    I'm currently getting poor quality and silences especially from a
    wireless PC.

    Pete
    dizzley, May 1, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    "dizzley" <> writes:
    > Do you need a specific kind of router to properly manage Voip traffic?
    > There are some with QoS features which prioritise Voip. I use my
    > broadband for lots of varied stuff but wonder if I should get one of
    > these routers.

    Mine doesn't, (actually, VoIP goes through two routers, neither
    of which pay any attention to QoS), and I don't have any problems.
    With a large FTP transfer running, it is just noticable if you
    listen hard, but not obvious or obtrusive.

    > What's good for the money?
    >
    > I'm currently getting poor quality and silences especially from a
    > wireless PC.

    I would start by trying a hard-wired connection instead, to see
    if the problem is the wireless link.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, May 1, 2006

  3. dizzley

    dizzley Guest

    Yeah. Thanks. I think wireless is the real problem. I'll go wired and
    report back.

    I'm going to spend this UK Bank Holiday monday building an A@H box...

    Pete
    dizzley, May 1, 2006
  4. dizzley

    Mike Smith Guest

    On 30 Apr 2006 22:11:20 -0700, "dizzley" <> wrote:

    >Do you need a specific kind of router to properly manage Voip traffic?
    >There are some with QoS features which prioritise Voip. I use my
    >broadband for lots of varied stuff but wonder if I should get one of
    >these routers.
    >
    >What's good for the money?
    >
    >I'm currently getting poor quality and silences especially from a
    >wireless PC.
    >
    >Pete

    Draytek Vigor 2800 does the job very nicely. In fact its the best
    router on the market for most things. It does come a heffty price tag
    though but WELL worth it.
    Mike Smith, May 1, 2006
  5. dizzley

    Andy Furniss Guest

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "dizzley" <> writes:
    >
    >>Do you need a specific kind of router to properly manage Voip traffic?
    >>There are some with QoS features which prioritise Voip. I use my
    >>broadband for lots of varied stuff but wonder if I should get one of
    >>these routers.

    > Mine doesn't, (actually, VoIP goes through two routers, neither
    > of which pay any attention to QoS), and I don't have any problems.
    > With a large FTP transfer running, it is just noticable if you
    > listen hard, but not obvious or obtrusive.

    Not that I've got any reccomendations as my router is an old p200 and I
    don't use voip, but just because you can do an ftp upload + voip OK it
    doesn't mean that QOS is not required for others.

    The delay from one ftp upload will be limited by the tcp (c)window
    advertised by the remote end and/or the size of the buffer in your
    modem/router.

    Try P2P (multiple tcps) or different kit and your results may be very
    different - mine and many, AIUI, modems have buffers that are > 2
    seconds at 288kbit upstream dsl rates.

    Andy.
    Andy Furniss, May 3, 2006