Recommended: Barney Miller season 1

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Just out on DVD, street price in the low $20s. Mine arrived Friday
    and I'm afraid I watched the whole thing over the weekend.

    It's 314 minutes on two discs, 1.33:1 :), with no extras worth
    mentioning. There are no subtitled but there _are_ closed captions.
    The menus are bare-bones, "play all" or episode selections, no scene
    selections. However, each episode that I checked has a chapter mark
    at the end of the opening credits, a convenience.

    The colors seem a bit drab, but that may have been the look of the
    original show. Sound is just fine. I dimly remember that the show
    was filmed, not taped, which might account for it. I didn't notice
    any digital artifacts.

    As for the program material, season 1 was the first 13 episodes
    because Barney started as a midseason replacement in 1975. While not
    yet fully developed, even season 1 shows a lot of the witty writing
    and excellent ensemble work that have made this my favorite comedy.

    Jack Soo (Yemana) and Ron Glass (Harris) were not listed as regulars
    in the opening credits but were in about half the episodes and
    listed first in the closing credits. James Gregory (Inspector Luger)
    and Jack de Leon (Marty) were in two episodes each, IIRC.

    Disc 1 is the first 9 half-hour episodes, and disc 2 is episodes 10-
    13. The original pilot, which had aired earlier with a different mix
    of actors, is not included.

    The episodes average 24 minutes plus a few seconds. Kind of amazing
    that back then less than 20% of our network viewing time was
    commercials.

    (followups set to rec.video.dvd.titles only)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Stan Brown

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > The episodes average 24 minutes plus a few seconds. Kind of amazing
    > that back then less than 20% of our network viewing time was
    > commercials.

    There was a study just published that said something on the order of
    for every 3 hour block of prime time programming there is now over an
    hour of commercial advertising.

    Gee, I wonder if that may be why viewership numbers are slipping?

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Stan Brown

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Jordan
    Lund <> wrote:

    > Stan Brown <> wrote in message
    >
    > > The episodes average 24 minutes plus a few seconds. Kind of amazing
    > > that back then less than 20% of our network viewing time was
    > > commercials.

    > There was a study just published that said something on the order of
    > for every 3 hour block of prime time programming there is now over an
    > hour of commercial advertising.
    >
    > Gee, I wonder if that may be why viewership numbers are slipping?

    But given that more people are watching cable and that seems to have
    more comercials then network tv, I doubt there's a relationship.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jan 26, 2004
  4. >given that more people are watching cable and that seems to have
    >more comercials then network tv, I doubt there's a relationship.
    >
    >--

    where did you hear that? The last I heard (read from sources like newspapers
    and tv guides) wqhich was pretty recent is that more people still watch the
    regular broadcast networks than watch the cable networks.

    although the viewership numbers of the broadcast networks are indeed declining
    as you say.

    I don't think it's because of the commercials (although that may be part of it)
    , at least not totally.

    I think it's because of the poor quality of most recent programming on the
    broadcast networks.
    Waterperson77, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Stan Brown

    Mark Gold Guest

    (Jordan Lund) wrote:

    >> The episodes average 24 minutes plus a few seconds. Kind of amazing
    >> that back then less than 20% of our network viewing time was
    >> commercials.

    There used to be law; the law was repealed; "deregulation".

    >There was a study just published that said something on the order of
    >for every 3 hour block of prime time programming there is now over an
    >hour of commercial advertising.
    >
    >Gee, I wonder if that may be why viewership numbers are slipping?

    Could be, but the business is run by Harvardites; Harvard MBAs are
    morons.
    Mark Gold, Jan 27, 2004