Recommended Digital Camera ... Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Freddy, May 9, 2005.

  1. Freddy

    Freddy Guest

    Hi,

    I am considering buying a new digital camera...before doing that I want
    to ask this question to the people here:

    What do you recommend?

    what is the best "affordable" digital camera on the market...something
    that includes optical zooming as well...

    I'm looking for best picture quality (not necessarily high MP
    resolutions)...but good quality and sharpness...as well as stability
    when taking pictures...so the pics don't come out very shaky...

    I know it's hard to post such a question...

    but what do you think I should buy...

    I am looking for a good camera in the range of (less than US$ 350)

    Thank you...

    Freddy, May 9, 2005

  2. Freddy

    Marvin Guest

    Freddy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am considering buying a new digital camera...before doing that I want
    > to ask this question to the people here:
    >
    > What do you recommend?
    >
    > what is the best "affordable" digital camera on the market...something
    > that includes optical zooming as well...
    >
    > I'm looking for best picture quality (not necessarily high MP
    > resolutions)...but good quality and sharpness...as well as stability
    > when taking pictures...so the pics don't come out very shaky...
    >
    > I know it's hard to post such a question...
    >
    > but what do you think I should buy...
    >
    > I am looking for a good camera in the range of (less than US$ 350)
    >
    > Thank you...

    Read the camera info at www.dpreview.com. You'll get better advice here after you narrow
    down your choices to a few makes/models. And when you do that, tell us more about what
    you will use the camera for.

    Marvin, May 9, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    "Freddy" <> wrote:

    > I am considering buying a new digital camera...before doing that I want
    > to ask this question to the people here:
    >
    > What do you recommend?

    Freddy-

    Your request reminds me of the youngster who goes into the hobby shop,
    collects a pile of goodies in a shopping cart and proceeds to unload them
    onto the checkout counter. He says to the cashier, "Stop when you get to
    a dollar"!

    You are likely to get as many opinions as you get responses. My
    suggestion: Get the best Olympus you can afford. Go for 3X optical
    zoom. (Is the Olympus 6080 in your price range? It takes outstanding
    pictures.)

    You are not likely to get any significant stability improvement in your
    price range. Therefore, you want a camera with a lens that has a wide
    aperture and a capability for high ISO rating. With only 3X zoom, you
    minimize the problem of amplified camera shake with long focal length
    lenses.

    Remember that whatever is the "best" today will be obsolete tomorrow. In
    a couple of years you are likely to want a camera with some newer feature
    or capability that isn't available today. At that time, you will have two
    years more experience on which to base your next purchase decision.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, May 9, 2005
  4. Freddy

    Freddy Guest

    Fred,

    Thank you for your reply,

    and yes..lol..I am like a kid in a candy store...you're right about
    that...

    But I also have a question...I owned a Canon A60..and it was a good
    camera...but what do you think about the Canon S1 IS...I guess it
    should be a good camera...but do you know its down sides???
    there is also the Canon A510...

    what about the olympus D-75...it's also a 3.2 MP with a 3X optical
    zoom.

    as I'm not sure which camera I'm going to buy...I just wanted to take
    an opinion here to see some down sides of certain cameras...

    Hope you can help...

    Freddy

    Freddy, May 10, 2005
  5. Freddy

    Freddy Guest

    Sorry .... it's the Olympus D-575

    Thank you

    Freddy

    Freddy, May 10, 2005
  6. Freddy

    Renee Guest

    "Freddy" <> wrote in message

    > ...but what do you think about the Canon S1 IS...I guess it
    > should be a good camera...but do you know its down sides???

    > Freddy

    The extent to which one considers the following as *serious* flaws depends
    on the person. They don't bother me -- see http://photofan.multiply.com for
    samples. For the price and features I was after, it is still the perfect
    camera for me.

    - Noise level above ISO 200
    - Level of chromatic aberration under certain conditions
    - Lack of low light AF lamp

    Sounds like you've narrowed your choices down to three cameras. If you're
    still uncertain, check out some of the links on my home page.

