    memory media, common battery type) which body is recommended - D50, D70,
    D70s?

    Thanks, Bill
    Bill Gillespie, Dec 28, 2006

  2. Bill Gillespie wrote:

    > Hello All, some time ago I posted some questions concerning my
    > purchasing a Nikon DSLR. In the end I selected the D200 with the
    > 18-70mm Kit lens and I am very pleased with this purchase. I want to
    > thank all those who contributed to the discussion.
    >
    > This time my question is in regards to purchasing a second Nikon DSLR
    > body. When using film I was used to shooting with 2 bodies, usually one
    > with a wide angle zoom, the other with a telephoto or telephoto zoom
    > lens. I am now considering purchasing a second body (used is OK) and
    > want something less expensive than the D200. I realize I will give up
    > some features and settle for less MP but I really think this would work.
    >
    > My question is : From a practical standpoint (common features, common
    > memory media, common battery type) which body is recommended - D50, D70,
    > D70s?

    The D50 isn't common on the memory front. It uses SD cards as does the
    D40 & D80. Best bet IMO is for a D70s which may be going cheap(er) now
    the D80 has arrived. And even cheaper if it's used cos someone has
    upgraded. My local camera shop has them refurbed with an 18-70 for less
    than a new D50 with the same lens.

    Doc
    Dr Hfuhruhurr, Dec 28, 2006

  3. Bill Gillespie

    ink Guest

    "Bill Gillespie" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All, some time ago I posted some questions concerning my purchasing
    > a Nikon DSLR. In the end I selected the D200 with the 18-70mm Kit lens
    > and I am very pleased with this purchase. I want to thank all those who
    > contributed to the discussion.
    >
    > This time my question is in regards to purchasing a second Nikon DSLR
    > body. When using film I was used to shooting with 2 bodies, usually one
    > with a wide angle zoom, the other with a telephoto or telephoto zoom lens.
    > I am now considering purchasing a second body (used is OK) and want
    > something less expensive than the D200. I realize I will give up some
    > features and settle for less MP but I really think this would work.
    >
    > My question is : From a practical standpoint (common features, common
    > memory media, common battery type) which body is recommended - D50, D70,
    > D70s?

    Bill,

    I used a D70 for quite a while, and when I upgraded to the D200, I first was
    going to sell the D70, then decided to keep it - and a damn good idea that
    was. Shot a wedding recently, and when the battery of the D200 gave in, I
    was very glad to have the D70 hanging on my back. I had a spare battery for
    the D200, but not enough time to change. I think the D70/D70s is a very
    capable camera, and you should be able to pick up a used one as backup at a
    quite decent price. I find the handling of the D200 and D70 to be close
    enough to not have to re-think completely when switching quickly, and 6mp is
    enough for nice prints, too, in such situations. So, I would recommend a
    used D70 or a D70s.

    BTW, I also had my trusty old FM2n hanging on my back... and that was a good
    idea, too. I hate it when people marry in November, when it's so damn cold
    ;-)

    Cheers,
    ink
    ink, Dec 28, 2006
  4. Bill Gillespie

    bmoag Guest

    D80 or spring for another 200. It is not clear to me what the advantage of
    the 200 is in the real world over the 80 for most people but its your money.
    The cost of memory cards is cheap compared to your time.
    The time you may spend having to equalize the difference between images from
    the 6mp and 10mp sensor will be considerable if you are fastidious in your
    workflow.
    The D70 is a wonderful camera but it is a mismatch to the D80/200.
    There are significant differences in characteristics of images made on the
    6mp and 10mp sensor, particularly if shooting raw. My wife and I use the
    D70/D80 combo and several thousand images opened raw make these differences
    clear. Two different workflows for two different sensors.
    You must have a strong neck if you are going to carry two dSLRs and their
    glass at one time.
    bmoag, Dec 28, 2006