Recommendations requested for stand-alone address book program

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I am still using a very old address book program called Address Book Plus
    (originally produced by the now-defunct PowerUp Company, then shifted to
    Parsons Technology, and then Broderbund). I have not been able to find any
    signs of active production for years. The copy I have functions very well
    (despite being long-in-the-tooth) on my home computer, using Win XP-Home
    Edition. Unfortunately, it will not work at the office with Win
    XP-Professional. The administrator has tried several times, but it crashes
    every time.

    I have looked at numerous address book programs. They do not need to be
    freeware or shareware -- I use this a lot and am willing to pay for one.
    However, I want (1) a dedicated address book program that (2) lists all
    entries in single rows to maximize the number of names I can see at a glance
    *and* permits searching by simply typing a single letter -- thereby setting
    in motion a search for the first entry beginning with that letter.

    Can anyone suggest a newer version with those features?

    Thanks,
    MaryL
    MaryL, Jan 21, 2006

  2. MaryL

    old jon Guest

    "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
    >I am still using a very old address book program called Address Book Plus
    >(originally produced by the now-defunct PowerUp Company, then shifted to
    >Parsons Technology, and then Broderbund). I have not been able to find any
    >signs of active production for years. The copy I have functions very well
    >(despite being long-in-the-tooth) on my home computer, using Win XP-Home
    >Edition. Unfortunately, it will not work at the office with Win
    >XP-Professional. The administrator has tried several times, but it crashes
    >every time.
    >
    > I have looked at numerous address book programs. They do not need to be
    > freeware or shareware -- I use this a lot and am willing to pay for one.
    > However, I want (1) a dedicated address book program that (2) lists all
    > entries in single rows to maximize the number of names I can see at a
    > glance *and* permits searching by simply typing a single letter -- thereby
    > setting in motion a search for the first entry beginning with that letter.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a newer version with those features?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MaryL
    >Have you tried making the program `Compatible` ?.

    Rt\click on the .exe program \Properties\Compatibility.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Jan 21, 2006

  3. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
    >>I am still using a very old address book program called Address Book Plus
    >>(originally produced by the now-defunct PowerUp Company, then shifted to
    >>Parsons Technology, and then Broderbund). I have not been able to find
    >>any signs of active production for years. The copy I have functions very
    >>well (despite being long-in-the-tooth) on my home computer, using Win
    >>XP-Home Edition. Unfortunately, it will not work at the office with Win
    >>XP-Professional. The administrator has tried several times, but it
    >>crashes every time.
    >>
    >> I have looked at numerous address book programs. They do not need to be
    >> freeware or shareware -- I use this a lot and am willing to pay for one.
    >> However, I want (1) a dedicated address book program that (2) lists all
    >> entries in single rows to maximize the number of names I can see at a
    >> glance *and* permits searching by simply typing a single letter --
    >> thereby setting in motion a search for the first entry beginning with
    >> that letter.
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest a newer version with those features?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> MaryL
    >>Have you tried making the program `Compatible` ?.

    > Rt\click on the .exe program \Properties\Compatibility.
    >
    > --
    > bw..OJ

    Thanks! No, I hadn't thought of that.

    This raises another potential problem: I do not have administrator rights
    to the computer at my office, and the administrator will not be willing to
    do anything that requires a great deal of time or work. They like most
    things to be "routine." Is the compatibility wizard something that could
    cause problems with other programs, or will we know almost immediately if it
    will work? I do have a very large set of addresses, and I want to be able
    to copy and paste the database from one computer to the other when changes
    are made.

    Thanks,
    MaryL
    MaryL, Jan 21, 2006
  4. MaryL

    Thip Guest

    "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
    >I am still using a very old address book program called Address Book Plus
    >(originally produced by the now-defunct PowerUp Company, then shifted to
    >Parsons Technology, and then Broderbund). I have not been able to find any
    >signs of active production for years. The copy I have functions very well
    >(despite being long-in-the-tooth) on my home computer, using Win XP-Home
    >Edition. Unfortunately, it will not work at the office with Win
    >XP-Professional. The administrator has tried several times, but it crashes
    >every time.
    >
    > I have looked at numerous address book programs. They do not need to be
    > freeware or shareware -- I use this a lot and am willing to pay for one.
    > However, I want (1) a dedicated address book program that (2) lists all
    > entries in single rows to maximize the number of names I can see at a
    > glance *and* permits searching by simply typing a single letter -- thereby
    > setting in motion a search for the first entry beginning with that letter.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a newer version with those features?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MaryL

    I don't know if this has *all* the features you're looking for, but it's a
    small download:

    http://www.lonewolf.gr/software/

    Scroll down to @ddress Book.
    Thip, Jan 21, 2006
  5. MaryL

    sfzendog

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Looking for Adress Book Plus

    Mary L,
    I've spent weeks trying to find the software for Adress Books plus again. I bought up all the paper for a Pocket size adress book years ago, and lost my software? Could you possible send it to me? Perhaps I can make it compatible.
    Peter Coyote

    :lol:
    sfzendog, May 29, 2013