    from basics?

    Thanks in advance for your help
    Nick

    Nick, Oct 9, 2005

  2. Nick

    Jeremy Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Can anyone recommend a book, CD or website that would help me
    > understand more about what I can do with digital images, explaining it
    > from basics?

    I have version 5.5, and I have put off learning it until now, preferring
    instead to use PSP. I finally decided to bite the bullet, and I ordered 5
    books. All but one of them seemed to presume that the reader had some
    minimal level of experience with Photoshop, and they were sadly deficient in
    explaining the palettes, menu bar functions and the toolbox icons.

    All except one. That one was from Against The Clock Performance and
    Training Systems, and was titled "Adobe Photoshop 5 - An Introduction To
    Digital Images," published by Prentice Hall. It is a spiral-bound book,
    with CD, and it appears to be oriented toward University-level courses. I
    presume that it has been updated for the more current versions of Photoshop.
    I bought mine on Amazon for $8.50 (used) and it was the best Photoshop book
    I purchased because it really does start from scratch--even to the point
    that it explains what appears on the screen when Photoshop is first turned
    on.

    It also goes into detail in explaining the "whys" of doing certain things.
    And it has a number of projects to give the student valuable hands-on
    experience in using many of the tools and capabilities in Photoshop.

    If you are seeking a book that closely emulates having an instructor
    standing over you and telling you to "click this" or "select that," in order
    to let you see what the effect will be on your image, then this one fits the
    bill.

    This is an instructional course, not an encyclopedia such as the "Photoshop
    Bible." It will get the student beyond the basics of Photoshop, up to the
    early stages of an intermediate level. The authors have a companion volume
    called "Adobe Photoshop: Advanced Digital Images," which I intend to seek
    out as well.

    There is one other unique instructional volume, "Learn Photoshop Visually,"
    published by IDG Books. It's "lessons" consist of actual screen shots, with
    the appropriate tools circled in red. It "shows" you what to do rather than
    "telling" you.

    Ironically, the major reason that I am trying to master Photoshop is that
    Paint Shop Pro does NOT have nearly the amount of instructional materials
    and resources available as does PS. If one really wants to learn how to
    master an editing program, all of the good stuff is available for PS.

    Jeremy, Oct 9, 2005

  3. Nick

    Guest

    I like "The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers," by Scott
    Kelby--available on Amazon.

    Paul B.
    www.scienceteacher.biz

    , Oct 9, 2005
  4. Nick

    Bob Williams Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've recently started playing with Photoshop 7.0 at work, and would
    > like to learn more about editing images (digital photos)
    >
    > I invested in Keyko's photoshop training CDs, which are great at
    > telling me how to adjust Hue, Pantone Duotone, Saturation, Gamma, etc.
    > The problem is that I don't understand these functions and when / how I
    > should use these.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a book, CD or website that would help me
    > understand more about what I can do with digital images, explaining it
    > from basics?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help
    > Nick

    The books that I found especially helpful for a beginner were:
    1. Adobe Photoshop (your version) Classroom in a Book ...Adobe Staff.
    With the help of the included CD, the book walks you through many
    projects of gradually increasing complexity. When you are finished the
    book you will be reasonably competent. Then, and only then, do the
    myriad "BIBLES and HOW TO" books on the market begin to be helpful.

    2. Visual Quickstart Guide....Weinman and Lourekas
    Step-by-step guide shows how to use the various tools in PS and provides
    a lot of simple exercises to reinforce what you just learned.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 9, 2005
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Jeremy, Paul, Bob - thanks for your advice, I'll check those out!

    Nick

    Nick, Oct 10, 2005