    Renee

    Renee, May 11, 2005
  7. Freddy

    Freddy Guest

    Thank you Renee,

    So I don't sound "ignorant"...you used many technical words that I have
    no idea about and I guess most of the digital camera users have no idea
    about...I just asked for a simple opinion ... I didn't want to go
    research terms like "noise level", "chromatic aberration" and "lack of
    low light AF lamp"...

    once again...thank you for posting and I find your site
    interesting...but I wanted an opinion that a beginner can understand..

    Thanks again,

    Freddy

    Freddy, May 12, 2005
  8. Freddy

    Renee Guest

    "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you Renee,
    >
    > So I don't sound "ignorant"...you used many technical words that I have
    > no idea about and I guess most of the digital camera users have no idea
    > about...I just asked for a simple opinion ... I didn't want to go
    > research terms like "noise level", "chromatic aberration" and "lack of
    > low light AF lamp"...
    >
    > once again...thank you for posting and I find your site
    > interesting...but I wanted an opinion that a beginner can understand..
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Freddy

    Freddy, I'm replying to this not to be confrontational, but rather to be
    helpful to other beginners who might see this.

    More often than not, by the time someone has narrowed their short list to
    three or so cameras, they've done the leg work that comes before it. That
    includes learning or wanting to learn some basic digital camera terms.

    You asked for the downsides of the S1 IS and I gave you a short, precise,
    honest answer. Noise, Chromatic Aberration, and Low Light Auto-Focus Assist
    Lamp are not really advanced terms. They are basic digital camera terms that
    anyone in the market for a digicam should be familiar with. They are
    important elements when judging a camera's performance under a variety of
    conditions, and determining how these factors weigh upon a person's final
    choice.

    As I said, I gave you a short but accurate answer in my first reply. If I
    had provided an explanation of what these terms mean in that message, it
    would have gone on and on and I'm sure no one would have wanted to read it.
    Not only that, you would have been insulted if you knew what they meant
    already and I posted an explanation presuming that you didn't.

    There's more to picking out a camera than just getting enough yea or nays on
    it. Even beginners need to do their homework in order to make a truly
    informed purchasing decision. If you or anyone else don't want to look up
    what those terms mean, someone might be kind enough to provide an
    explanation if simply asked.

    Just the same, you're welcome.

    Renee

    Renee, May 12, 2005
  9. Freddy

    Paul Furman Guest

    Freddy wrote:

    > Thank you Renee,
    >
    > So I don't sound "ignorant"...you used many technical words that I have
    > no idea about and I guess most of the digital camera users have no idea
    > about...I just asked for a simple opinion ... I didn't want to go
    > research terms like

    >"noise level",

    Like grain on film, grittiness when making adjustments to shoot in low
    light.

    >"chromatic aberration"

    Rainbow fringes in high contrast scenses like branches against a bright
    sky, indicates a not-too-fancy lens or a lens trying to cover too broad
    a zoom range.

    >"lack of low light AF lamp"

    A flashlight that beams out to assist the autofocus in low light.
    Without this, the camera is unable to focus and may even refuse to take
    a picture at all.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 13, 2005
  10. Freddy

    DHB Guest

    On 10 May 2005 07:15:23 -0700, "Freddy" <> wrote:

    >Fred,
    >
    >Thank you for your reply,
    >
    >and yes..lol..I am like a kid in a candy store...you're right about
    >that...
    >
    >But I also have a question...I owned a Canon A60..and it was a good
    >camera...but what do you think about the Canon S1 IS...I guess it
    >should be a good camera...but do you know its down sides???
    >there is also the Canon A510...
    >
    >what about the olympus D-75...it's also a 3.2 MP with a 3X optical
    >zoom.
    >
    >as I'm not sure which camera I'm going to buy...I just wanted to take
    >an opinion here to see some down sides of certain cameras...
    >
    >Hope you can help...
    >
    >Freddy

    Freddy,
    if you owned & liked the A60 (2MP) camera, is there some
    reason not to consider the A95 (5MP) which can now be had for about
    $260.00 US in many reputable on-line retailers such as B&H?

    It's just a consideration, all things considered I think it's
    a very good little camera with a lot of features.

    Good luck, hope you find what you want.

    Respectfully, DHB

    ..
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, May 13, 2005
  11. Freddy

    Freddy Guest

    Renee,

    In no means I intended that my message be understood in such a way...
    Nor I am going to feel insulted...

