Recommended digital camera for around £150 ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andy100, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Andy100

    Andy100 Guest

    I know this must have been asked millions of times, but i am a fairly newbie
    to digital cameras and thought someone with a better understanding could
    help out here.

    I had a Fuji Finepix 2400Zoom which was OK, until it got liquid corrosion
    damage from being dropped in the sea, it's not so good now. Dixons wrote it
    off and have sent me £100 in vouchers. I was just wondering which camera
    people here recommend (in the £100 to £150, £200 max bracket) ?

    These are the things i would like:
    1. At least 3mpixels
    2. Decent Optical Zoom (at least 3X)
    3. Continuous shoot (although not vital)
    4. Nice picture quality (obviously) - don't want the jpg compression to be
    too noticable, or have too much in the way of 'jaggies' or whatever it's
    called.
    5. LCD screen.
    6 Manual overrides would be a great bonus, but not vital (ISO, Exposure,
    shutter speed etc).

    That's pretty much it, i have searched the net for reviews and got inundated
    with varying reviews about a few. I had been looking at the Olympus 3mp /
    4mp cameras, but have had no experience with them and don't know what
    they're like.

    Thanks in advance for any help

    Cheers
    Andy
    Andy100, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Andy100

    chris French Guest

    In message <cfbfer$kps$>, Andy100
    <> writes
    > I was just wondering which camera
    >people here recommend (in the £100 to £150, £200 max bracket) ?

    I really like my Canon A80 - was a tad under GBP200 about a month or so
    ago.

    >These are the things i would like:
    >1. At least 3mpixels

    Yep - 4mp

    >2. Decent Optical Zoom (at least 3X)

    3x - you really need to decide if you want much more, to get more at
    this price something else has to give.

    >3. Continuous shoot (although not vital)

    Well, near as damn continuos - until the frame buffer fills up - about 6
    or so shots I think for me
    >4. Nice picture quality (obviously) - don't want the jpg compression to be
    >too noticable, or have too much in the way of 'jaggies' or whatever it's
    >called.

    Good images - I use largest resolution and lowest amount of compression.

    >5. LCD screen.

    Yep - a bit smaller at 1.5 inches than some, but I don't find it an
    issue really, and I have found the adjustable screen very useful.

    >6 Manual overrides would be a great bonus, but not vital (ISO, Exposure,
    >shutter speed etc).

    Yep, full manual control, as well as Auto, program and various 'modes',
    I find the 2 custom settings useful for keeping common presets.

    >That's pretty much it, i have searched the net for reviews and got inundated
    >with varying reviews about a few. I had been looking at the Olympus 3mp /
    >4mp cameras, but have had no experience with them and don't know what
    >they're like.

    I was reading an article a while back about having too much choice -
    that many people now end up not making a choice about something because
    there is so much, and so much info available - they worry about making
    the 'wrong' choice and not getting 'the best' and end up making none.

    I reckon, most cameras now are decent cameras certainly from the well
    known brands - one is better at one thing but worse at another. Often in
    reviews, differences are really down to small minor differences in
    features, or performance.

    Other things like about the A80:

    good battery life with 4 NiMH AA

    God handling - nice size to handle - though not shirt pocket size - and
    I don't really like the zoom control. Good controls, good easy to use
    menu system

    --
    Chris French
    chris French, Aug 11, 2004