    Any recommendations for firewall and anti-virus?
    Thanks
    McM
    Xeno Chauvin, Jul 5, 2006

  2. Xeno Chauvin

    Todd H. Guest

    "Xeno Chauvin" <> writes:

    > Back in the "old days", 4 or 5 years ago
    > I used Zone Alarm firewall and McAfee anti virus
    > because that was what you did.(?)
    > In 2003 I switched to Norton Internet Security
    > and have been updating it. This up-date period Symantec
    > now wants permission in perpetuity to charge my
    > account which is a no go for me.
    > I'd rather have two or three "stand alone" products
    > for protection,and independence, rather than the
    > bundled products.
    > Any recommendations for firewall and anti-virus?

    Give nod32 a look for av.

    A good hardware firewall is indespensible.

    Complimentary protection from a software firewall is also handy
    especially for Windows users. Zonelabs still has a pretty decent
    product in that arena.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jul 5, 2006

  3. Xeno Chauvin

    Homachi Guest

    Homachi, Jul 5, 2006
  4. Xeno Chauvin

    Journeyman Guest

    avast is a nice free option I used it for awhile, might wanna disable
    the sound though. "Virus database updated" gets kind of annoying after
    awhile.

    node32 is probably the best anti-virus option for win32 if you are
    willing to pay for the protection.

    if you want a free lightweight firewall ghostwall is the way to go
    (http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=ghostwall)

    here is a list of all kinds of software firewalls for windows:
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/links.php
    (kerio is my personal favorite)

    but if you really want security and have an old computer sitting around
    I would suggest running m0n0wall or somthing like that, its not hard to
    find old computers for free.
    Journeyman, Jul 5, 2006
  5. Xeno Chauvin

    Marrick Guest

    I switched from Norton to Avast! at my last renewal. It seems to be
    excellent. One of my applications ran so slowly with Norton that I had
    to disable the antivirus function (and disconnect!) every time I used
    it. No such problems with Avast. If you select their screensaver it
    runs a (limited) system check every time the screensaver is activated.

    I've left the Norton firewall installed for now, but, like you, would
    be interested to hear recommendations for a free replacement.

    BTW, a big thank you from a computer amateur to all you experts who
    take the time to answer questions like this. Some of us out here really
    appreciate it!
    Marrick, Jul 5, 2006
  6. Marrick wrote:
    > I switched from Norton to Avast! at my last renewal. It seems to be
    > excellent. One of my applications ran so slowly with Norton that I had
    > to disable the antivirus function (and disconnect!) every time I used
    > it.

    Where exactly is your point? Norton obviously worked as supposed.

    > No such problems with Avast. If you select their screensaver it
    > runs a (limited) system check every time the screensaver is activated.

    Ouch!

    > I've left the Norton firewall installed for now, but, like you, would
    > be interested to hear recommendations for a free replacement.

    Nmap and Hping creating random packets creates a lot of fun. :)
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jul 5, 2006
  7. Xeno Chauvin

    Steve Kay Guest

    "Xeno Chauvin" <> wrote in news:c4Dqg.13559
    $:

    > Back in the "old days", 4 or 5 years ago
    > I used Zone Alarm firewall and McAfee anti virus
    > because that was what you did.(?)
    > In 2003 I switched to Norton Internet Security
    > and have been updating it. This up-date period Symantec
    > now wants permission in perpetuity to charge my
    > account which is a no go for me.
    > I'd rather have two or three "stand alone" products
    > for protection,and independence, rather than the
    > bundled products.
    > Any recommendations for firewall and anti-virus?
    > Thanks
    > McM

    YMMV but I quite like Symantecs corporate offering (SAV10)- is slim,
    lightweight and pretty much does what it says on the tin.

    As for firewall, sorry, this may be not cool, but XPs built in is
    adequate if you've got a router/firewall.

    Steve
    Steve Kay, Jul 7, 2006