    Denis Boisclair
    Cheshire, UK.

    , Jan 9, 2006

  2. randya Guest

    Jan 9, 10:52 am show options

    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    From: - Find messages by this author
    Date: 9 Jan 2006 08:52:01 -0800
    Subject: Recommended Camera Dealer In New York??
    original | Report Abuse

    I have a son living in Long Island and working in New York: he wishes
    to upgrade his digital camera and I have recommended that he looks at
    the Canon Digital Rebel XT or the 10D. I'll be grateful if someone can
    please advise the name of a good camera dealer(with competitive
    pricing!) for him to visit in New York.

    Denis Boisclair
    Cheshire, UK.

    BH Photo has been a good choice.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

    For directions and such:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1571507C

    randya, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a son living in Long Island and working in New York: he wishes
    > to upgrade his digital camera and I have recommended that he looks at
    > the Canon Digital Rebel XT or the 10D. I'll be grateful if someone can
    > please advise the name of a good camera dealer(with competitive
    > pricing!) for him to visit in New York.
    >
    > Denis Boisclair
    > Cheshire, UK.

    B&H Photo, on 9th Ave. at 34th Street in Manhattan.

    Marvin, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Mark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a son living in Long Island and working in New York: he wishes
    > to upgrade his digital camera and I have recommended that he looks at
    > the Canon Digital Rebel XT or the 10D. I'll be grateful if someone can
    > please advise the name of a good camera dealer(with competitive
    > pricing!) for him to visit in New York.
    >
    > Denis Boisclair
    > Cheshire, UK.

    Adorama
    42 West 18th Street (Between 5th & 6th Ave.'s)
    New York, NY 10011

    or B&H Photo (as stated in the other response to you)

    These are two of the most reputable in the business.

    Mark, Jan 9, 2006
  5. Dave Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a son living in Long Island and working in New York: he wishes
    > to upgrade his digital camera and I have recommended that he looks at
    > the Canon Digital Rebel XT or the 10D. I'll be grateful if someone can
    > please advise the name of a good camera dealer(with competitive
    > pricing!) for him to visit in New York.
    >
    > Denis Boisclair
    > Cheshire, UK.

    Since he lives on Long Island (as do I)I think he might enjoy the
    experience better if he were to try Cameta Camera in Amityville. B&H is
    fine, but they tend to be less of a friendly experience and are quite
    aggressive in my opinion.

    Cameta prices will be very close if not better than B&H and they are
    very friendly and helpful. I've been doing business with them since the
    mid eighties even though I lived in Connecticut at the time and it was
    about a 2 hour trip to get there.

    Be sure to check their auctions on Ebay as well, but my preference would
    be to visit the store.

    Hope this helps,
    Dave

    PS - Cameta link for address and directions:

    http://www.cameta.com

    Dave, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Cynicor Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a son living in Long Island and working in New York: he wishes
    >> to upgrade his digital camera and I have recommended that he looks at
    >> the Canon Digital Rebel XT or the 10D. I'll be grateful if someone can
    >> please advise the name of a good camera dealer(with competitive
    >> pricing!) for him to visit in New York.
    >>
    >> Denis Boisclair
    >> Cheshire, UK.
    >>

    > Since he lives on Long Island (as do I)I think he might enjoy the
    > experience better if he were to try Cameta Camera in Amityville. B&H is
    > fine, but they tend to be less of a friendly experience and are quite
    > aggressive in my opinion.
    >
    > Cameta prices will be very close if not better than B&H and they are
    > very friendly and helpful. I've been doing business with them since the
    > mid eighties even though I lived in Connecticut at the time and it was
    > about a 2 hour trip to get there.
    >
    > Be sure to check their auctions on Ebay as well, but my preference would
    > be to visit the store.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Dave
    >
    > PS - Cameta link for address and directions:
    >
    > http://www.cameta.com

    Cameta is fine. But if the guy really lives on L.I. and commutes to NY,
    he probably trains it to Penn, and then can walk a block over to B&H.
    That's what I do when I just can't wait for something.

    Cynicor, Jan 9, 2006
  7. <> wrote in message
    >I have a son living in Long Island and working in New York: he wishes
    > to upgrade his digital camera and I have recommended that he looks at
    > the Canon Digital Rebel XT or the 10D. I'll be grateful if someone can
    > please advise the name of a good camera dealer(with competitive
    > pricing!) for him to visit in New York.
    >
    > Denis Boisclair
    > Cheshire, UK.

