    "Internet speed monitor" is, of course, often a synonym for
    "spyware/adware", but does anyone know of a good "clean" one?

    Steve B.
    Steve B, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Steve B

    Enkidu Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > I'm looking for a tool that will monitor the actual speed of traffic
    > coming and going over the internet, and give me a running graphic
    > display, preferably with a moving figure for the average speed so far
    > in a session.
    >
    > "Internet speed monitor" is, of course, often a synonym for
    > "spyware/adware", but does anyone know of a good "clean" one?

    The speed of the packets will be the same all the time. What might and
    probably will change will be the rate at which you can transfer data to
    a site on the Internet.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jan 3, 2008

  3. I use cFos
    Whalemeat is Yummy, Jan 3, 2008
  4. Steve B wrote:
    > I'm looking for a tool that will monitor the actual speed of traffic
    > coming and going over the internet, and give me a running graphic
    > display, preferably with a moving figure for the average speed so far
    > in a session.
    >
    > "Internet speed monitor" is, of course, often a synonym for
    > "spyware/adware", but does anyone know of a good "clean" one?
    >
    > Steve B.

    If it's for a single PC only (i.e. not monitoring a LAN gateway) I
    recommend Netmeter.
    Freeware, small footprint, keeps traffic stats & estimates usage with
    warnings of approaching monthly cap etc. NO 'addons' :)

    http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/
    dilberts_left_nut, Jan 3, 2008
  5. On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:33:47 +1300, Steve B
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a tool that will monitor the actual speed of traffic
    >coming and going over the internet, and give me a running graphic
    >display, preferably with a moving figure for the average speed so far
    >in a session.
    >
    >"Internet speed monitor" is, of course, often a synonym for
    >"spyware/adware", but does anyone know of a good "clean" one?
    >
    >Steve B.

    I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but I
    sure wouldn't mind one:

    http://tinyurl.com/2hwdo2

    --
    greig
    Greig Blanchett, Jan 4, 2008
  6. Steve B

    John Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:42:04 +1300, dilberts_left_nut <not@home> wrote:

    > Steve B wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a tool that will monitor the actual speed of traffic
    >> coming and going over the internet, and give me a running graphic
    >> display, preferably with a moving figure for the average speed so far
    >> in a session.
    >> "Internet speed monitor" is, of course, often a synonym for
    >> "spyware/adware", but does anyone know of a good "clean" one?
    >> Steve B.

    > If it's for a single PC only (i.e. not monitoring a LAN gateway) I
    > recommend Netmeter.
    > Freeware, small footprint, keeps traffic stats & estimates usage with
    > warnings of approaching monthly cap etc. NO 'addons' :)
    >
    > http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

    Netmeter's good. Another good one is Netlimiter Monitor.

    --
    cheers
    John, Jan 4, 2008
  7. Steve B

    no Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:33:47 +1300, Steve B <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a tool that will monitor the actual speed of traffic
    >coming and going over the internet, and give me a running graphic
    >display, preferably with a moving figure for the average speed so far
    >in a session.
    >
    >"Internet speed monitor" is, of course, often a synonym for
    >"spyware/adware", but does anyone know of a good "clean" one?
    >
    >Steve B.

    NetStat Live

    This one is GREAT but don't know if it works under VISTA..

    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

    Click on the Pic to get a larger one, has it all that you need..
    no , Jan 4, 2008
  8. Steve B

    Dave Taylor Guest

    dilberts_left_nut <not@home> wrote in news:477d6506$:

    > If it's for a single PC only (i.e. not monitoring a LAN gateway) I
    > recommend Netmeter.
    > Freeware, small footprint, keeps traffic stats & estimates usage with
    > warnings of approaching monthly cap etc. NO 'addons' :)
    >
    > http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

    Me Too, this tool rocks.

    --
    Ciao, Dave