    I deeply appreciate your honest and prompt answer...and it is very
    valuable...I was just reporting that I didn't understand such
    terms...and yes you're right I should have researched them...but
    well...

    when I started the thread to be honest I thought I might get some "yea
    and nays"...

    Once again..thank you for your reply...and it seems some people
    explained what they mean...thanks again..

    Freddy

    Freddy, May 13, 2005
  12. Freddy

    Renee Guest

    "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    > Renee,
    >
    > In no means I intended that my message be understood in such a way...
    > Nor I am going to feel insulted...
    >
    > I deeply appreciate your honest and prompt answer...and it is very
    > valuable...I was just reporting that I didn't understand such
    > terms...and yes you're right I should have researched them...but
    > well...
    >
    > when I started the thread to be honest I thought I might get some "yea
    > and nays"...
    >
    > Once again..thank you for your reply...and it seems some people
    > explained what they mean...thanks again..
    >
    > Freddy

    Not a problem and you're welcome, Freddy.

    Actually, I didn't meant to make it sound like I was telling you to look it
    up yourself. I mistakenly thought that the tone of your message was more
    like scolding me for having used such terms, and less like wanting to know
    what those terms meant. So things got goofed. Anyway, it's ok and I'm glad
    we're past that now. :)

    I only have a year's head start on you with these things so I still rank as
    a beginner, too. I grew up with an instamatic 126 and about 15 years ago
    graduated to a 135 APS instamatic. Thought *that* was progress. With
    (relatively) little digicam experience, most of the time my contributions to
    this ng are simply regurgitating what others have already said here or I've
    read somewhere else. But I do have my opinions, and regardless of how a more
    critical eye might view things, I give my camera a two thumbs up -- for me.
    I researched the shortcomings of this camera beforehand and thought it
    wouldn't be a much of problem with the way I'd mostly be using my camera. I
    was right. I'm pleased with my camera and photos, that's all that's
    important to me.

    Renee

    Renee, May 14, 2005
  13. Freddy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Renee wrote:
    > "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Renee,
    >>
    >>In no means I intended that my message be understood in such a way...
    >>Nor I am going to feel insulted...
    >>
    >>I deeply appreciate your honest and prompt answer...and it is very
    >>valuable...I was just reporting that I didn't understand such
    >>terms...and yes you're right I should have researched them...but
    >>well...
    >>
    >>when I started the thread to be honest I thought I might get some "yea
    >>and nays"...
    >>
    >>Once again..thank you for your reply...and it seems some people
    >>explained what they mean...thanks again..
    >>
    >>Freddy
    >>

    > Not a problem and you're welcome, Freddy.
    >
    > Actually, I didn't meant to make it sound like I was telling you to look it
    > up yourself. I mistakenly thought that the tone of your message was more
    > like scolding me for having used such terms, and less like wanting to know
    > what those terms meant. So things got goofed. Anyway, it's ok and I'm glad
    > we're past that now. :)
    >
    > I only have a year's head start on you with these things so I still rank as
    > a beginner, too. I grew up with an instamatic 126 and about 15 years ago
    > graduated to a 135 APS instamatic. Thought *that* was progress. With
    > (relatively) little digicam experience, most of the time my contributions to
    > this ng are simply regurgitating what others have already said here or I've
    > read somewhere else. But I do have my opinions, and regardless of how a more
    > critical eye might view things, I give my camera a two thumbs up -- for me.
    > I researched the shortcomings of this camera beforehand and thought it
    > wouldn't be a much of problem with the way I'd mostly be using my camera. I
    > was right. I'm pleased with my camera and photos, that's all that's
    > important to me.
    >
    > Renee

    Except for occasional red-eye. Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 14, 2005
  14. Freddy

    Renee Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Renee wrote:
    >>I'm pleased with my camera and photos, that's all that's important to me.
    >>
    >> Renee

    > Except for occasional red-eye. Grin.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    Well I can't argue that. Though I do derive a perverse kind of pleasure in
    showing those off sometimes, too. :-}

    I know -- I'll never make it to the pro level with an attitude like that.
    heh heh

    Renee

    Renee, May 14, 2005