    setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in the
    I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    Matt Ion, Nov 9, 2007

  2. Matt Ion wrote:
    > We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    > setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    > valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in
    > the I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    My favourite place is Kenmore Cameras (http://www.kcamera.com/) next to
    HW-522 in Kenmore, about 20 miles NE of Seattle at the top end of Lake
    Washington.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 9, 2007

  3. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >> We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    >> setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    >> valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in
    >> the I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    > My favourite place is Kenmore Cameras (http://www.kcamera.com/) next to
    > HW-522 in Kenmore, about 20 miles NE of Seattle at the top end of Lake
    > Washington.

    Thanks, we'll give that a look...

    Matt Ion, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Matt Ion

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-11-08 20:22:06 -0800, Matt Ion <> said:

    > We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    > setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    > valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in the
    > I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    Glazer's Camera Supply is good and has a wide inventory, although
    sometimes it seems like you are invisible to their staff. Be assertive.

    I have not been to Kenmore, but I hear the people are nice.
    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor

    C J Campbell, Nov 9, 2007
  5. Matt Ion

    Cynicor Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:
    > On 2007-11-08 20:22:06 -0800, Matt Ion <> said:
    >
    >> We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    >> setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    >> valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in
    >> the I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    > Glazer's Camera Supply is good and has a wide inventory, although
    > sometimes it seems like you are invisible to their staff. Be assertive.
    >
    > I have not been to Kenmore, but I hear the people are nice.

    I've used Glazer's a couple of times. They do have a lot of stuff, plus
    some used stuff. It feels like a really old camera store, too, like
    you're going to be able to pick up a tube of bellows oil there. Still
    smells filmy.

    Cynicor, Nov 9, 2007
  6. Matt Ion

    Allen Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >> We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    >> setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    >> valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in
    >> the I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    > My favourite place is Kenmore Cameras (http://www.kcamera.com/) next to
    > HW-522 in Kenmore, about 20 miles NE of Seattle at the top end of Lake
    > Washington.
    >
    > jue

    No recs for stores, but about your trip: Seattle, where my son lives, is
    one of the most photogenic places I've ever seen; unfortunately,
    mobility problems have kept me from traveling the past few years but my
    son and his family get down to Texas fairly often. One place that I hope
    you have a chance to get to is Deception Pass, which splits Whidbey
    Island in two, and was thought by early explorers to be a river; that
    area was first explored from the sea side, thus the confusion. Also, it
    shows a humorous side to the early explorers, with place names like
    Point Nopoint and Useless Bay. You will be there during the rainy
    season, but the misty conditions can make for some nice lighting
    effects. I don't know what part of Canada you live in, but I may be
    preaching to the choir; two very enjoyable side trips that I've taken
    from Seattle are to Vancouver (wonderful train ride) and to Victoria (by
    hydrofoil ferry). Enjoy!
    Allen

    Allen, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Matt Ion

    Cynicor Guest

    Allen wrote:
    > Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >> Matt Ion wrote:
    >>> We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    >>> setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    >>> valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in
    >>> the I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    >> My favourite place is Kenmore Cameras (http://www.kcamera.com/) next
    >> to HW-522 in Kenmore, about 20 miles NE of Seattle at the top end of
    >> Lake Washington.
    >>
    >> jue
    >>

    > No recs for stores, but about your trip: Seattle, where my son lives, is
    > one of the most photogenic places I've ever seen; unfortunately,
    > mobility problems have kept me from traveling the past few years but my
    > son and his family get down to Texas fairly often.

    If you want the best skyline shots, try going to Gasworks Park (bring a
    flashlight, it's pitch black at night):
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/popular/10/94807542#94807542-A-LB

    Kerry Park is the canonical skyline shot:
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/824709#36824797

    If you get a clear day, there's an amazing view of Rainier from Seward
    Park too: http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/824709#95607778

    Cynicor, Nov 9, 2007
  8. Cynicor wrote:

    > If you want the best skyline shots, try going to Gasworks Park (bring
    > a flashlight, it's pitch black at night):
    > http://trupin.smugmug.com/popular/10/94807542#94807542-A-LB

    Actually the tiny park off Highland Drive on the south side of Queen Anne
    gives you an even better view. Particularly amazing when the city is already
    dark and the lights are coming on while the snow cap of Mt Rainier in the
    background is still hit by the sun and glowing in a deep pink.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 9, 2007
  9. Matt Ion

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Cynicor <> wrote:

    > C J Campbell wrote:
    > > On 2007-11-08 20:22:06 -0800, Matt Ion <> said:
    > >
    > >> We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    > >> setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    > >> valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in
    > >> the I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    > > Glazer's Camera Supply is good and has a wide inventory, although
    > > sometimes it seems like you are invisible to their staff. Be assertive.
    > >
    > > I have not been to Kenmore, but I hear the people are nice.

    > I've used Glazer's a couple of times. They do have a lot of stuff, plus
    > some used stuff. It feels like a really old camera store, too, like
    > you're going to be able to pick up a tube of bellows oil there. Still
    > smells filmy.

