Recommended Budget PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I read all the great advice in the post last week in the cubase
    newsgroup on a good PC spec for running Cubase 4.

    I am just wondering though what would make an acceptable budget PC for
    running Cubase Studio 4?

    I was thinking in the direction of value, stability and compatibility
    without compromising performance too much.

    Would the following components be okay for a budget set up?

    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    XFX GeForce 7600GT Fatal1ty 256MB Dual DVI DDR3 PCI-E
    EMU 1212M
    Kingston 1GB 800MHz DDR2 ECC CL5 DIMM
    Seagate Barracuda 320GB 16MB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive

    Do the above components sound okay or would you change them for
    anything else instead?

    I am thinking that I could have the hard drive in an external
    enclosure. It's better for security as well as getting rid of noise if
    you can keep it away from your recording room.

    I have also be thinking about whether it would be feasible to have the
    power supply away from the base unit of the computer? I guess if a
    solution to that is too complicated you could just move the whole base
    unit elsewhere to get rid of system noise?

    I wasn't too sure on a motherboard. Can anyone suggested a decent
    stable AM2 Motherboard? I don't think I would need extra bells and
    whistles like on board sound and graphics because I would be adding
    them myself and wouldn't want the cards I am adding to conflict with
    the ones already there.

    I'm not too sure about the OS yet? I have Windows XP Pro (2002, sp2),
    the 32 bit version already. Would I need to get the 64 bit version of
    XP or even get Vista? Or would I still be okay with what I have
    already got?

    I could use my current pc case for the new system as well as the
    DVD-RW in there so that's no problem.

    Speakers!! Nearly forgot about one of the most important things! Can
    anyone recommend any speakers for me and where to look online at the
    different options available?

    Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

    Cheers

    John

    John, Jan 26, 2007

  2. John

    Brian Guest

    It sounds more like you are looknig for a quiet system....rather than a
    budget system. You might try looking into liquid cooled systems..a little
    more expensive but much quieter without the fans

    Brian, Jan 27, 2007

  3. John

    HellPopeHuey Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > It sounds more like you are looknig for a quiet system....rather than a
    > budget system. You might try looking into liquid cooled systems..a little
    > more expensive but much quieter without the fans

    BTW, as basic as this may sound, don't take "budget" too far. All in
    all, you should seriously go for a 2 ghz machine or so and 2 gb of RAM.
    We're at the cusp of an all-too-serious leap upwards in power, AGAIN and
    that means greater demands from newer programs. Overhead is your best
    pal and your best defense. I've hit that wall and its ugly, heh heh.
    If you're going to run your OS (naturally), Cubase and even 3 or 4
    synth-type plug-ins, you need the speed and shifting room. Better to
    save up and get the next machine up the line than get a cheaper one that
    will choke when you add that one last vital, shiny new program! Nothing
    ruins your fun like a computer that does redraws so slow, you can make
    coffee before they're done. You may already KNOW this, of course, but
    even real braniacs can miss one small point and those "Oops" moments
    really bite.

    --

    HellPope Huey
    Its getting better all the time... for bacteria

    "Watching CNN Breaking News is like
    watching sausages being made."
    ~ Governor Rocknar

    "You multi-celled organisms are, like, SO complex!"
    - "Fairly Odd Parents"

    HellPopeHuey, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Brian:

    > It sounds more like you are looknig for a quiet system....rather than
    > a budget system. You might try looking into liquid cooled systems..
    > a little more expensive but much quieter without the fans

    Well, I just got a new mainboard + cpu + ram + graphics card about 2 months
    ago and find it quite quiet *without* liquid cooling.
    The case, power supply and drives (LG DVD writer + 250 gb Samsung HD) are
    the as before.
    Anyway, since I always wanted a "quiet" system, I chose a mainboard and a
    graphics card with passive cooling.

    Here´s the parts list:

    - Athlon64 (AM2 socket) 3000+ (the cheapest single-core available)
    - MSI K9N mainboard (nforce 550 chipset)
    - MSI nvidia gt7300
    - 1 gb (2x 512 mb) Corsair DDR2-800 RAM

    - M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 (for audio stuff)

    The new system is much quieter than the old system was - and there´s
    basically only one active cooler less now (for the mainboard chipset). Right
    now, one side of the case is open, because I just put in a Firewire card and
    I hear very few operation noise from the pc...
    Even though I did not go for a fancy extra-quiet cpu cooler and just got a
    "boxed" cpu + cooler package! ;-)

    I´ve done a good number of vocal recording sessions (2-3 per week) with this
    setup and SX3 and did not have any problem yet. Okay, I´ve only had the new
    stuff for 2 months now, but used it relatively often for DAW stuff since
    then.

    At the moment, the cpu power is sufficient for my needs and I´ll wait until
    the prices have dropped, before I upgrade to a bigger cpu. The new mainboard
    can take up to a 5500+ dual-core Athlon and 4 GB of RAM.

    I looked for components, that allow the best future upgrade options (newest
    cpu socket and "new" RAM type) at the moment... In direct comparison, older
    sockets like 954 for Athlon would not have been significantly cheaper, but
    definitely much worse upgradewise.

    Whatever you go for, only get the newest cpu socket and ram type. Get a
    graphics card with passive cooling, but beware of "TurboCache", which is a
    kind of shared-memory (the graphics card can use a certain amount of the
    main RAM, if the graphic RAM is not enough! a possible cause for undesired
    effects in DAW software).

    Phil

    Philipp Wachtel, Jan 27, 2007