    sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.
    GraB, Oct 11, 2006

  2. GraB

    Vista Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    > the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    > IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >
    > I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    > sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    > on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    > including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    You are talking about known holes. IE only has more holes than others
    because it is the most common broswer (85% used) and thus more hackers have
    tried hacking it and found holes. Opera is one of the least used, thus less
    hackers have hacked it, even though it may have many holes, they just
    haven't yet been found. Firefox is supposed to be full of holes, including
    one critical java one, and the reason why these holes have been recently
    found, is becuase it has become a lot more popular. I use Opera for online
    banking, because it has the most functionality, and is my favorite browser.
    It is up to the banks to provide security for their websites, so I am not
    really worried about how secure the brand of browser is.
    Vista, Oct 11, 2006

  3. On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:13:33 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    > the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    > IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >
    > I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    > sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    > on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    > including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    BNZ rocks with Firefox.
    wogers nemesis, Oct 11, 2006
  4. GraB

    Philip Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:13:33 +1300, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    >> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    >> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >>
    >> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    >> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    >> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    >> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    > BNZ rocks with Firefox.

    Sure does! I've been experimenting with Opera, and it solves some small
    display issues that Firefox (running on Ubuntu Dapper) has. But Firefox
    is still the main browser here. I can't run IE anyway on this Linux box
    so it doesn't arise.

    I guess I'm paranoid, but when I want to do online banking I do
    Control-Shift-Del in Firefox to delete all personal data, close Firefox,
    then start it up again, do Control-Shift-Del again in case it loaded
    something I didn't know about, and then go to my banking sites. Once I'm
    done with each bank, I repeat the procedure, close Firefox and restart.
    This may offer the same security as waving a dead chicken over the
    keyboard, but so far we have had no bad experiences with online banking.

    I still worry about a Java keylogger installilng itelf (how would I
    know?) and I don't want to lose java.

    Life is full of insecurities...

    Philip
    Philip, Oct 11, 2006
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Perhaps you could put your browser through http://www.scanit.be/bcheck
    and http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    GraB, Oct 11, 2006
  6. GraB

    peterwn Guest

    Re: Recommended browsers for online banking ! !

    GraB wrote:

    > I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    > sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    > on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    > including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    Because if they stop recommending IE they may have a problem with
    flying chairs.

    IMO they should recommend that customers boot up with UBANTU or similar
    to do internet banking and even send each customer a UBANTU or similar
    CD.
    peterwn, Oct 11, 2006
  7. GraB

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:48:12 +1300, "Vista" <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    >> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    >> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >>
    >> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    >> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    >> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    >> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.
    >>

    >You are talking about known holes. IE only has more holes than others
    >because it is the most common broswer (85% used) and thus more hackers have
    >tried hacking it and found holes. Opera is one of the least used, thus less
    >hackers have hacked it, even though it may have many holes, they just
    >haven't yet been found. Firefox is supposed to be full of holes, including
    >one critical java one, and the reason why these holes have been recently
    >found, is becuase it has become a lot more popular. I use Opera for online
    >banking, because it has the most functionality, and is my favorite browser.
    >It is up to the banks to provide security for their websites, so I am not
    >really worried about how secure the brand of browser is.

    Please just do not believe all that you read, as the Java one is now being reported as a Hoax..

    Those Holes on IE do not affect online Banking, Holes are the way you use the computer, on the
    software on it, no Firewall or Decent Virus program, KVP or KIS are the only one to use, and
    Spyware program like Spy Sweeper.
    Jack Hammond, Oct 11, 2006
  8. GraB

    SchoolTech Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    > the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    > IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >
    > I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    > sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    > on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    > including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    Do you live in a cave? IE 7 is where it's at.
    SchoolTech, Oct 12, 2006
  9. In message <452ddf11$>, SchoolTech wrote:

    > GraB wrote:
    >> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    >> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    >> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >>
    >> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    >> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    >> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    >> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.
    >>

    > Do you live in a cave? IE 7 is where it's at.

    Doesn't seem to offer much in the way of new features.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2006
  10. GraB

    TomC Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > GraB wrote:
    >> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    >> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    >> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >>
    >> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    >> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    >> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    >> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.
    >>

    > Do you live in a cave? IE 7 is where it's at.

    > IMO they should recommend that customers boot up with UBANTU or similar
    > to do internet banking and even send each customer a UBANTU or similar
    > CD.

    Ha! An informed comment. If you do not have Linux
    on your computer, then booting a
    Live CD, Knoppix or Ubuntu is a really good idea
    as this operating system boots into
    memory & can not be corrupted or infected.
    But it is only practical if you have an external
    modem such as US Robotics, or a router.
    Most winmodems are not supported.

    http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/KNOPPIX-Live-DVD-Download-2621.html

    cheers Tom
    --
    * Thankfully this message was not scanned by AVG
    Free *
    TomC, Oct 12, 2006
  11. GraB

    -=rjh=- Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > GraB wrote:
    >
    >> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    >> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    >> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    >> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    > Because if they stop recommending IE they may have a problem with
    > flying chairs.

