apps with easy interfaces so this project doesn't
    > become overwhelming!
    > This project is so large I really fear going down the wrong path and
    > doing work that needs to be redone later on...
    >
    > Thanks so much in advance - greatly appreciated!

    Why not try iPhoto 6 if you're a Mac user?
    Shawn Hirn, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "stilllearning" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I've spent a lot of time reading on the group and elsewhere, and have
    >>yet to find a good source of information for the digital photo novice
    >>regarding best practices for photo editing and managing (some for my
    >>family photo scanning/archiving project).
    >>
    >>I am an advanced computer user, but relatively new to photo editing. My
    >>budget is flexible - my goal is just to have a photo/scanned photo
    >>(will be spending a lot of time scanning old family photos) editing
    >>software to clean up and edit the scans as needed, be able to tag files
    >>with additional information so they can easily be searched (IPTC I
    >>guess?), relatively easy to learn, and also somewhat flexible in term
    >>of future editing of the photos (which may be done on a PC). Work will
    >>be done on a new Intel Mac, and I have ample storage space available.
    >>Final output will be both printed books as well as DVDs for the
    >>family/friends (with audio tracks to provide commentary).

    << Snipped bits out >>

    > Why not try iPhoto 6 if you're a Mac user?

    Photoshop Elements comes to mind as well, and is always a plus
    if/when/as you want to move up to Photoshop.

    However, I think I'd concentrate on the scanner and software available
    for the scanning process..... about which I know precious little, but
    why not post your scanner info, so that someone who knows can help more
    specifically?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jan 25, 2006
  4. I have been using iPhoto in the past, but didn't think it allowed me to
    tag photos with information that would stay with the photo if
    transferred to a different machine, or PC (maybe I have that wrong, but
    I didn't think it supported IPTC). I am hoping to keep whatever work I
    do flexible enough to share with others to take over pieces on a PC or
    another Mac. Perhaps iPhoto 6 is fine for this, however?

    The scanner is a Epson 10000XL (large format).
    stilllearning, Jan 26, 2006
  5. stilllearning wrote:
    > I have been using iPhoto in the past, but didn't think it allowed me to
    > tag photos with information that would stay with the photo if
    > transferred to a different machine, or PC (maybe I have that wrong, but
    > I didn't think it supported IPTC). I am hoping to keep whatever work I
    > do flexible enough to share with others to take over pieces on a PC or
    > another Mac. Perhaps iPhoto 6 is fine for this, however?
    >
    > The scanner is a Epson 10000XL (large format).

    What came with it? ie. do you have digital ice?

    As to iPhoto, I don't have version 6. V 5 lets you put in ratings and
    comments, but I didn't see IPTC entries, but I didn't look hard, and I
    don't use iPhoto a lot.

    --
    John Mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jan 26, 2006
  6. The Epson didn't come with Digital ICE - only with scanning software,
    Adobe Elements 2.0, and Monaco software.
    stilllearning, Jan 26, 2006
  7. stilllearning

    bmoag Guest

    Despite Apple tv ads to the contrary regardless of what CPU is in the box
    Apple productivity software choices are very limited compared to Windows
    packages.
    There is nothing that is not Mac-centric you can do on a Mac that you cannot
    do on a Windows machine and much that you can do easily on Windows machines
    that no comparable software exists for on the Mac: like run a business.
    Software will be even more limited for the new Mac/Intel as the new x86
    MacOS is not backwardly compatible with MacLinux which was not backwardly
    compatible with prior MacOS iterations. Kludges don't count.
    The contempt of Apple for its user base and the willingness of the user base
    to be abused is the most amazing aspect of the Apple computer saga.
    I would strongly recommend you invest in Adobe Photoshop and learn how to
    use it as the best all round solution for the Mac platform.
    However you will have to wait until Adobe actually releases a version of
    Photoshop that is assured to be compatible with the new MacIntel platform.
    Not to mention printer and scanner drivers, color calibration
    hardware/software etc.
    Apple has announced its clone of Photoshop, which presumably will be
    compatible with the new OS, but if you are not familiar with digital image
    processing this is not likely a good choice.
    Again there is that pesky problem of drivers for the peripherals you
    already have for which no new Mactel vcrsions may become available even if
    you buy the MacPhotoshop clone.
    If you have not already succumbed to the siren lure of the Mactel box
    perhaps it is not too late to make a more rational choice of computer
    platforms: there will be more software choices that may be more appealing to
    you.
    bmoag, Jan 27, 2006
  8. so, to summarize: adobe photoshop.
    stilllearning, Jan 27, 2006
  9. stilllearning

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:09:04 +0000, bmoag wrote:

    > Despite Apple tv ads to the contrary regardless of what CPU is in the box
    > Apple productivity software choices are very limited compared to Windows
    > packages.
    > There is nothing that is not Mac-centric you can do on a Mac that you cannot
    > do on a Windows machine and much that you can do easily on Windows machines
    > that no comparable software exists for on the Mac: like run a business.
    > Software will be even more limited for the new Mac/Intel as the new x86
    > MacOS is not backwardly compatible with MacLinux which was not backwardly
    > compatible with prior MacOS iterations. Kludges don't count.
    > The contempt of Apple for its user base and the willingness of the user base
    > to be abused is the most amazing aspect of the Apple computer saga.
    > I would strongly recommend you invest in Adobe Photoshop and learn how to
    > use it as the best all round solution for the Mac platform.
    > However you will have to wait until Adobe actually releases a version of
    > Photoshop that is assured to be compatible with the new MacIntel platform.
    > Not to mention printer and scanner drivers, color calibration
    > hardware/software etc.
    > Apple has announced its clone of Photoshop, which presumably will be
    > compatible with the new OS, but if you are not familiar with digital image
    > processing this is not likely a good choice.
    > Again there is that pesky problem of drivers for the peripherals you
    > already have for which no new Mactel vcrsions may become available even if
    > you buy the MacPhotoshop clone.
    > If you have not already succumbed to the siren lure of the Mactel box
    > perhaps it is not too late to make a more rational choice of computer
    > platforms: there will be more software choices that may be more appealing to
    > you.

    Try running win 3.1 progs on win xp.
    --
    Neil
    Delete l to reply
    Neil Ellwood, Jan 27, 2006
  10. stilllearning

    rafe b Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:15:40 +0000 (UTC), Neil Ellwood
    <> wrote:

    >Try running win 3.1 progs on win xp.

    Is there a problem? Not to my knowledge.

    They can't take full advantage of XP/NT
    features, but they still work fine.

    PFE, for example, or MathCad.

    The ones that won't work are the ones