    He might try 17th Street Photo. I've ordered by telephone from them many
    times, and have always been pleased with the service, completeness of
    inventory, quality of gods, and timeliness of delivery. I've never been to
    their place in NY, so my familiarity is based solely on telephone and
    internet. (www.17photo.com.)
    Jim C.

    James Copeland, Jan 9, 2006
  8. Rich Guest

    On 9 Jan 2006 08:52:01 -0800, wrote:

    >I have a son living in Long Island and working in New York: he wishes
    >to upgrade his digital camera and I have recommended that he looks at
    >the Canon Digital Rebel XT or the 10D. I'll be grateful if someone can
    >please advise the name of a good camera dealer(with competitive
    >pricing!) for him to visit in New York.
    >
    >Denis Boisclair
    >Cheshire, UK.

    Any but these:
    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

    Rich, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Bolshoy Huy Guest

    J&R
    B&H
    Adorama
    However, Abe's of Maine in Brooklyn seems
    to have lower prices. Buzz isnt bad.
    Staples, Best Buy, are legit.
    PC Richards has higher prices; a 256mb for $40, Best Buy had a 512mb
    for $40-$10rebate.

    Bolshoy Huy, Jan 10, 2006
  10. Guest

    Thank you very much everyone for such prompt replies and very helpful
    information.I am passing this on to Michael and hope to report back
    with his experiences in the near future.

    Denis
    Cheshire, UK.

    , Jan 10, 2006
  11. Cat Guest

    Denis

    I also recommend B&H. I have dealt with them for a few years and they
    were recommended to me by photojournalist I know. I have found them to
    be very knowledgeable and helpful both on the phone and in the store.
    I bought my first, second and third camera from them and they were
    consistently far less expensive.

    If you are going to go into the store DO NOT go on the weekend or
    during lunch hour.

    Kit

    Cat, Jan 11, 2006
  12. Cat Guest

    Denis

    Denis

    A word of advice regarding Cameta Camera—although friendly and easy to
    talk to they have gray market merchandise, which I was not informed of.
    I found that out the hard way when I had problems with a flash. It
    was only after I made a huge fuss in the store that I was able to get
    satisfaction.

    Kit

    Cat, Jan 11, 2006
  13. Rich Guest

    Rich, Jan 12, 2006
  14. Rich Guest

    Up until now I have never posted a message on any forum but I had to
    respond to the erroneous "advice" recently provided on this forum that
    Cameta Camera "has gray market merchandise".This is TOTALLY UNTRUE! One
    of the many reasons why Cameta Camera is in business over 21 years and
    has almost 120,000 (one hundred twenty thousand) POSITIVE FEEDBACKS on
    eBay, is that Cameta Camera never did and never will sell gray
    market/parrallel import equipment. At Cameta Camera, all equipment is
    sourced from it's vaild USA distributor and is always provided with the
    valid USA warranty, all the standard accessories and any applicable
    rebates! Equipment can be easily checked with it's authorized USA
    distributor to verify that it had come from them. If this had been
    done, I would not have had to respond as I am now doing.

    Rich

    Rich, Jan 12, 2006
  15. Tony Cooper Guest

    On 12 Jan 2006 11:50:15 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >Up until now I have never posted a message on any forum but I had to
    >respond to the erroneous "advice" recently provided on this forum that
    >Cameta Camera "has gray market merchandise".This is TOTALLY UNTRUE! One
    >of the many reasons why Cameta Camera is in business over 21 years and
    >has almost 120,000 (one hundred twenty thousand) POSITIVE FEEDBACKS on
    >eBay, is that Cameta Camera never did and never will sell gray
    >market/parrallel import equipment. At Cameta Camera, all equipment is
    >sourced from it's vaild USA distributor and is always provided with the
    >valid USA warranty, all the standard accessories and any applicable
    >rebates! Equipment can be easily checked with it's authorized USA
    >distributor to verify that it had come from them. If this had been
    >done, I would not have had to respond as I am now doing.

    If you are an employee of Cameta, and can speak with "insider"
    knowledge, you should identify yourself as such. Your email address
    is not a clear indication of your status.

