Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dan Molloy, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Dan Molloy

    Dan Molloy Guest

    Hi,
    I'm no camera expert and the amount of info available is baffling.
    Perhaps someone can help me?

    I especially want it to record the natural history of my environs. So I'll
    need a macro facility in order to get close up to plants and insects and a
    zoom in order to catch shots of birds etc.

    Is it possible to get both of these qualities in one lens? Maybe macro won't
    be necessary?

    Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

    Dan Molloy

    Dan Molloy, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Dan Molloy

    Frankhartx Guest

    >rom: "Dan Molloy"

    >Hi,
    > I'm no camera expert and the amount of info available is baffling.
    >Perhaps someone can help me?
    >
    >I especially want it to record the natural history of my environs. So I'll
    >need a macro facility in order to get close up to plants and insects and a
    >zoom in order to catch shots of birds etc.
    >
    >Is it possible to get both of these qualities in one lens? Maybe macro won't
    >be necessary?
    >
    >Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Dan Molloy

    You are asking for two extremes at the same time, not easily done. The Olympus
    5050 a 5mp is a good all around camera with a fast lens, excellent macro and a
    3x zoom.

    Frankhartx, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Dan Molloy

    JK Guest

    Birds? To photograph birds properly, the pros usually use a fast telephoto
    lens on an slr. These lenses, such as a 400mm f2.8 are quite expensive.
    Of course you could buy a 400mm f5.6 lens (or a 75-300mm f5.6(at the
    tele end) zoom lens instead), and a digital slr(perhaps a budget one like
    the Canon 300D Digital Rebel?),and crank the ISO up to 1600 if you need
    to. This wouldn't be that expensive. A 50mm macro lens wouldn't be that
    expensive either. If you have a much lower budget, you could get an
    Olympus C5050 or C4000 which are good at macro, but really don't
    have enough telephoto reach to photograph birds most of the time.

    JK, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Dan Molloy

    Bill Guest

    Hi Dan. I have a Fuji S602 (still available but being replaced by the
    S7000). Not only does it have macro, but also a super macro mode that lets
    you focus as close as 1 cm (or 0.4 inches!)......closer than any other
    dgital camera that I am aware of. But it also has a 6x optical zoom, plus up
    to a 4.4x digital zoom (on S602. Digital zoom on S7000 may be slightly
    less). Picutre quality and sharpness are excellent. Plus a full range of
    automatic and manual controls and loaded with features so you can be
    creative. All around, an excellent camera. Hope this helps.
    Bill

    Bill, Sep 18, 2003