    the lens from my old analog EOS 500?

    Thanks!
    Markus
    Andreas Schmidt, May 11, 2005

  2. Andreas Schmidt

    Paul Furman Guest

    Andreas Schmidt wrote:

    > I am an amateur photographer and I used the analog Canon EOS 500 for a long
    > time until I got my first digital camera (a really bulky and slow Fujifilm
    > camera).

    Fuji has some good stuff now. Don't discount them.

    > Now I want to get a digital camera that's just as good as my old EOS 500.

    Technically speaking, you may need to sped $4,000.00 or more for "as
    good as film" but any of the DSLRs will be plenty close enough & much
    better in other ways depending how you define it.

    > The following features would be important:
    >
    > * fast

    Rebel 300 is a bit slower than a D70 but not much.

    > * adjustable aperture, shutter speed

    All will have this.

    > * not too heavy or bulky

    Rebel 350 is smaller, Nikon 50 too I think but not quite available yet I
    think.

    > * good optical zoom

    This depends entirely on the lens you get. All the kit lenses are
    similar, I got a 28-200 with my D70 which is a huge range, Canon
    probably has something similar but it lacks the wide angle of the kit
    lenses. I don't know of anything good and wide with more telephoto.

    > If I buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel model, I can use the old lens from my
    > Canon EOS 500, right?

    Tell us the exact name of that lens with all the numbers and letters
    written on it, for example: "Tamron 28-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 CF Macro"

    > That would be great because I saw a special offer for the Canon EOS 6.3MP
    > Digital Rebel (Body Only) on amazon (46% off).

    Probably doesn't include battery & other standard things or it's
    used/reconditioned. Check B&H or Adorama for real pricing.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1
    Paul Furman, May 11, 2005

  3. Andreas Schmidt

    GT Guest

    "Andreas Schmidt" <> wrote in message
    >I am an amateur photographer and I used the analog Canon EOS 500 for a long
    > time until I got my first digital camera (a really bulky and slow Fujifilm
    > camera).

    Any new canon EOS body will have at least all of the features of your EOS
    500.

    > If I buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel model, I can use the old lens from my
    > Canon EOS 500, right?

    Possible, but maybe not. The EOS 300d has a newer fitting to accomodate the
    digital lenses. Older lenses will physically fit the camera, but the
    electronics has been updated, so your lens may need to be re-chipped. I may
    be wrong, but I think canon lenses are OK and others (if more than a couple
    of years old) will need re-chipped. Also, due to the digital sensor being
    smaller than 35mm film, the 300d has a cropping factor of 1.6x, so 'normal'
    lenses are multiplied by 1.6 (e.g. 28-80mm becomes 45-128mm)

    > That would be great because I saw a special offer for the Canon EOS 6.3MP
    > Digital Rebel (Body Only) on amazon (46% off). So, can I buy it and use
    > the lens from my old analog EOS 500?

    You will find lots of deals on the digital rebel (or 300d) because canon
    have released a newer model to replace it - the 8MP 350d (I think its called
    rebel XT in the USA). I notice you have selected a body only offer there -
    you might be better to consider a package with the lens kit as you will
    probably miss the wider angle lens (assuming your old lens works and starts
    at 28mm, it will now start at 45mm)

    x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
    GT, May 11, 2005
  4. Andreas Schmidt

    eatmorepies Guest

    > If I buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel model, I can use the old lens from my
    > Canon EOS 500, right?
    >
    > That would be great because I saw a special offer for the Canon EOS 6.3MP
    > Digital Rebel (Body Only) on amazon (46% off). So, can I buy it and use
    > the lens from my old analog EOS 500?

    The 350D is excellent and discounts are begining to appear. You may well be
    able to use your old lens, is it an EF model?

    I suggest it's worthing paying extra for the better specified 350D than for
    the outgoing 300D. You will probably have the camera for some years and if
    you think about the cost of ownership per week, it probably doesn't amount
    to much difference. Also, the extra cost of the kit lens is not much and it
    makes a useful wide angle lens - which the one from your EOS 500 will not.
    Canon have a massive range of lenses for you to choose from when you have
    owned a DSLR for a time and have thought about what you want from the
    camera. (And as I tell everyone who will listen, save up for the L series).

    I can't comment on Pentax or Nikon as I have no experience of them.

    John
    eatmorepies, May 11, 2005
  5. Andreas Schmidt

    eatmorepies Guest

    > > Now I want to get a digital camera that's just as good as my old EOS

    500.

    > Technically speaking, you may need to sped $4,000.00 or more for "as
    > good as film" but any of the DSLRs will be plenty close enough & much
    > better in other ways depending how you define it.

    I've had this discussion before. If you don't do any dot per inch
    calculations but simply look at the results, then the 350D knocks ordinary
    film results into next week. I know there are special (slow) emulsions and
    transparencies but my film camera with stock 200 ISO film produces decent
    but not stunning 10x8.

    Last weekend I stuck my new L series zoom on the front of my 350D, dialed
    200 ISO and took some hand held snaps (in RAW) at 200mm - mostly at f2.8. I
    converted them to TIFF, fiddled a bit with levels (on some of them) and
    printed them on my cheap R200 Epson. The results are fantastic. A committed
    film user I work with could not believe they had come out of a small sensor
    digital SLR. He equated them with prints from his medium format film camera.

    Now I know the lens makes a big difference, but what it does is to allow the
    sensor to show what it's capable of. I took some snaps in a chapel on ISO
    1600, grain? What grain? I haven't been in film photography for some time
    but can you get 1600 ISO film will barely noticable grain? And at no point
    have I had to mess about with chemicals.

    The only thing I miss is the excitement of watching a B&W print appearing in
    the dev. tray.

    I would, of course, defend, almost to the death, your right to use and
    champion film. In a way I feel a little sad that it has had it's day and
    that I will probably never get a chance to use an expensive medium format
    that I lusted after when I couldn't afford it and don't want now I can.

    John
    eatmorepies, May 11, 2005