    Otherwise, it's just your opinion. I don't agree or disagree with it,
    but I'm going to treat it as opinion based on unless you declare
    otherwise.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 12, 2006
  16. IRISH GENE Guest

    b&H for sure as already posted .
    ive also had good dealing with alkit camera
    contact info below .
    gene

    222 Park Avenue South
    820 Third Avenue
    830 Seventh Avenue
    Alkit Pro

    Alkit Pro Center
    222 Park Avenue South at 18th Street

    New York, NY 10003

    tel (800) 285-1698 or (212) 674-1515

    Department Ext

    Internet Sales 373

    Cameras (New & Used) 8

    Professional Digital Solutions 344

    Rentals Equipment & Lighting 5

    Processing & Printing Services 6

    Film & Inkjet Paper & Ink 6

    Store Fax (212) 533-8044

    Rental Dept. Fax (212) 505-3086

    Hours:

    7:30AM - 6:30PM Monday - Friday

    9:00AM - 6:00PM Saturdays

    Closed Sundays

    IRISH GENE, Jan 12, 2006
  17. IRISH GENE Guest

    IRISH GENE, Jan 12, 2006
  18. On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:43:37 GMT, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On 12 Jan 2006 11:50:15 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Up until now I have never posted a message on any forum but I had to
    >>respond to the erroneous "advice" recently provided on this forum that
    >>Cameta Camera "has gray market merchandise".This is TOTALLY UNTRUE! One
    >>of the many reasons why Cameta Camera is in business over 21 years and
    >>has almost 120,000 (one hundred twenty thousand) POSITIVE FEEDBACKS on
    >>eBay, is that Cameta Camera never did and never will sell gray
    >>market/parrallel import equipment. At Cameta Camera, all equipment is
    >>sourced from it's vaild USA distributor and is always provided with the
    >>valid USA warranty, all the standard accessories and any applicable
    >>rebates! Equipment can be easily checked with it's authorized USA
    >>distributor to verify that it had come from them. If this had been
    >>done, I would not have had to respond as I am now doing.

    >If you are an employee of Cameta, and can speak with "insider"
    >knowledge, you should identify yourself as such. Your email address
    >is not a clear indication of your status.

    It would appear he does work for Cameta. Google his email.

    with the google you find this:

    http://forums.devshed.com/dns-36/internal-dns-with-hosted-web-site-135907.html

    "I believe that all government is evil,
    in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

    From "Mencken's Creed"
    H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)

    John A. Stovall, Jan 12, 2006
  19. Rich wrote:

    > Up until now I have never posted a message on any forum but I had to
    > respond to the erroneous "advice" recently provided on this forum that
    > Cameta Camera "has gray market merchandise".This is TOTALLY UNTRUE!
    > One of the many reasons why Cameta Camera is in business over 21
    > years and has almost 120,000 (one hundred twenty thousand) POSITIVE
    > FEEDBACKS on eBay, is that Cameta Camera never did and never will
    > sell gray market/parrallel import equipment. At Cameta Camera, all
    > equipment is sourced from it's vaild USA distributor and is always
    > provided with the valid USA warranty, all the standard accessories
    > and any applicable rebates! Equipment can be easily checked with it's
    > authorized USA distributor to verify that it had come from them. If
    > this had been done, I would not have had to respond as I am now doing.

    Hello Rich, I've done a lot of business with you guys and your service is
    great. I have absolutely no complaints, just a bunch of compliments. I do
    have one question about some terminology in your eBay auctions. Why do you
    call "refurbished" items "salesman samples?" This is a put-off to me and
    others that value honest and accurate descriptions without wordplay. Your
    warranties on these items are excellent and I have no problems purchasing
    them.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 12, 2006
  20. "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On 12 Jan 2006 11:50:15 -0800, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Up until now I have never posted a message on any forum but I had to
    >>respond to the erroneous "advice" recently provided on this forum that
    >>Cameta Camera "has gray market merchandise".This is TOTALLY UNTRUE! One
    >>of the many reasons why Cameta Camera is in business over 21 years and
    >>has almost 120,000 (one hundred twenty thousand) POSITIVE FEEDBACKS on
    >>eBay, is that Cameta Camera never did and never will sell gray
    >>market/parrallel import equipment. At Cameta Camera, all equipment is
    >>sourced from it's vaild USA distributor and is always provided with the
    >>valid USA warranty, all the standard accessories and any applicable
    >>rebates! Equipment can be easily checked with it's authorized USA
    >>distributor to verify that it had come from them. If this had been
    >>done, I would not have had to respond as I am now doing.

    > If you are an employee of Cameta, and can speak with "insider"
    > knowledge, you should identify yourself as such. Your email address
    > is not a clear indication of your status.
    >
    > Otherwise, it's just your opinion. I don't agree or disagree with it,
    > but I'm going to treat it as opinion based on unless you declare
    > otherwise.

    IMO, Rich's statemtents would hold more weight if he is an employee and
    identified himself as such. I don't have a lot of equipment but I've been
    buying from Cameta since the 1980's. I've never known them to have grey
    market goods. I don't spend a ton of money there (although I wish I could)
    but they treat me like I do. I have found their prices to be very
    competitive.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jan 13, 2006