Recommendations:- Sub-£1000 colour lasers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Miss Perspicacia Tick, May 3, 2005.

  1. My faithful Stylus Colour 900 has just bitten the dust and, as a decent
    inkjet these days is nigh on impossible to find, I've decided to get a
    colour laser hoping that it will be as cheap to run as my Epson was.

    1200x1200dpi
    Fast warm-up
    At least 64MB as standard
    Easily refillable tanks
    Duplexing
    Separate envelope tray (though not essential)
    Reasonably priced additional components (the most obvious would be an extra
    paper tray).
    Longevity
    Technical support who a) speak English (preferably without a thick Asian
    sub-continental accent) and b) know what they're on about!

    So far I've looked at:

    Epson: C3000 and C4000 (both have a duplexing unit as standard)
    HP: - LJ3700 (no duplexer, but double the memory of the Epsons)
    OKI: - C7300 (temptingly offered with a free mono laser which my parents
    could use)
    Minolta: - Magicolour 2430 (with additional 256MB, paper tray and duplex
    unit, though its colour output is rather slow).
    Dell:- 5100n (are these Lexmarks? It's also unclear whether this is supplied
    with toner or not. If not, then it's out of the running).
    Lexmark: - 510cn (lack of features means it's expensive)

    Usage
    --------
    Brochures (tri-panel double sided and bookfold)
    Business Cards
    Flyers
    Posters
    Leaflets
    Labels
    Envelopes
    Letters
    Newsletters (tri-panel and A4)

    The Epson AccuLaser is the front runner at the moment, but the price of the
    toner and additional components let it down. I cannot find any information
    on how to refill the tanks, either.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, May 3, 2005