    I doubt if that is a concern - they'd be more concerned about losing
    ~80% of their online banking customers. Not that many of their customers
    would even know what web browser they are running.

    > IMO they should recommend that customers boot up with UBANTU or similar
    > to do internet banking and even send each customer a UBANTU or similar
    > CD.

    That's absurd (it is also Ubuntu, not Ubantu). It would totally confuse
    customers, and open up a huge customer support nightmare. And I would
    totally object to rebooting my systems anyway (and certainly with a CD
    sent to me by a business), since they run for weeks or months between
    reboots generally.

    In earlier times, some businesses thought that the best way to get
    online business was to require the use of a custom or proprietary
    application - I'm pretty sure banking was one of these businesses, but
    supermarkets definitely were. You had to use Woolworth's software to
    access their online shopping. Although not an online business in those
    days, Photopost had this stupid proprietary file format that required
    their software to view your own photos.

    Quaint, when you look back on it. Modern online activities generally fit
    seamlessly into normal computer usage. Why would you want to change that?
    -=rjh=-, Oct 12, 2006
  12. Re: Recommended browsers for online banking ! !

    In message <>, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > peterwn wrote:
    >> GraB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    >>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    >>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    >>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    >> Because if they stop recommending IE they may have a problem with
    >> flying chairs.

    > I doubt if that is a concern - they'd be more concerned about losing
    > ~80% of their online banking customers.

    That number continues to decline, though
    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061010-7949.html>.

    > [An Ubuntu live CD] would totally confuse
    > customers, and open up a huge customer support nightmare.

    Not sure why it would be so huge, judging from the existing levels of
    user-support discussions on Ubuntu forums.

    > And I would
    > totally object to rebooting my systems anyway (and certainly with a CD
    > sent to me by a business), since they run for weeks or months between
    > reboots generally.

    I think most Windows PCs do reboot on a regular basis. And their users do
    tend to trust their banks.

    > In earlier times, some businesses thought that the best way to get
    > online business was to require the use of a custom or proprietary
    > application - I'm pretty sure banking was one of these businesses, but
    > supermarkets definitely were. You had to use Woolworth's software to
    > access their online shopping. Although not an online business in those
    > days, Photopost had this stupid proprietary file format that required
    > their software to view your own photos.

    Yes, but Ubuntu is still Ubuntu.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2006
  13. GraB

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> peterwn wrote:

    >>> Because if they stop recommending IE they may have a problem with
    >>> flying chairs.

    >> I doubt if that is a concern - they'd be more concerned about losing
    >> ~80% of their online banking customers.

    > That number continues to decline, though
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061010-7949.html>.

    I thought 82% was the latest figure?

    >> [An Ubuntu live CD] would totally confuse
    >> customers, and open up a huge customer support nightmare.

    > Not sure why it would be so huge, judging from the existing levels of
    > user-support discussions on Ubuntu forums.

    The average PC user may not even be able to boot from CD, or have any
    way of knowing how to access the bios settings to make it so. No one in
    their right mind is going to encourage people who don't know what they
    are doing to change their bios settings.

    And that is just the first step!

    Even when booted, the customer is going to be calling the helpdesk
    because they can't find the blue "E" that they used to used for internet
    banking.

    >> And I would
    >> totally object to rebooting my systems anyway (and certainly with a CD
    >> sent to me by a business), since they run for weeks or months between
    >> reboots generally.

    > I think most Windows PCs do reboot on a regular basis.

    That will change - is starting to already. Lower power consumption,
    laptops with hibernation, ADSL, media PCs are all starting to have an
    effect.

    And their users do
    > tend to trust their banks.

    These'll be the same banks that (IIRC) have collectively been fined $22M
    by the CC?

    >> In earlier times, some businesses thought that the best way to get
    >> online business was to require the use of a custom or proprietary
    >> application - I'm pretty sure banking was one of these businesses, but
    >> supermarkets definitely were. You had to use Woolworth's software to
    >> access their online shopping. Although not an online business in those
    >> days, Photopost had this stupid proprietary file format that required
    >> their software to view your own photos.

    > Yes, but Ubuntu is still Ubuntu.

    How would you feel if it were the other way around, and you were forced
    to boot Windows to get the job done?

    I can't see how forcing Linux onto people is acceptable even as a
    "pie-in-the sky" idea. I find it totally abhorrent.

    People should be able to make their own choice of OS, and businesses
    should accommodate that. These days, the common factor is the web
    browser, which has become so compelling that the OS is irrelevant.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 12, 2006
  14. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:13:33 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    >the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    >IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >
    >I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    >sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    >on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    >including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    After communicating my concerns to ANZ about the recommended use of IE
    5.5 I received this in a reply:

    Removing support for Internet Explorer 5.5 would prevent customers on
    older computers, which cannot be upgraded to Internet Explorer 6, from
    accessing ANZ Internet Banking.

    What old computer can't be upgraded to IE 6?
    GraB, Oct 19, 2006
  15. GraB <> wrote:

    > Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
    > the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
    > IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
    >
    > I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
    > sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
    > on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
    > including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

    Banks are nortorious for being stupid about browsers. Nothing new about
    that.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 21, 2006