    Glazer's used to actually have a separate 'digital' store across the
    street. Now they've integrated into one. Also, next door is Ivey, which
    is pretty much the place in Seattle for serious film processing and
    printing.

    If you're a browser... There is one camera store which is a must-see.
    It's Jim's Used Cameras in the University district.

    Furthermore, if you're making it as far as Portland, you want to cross
    the threshhold of Blue Moon Camera And Machine.

    --
    http://groups.google.com/group/seattle.general/msg/fa780efda9a6edb4

    Paul Mitchum, Nov 9, 2007
  10. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:
    > Cynicor <> wrote:
    >
    >> C J Campbell wrote:

    >>> Glazer's Camera Supply is good and has a wide inventory, although
    >>> sometimes it seems like you are invisible to their staff. Be assertive.
    >>>
    >>> I have not been to Kenmore, but I hear the people are nice.

    >> I've used Glazer's a couple of times. They do have a lot of stuff, plus
    >> some used stuff. It feels like a really old camera store, too, like
    >> you're going to be able to pick up a tube of bellows oil there. Still
    >> smells filmy.

    > Glazer's used to actually have a separate 'digital' store across the
    > street. Now they've integrated into one. Also, next door is Ivey, which
    > is pretty much the place in Seattle for serious film processing and
    > printing.

    Yeah, Glazer's was suggested to me by someone else, too. Sounds like a
    must-stop :)

    > If you're a browser... There is one camera store which is a must-see.
    > It's Jim's Used Cameras in the University district.

    Also noted, thanks.

    > Furthermore, if you're making it as far as Portland, you want to cross
    > the threshhold of Blue Moon Camera And Machine.

    Nope, only going to Seattle - dropping the wife off at the Amtrack station.

    Matt Ion, Nov 10, 2007
  11. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:

    >> If you want the best skyline shots, try going to Gasworks Park (bring
    >> a flashlight, it's pitch black at night):
    >> http://trupin.smugmug.com/popular/10/94807542#94807542-A-LB

    > Actually the tiny park off Highland Drive on the south side of Queen Anne
    > gives you an even better view. Particularly amazing when the city is already
    > dark and the lights are coming on while the snow cap of Mt Rainier in the
    > background is still hit by the sun and glowing in a deep pink.

    Thanks for the sightseeing suggestions, too - I think I've done
    Chuckanut Drive to death :) Granted, I'm a little spoiled on scenery,
    living in the Vancouver area, but at least it's a change of pace ;)

    Matt Ion, Nov 10, 2007
  12. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:
    > On 2007-11-08 20:22:06 -0800, Matt Ion <> said:
    >
    >> We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    >> setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    >> valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in
    >> the I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    > Glazer's Camera Supply is good and has a wide inventory, although
    > sometimes it seems like you are invisible to their staff. Be assertive.
    >
    > I have not been to Kenmore, but I hear the people are nice.

    Well, we ended up at Glazer's... my buddy (D) didn't have any problem
    getting someone's attention (once we'd made one trip around the store
    and he finally stopped in front of the Nikon display case), although the
    first guy (I didn't get his name) didn't seem all that interested in us:
    D asked him about the D80 and the 18-200VR lens, and the response was a
    half-hearted, "I guess I could show it to you quickly".

    We gave it a quick look-see (my first time handling a D80) and gave it
    to him to put back while D mulled over whether he wanted to buy it or
    continue shopping. The salesdroid was distracted by another customer (a
    girl - go figure) while we were talking over the potential purchase, and
    we were considering just leaving, when "Wade" came over and asked D if
    he had been helped. Well, D told him, "Yeah, that guy WAS, but I guess
    you get the sale now."

    Wade was friendly and pleasant and thoroughly helpful as D pieced
    together all the bits and pieces he was interested in (D80 body,
    18-200VR, battery grip, extra battery, 4GB card, case). In the end, he
    cut D a $60 break on the lens, and tossed in a 1A. Awesome guy, and
    we'd both recommend that anyone shopping at Glazer's talk to Wade!

    Grand total ended up being a hair over US$2200; we figure with the
    exchange (once the credit card bill comes in) it should end up being a
    bit under CDN$2100. Not bad considering that even with a "friends and
    family" discount at the particular retail store up here, the body and
    lens alone would have come to nearly $2400...

    Thanks all for your suggestions. Pity we didn't have time to stop and
    do any shooting around town, but it was already almost dark by the time
    we got out of the store, and we were anxious to get home (still a
    three-hour drive, including border wait times).

    Matt Ion, Nov 11, 2007
  13. Matt Ion

    John Turco Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" wrote:

    > Matt Ion wrote:
    > > We'll be in Seattle this weekend and my buddy is shopping for a D80
    > > setup, looking to see what kind of deal he can get with our nice
    > > valuable Canuck bucks :) Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in
    > > the I-5 corridor (Seattle and northward) that we might check out?

    > My favourite place is Kenmore Cameras (http://www.kcamera.com/) next to
    > HW-522 in Kenmore, about 20 miles NE of Seattle at the top end of Lake
    > Washington.
    >
    > jue

    Hello, Jürgen:

    Hmmm, I didn't know that there's a "Seattle" in Germany? <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 12, 2007