    I recall trying 'bigfix' once. I think something like that is called
    for. Also, perhaps a simple free backup utility?

    She will be installing a spybot detector and a firewall at my insistence.
    kill da rabbit, Jul 5, 2003

  2. kill da rabbit

    Boomer Guest

    kill da rabbit <> wrote in
    news:WzrNa.359432$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a friend in another province that often has problems with
    > her computer. Her teenagers use the computer as well - kazza that
    > sort of crap.
    >
    > Rather than trying to solve her problems long distance can anyone
    > recommend a good utility for her type? The types of problems she
    > has had in the past: lost internet connection - had to find and
    > reinstall isp s/w, drivers deleted, spyware, viruses, etc...
    >
    > I recall trying 'bigfix' once. I think something like that is
    > called for. Also, perhaps a simple free backup utility?
    >
    > She will be installing a spybot detector and a firewall at my
    > insistence.

    Firewall
    Outpost
    http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostfree.html

    And both of these:
    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://security.kolla.de/

    --
    An error? http://sct.staghosting.com/sct009.html
    Out of memory? http://sct.staghosting.com/sct011.html
    Boomer, Jul 5, 2003

  3. kill da rabbit

    Boomer Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    > Errrrr...erm... kill da rabbit said:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a friend in another province that often has problems with
    >> her computer. Her teenagers use the computer as well - kazza
    >> that sort of crap.
    >>
    >> Rather than trying to solve her problems long distance can anyone
    >> recommend a good utility for her type? The types of problems she
    >> has had in the past: lost internet connection - had to find and
    >> reinstall isp s/w, drivers deleted, spyware, viruses, etc...
    >>
    >> I recall trying 'bigfix' once. I think something like that is
    >> called for. Also, perhaps a simple free backup utility?
    >>
    >> She will be installing a spybot detector and a firewall at my
    >> insistence.

    > Chop her kids fingers off.

    :(
    Boomer, Jul 5, 2003
  4. "kill da rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a friend in another province that often has problems with her
    > computer. Her teenagers use the computer as well - kazza that sort of

    crap.

    Well, there's somthing to get rid of! Running Kazaa is as good as installing
    a virus/trojan etc. GET RID. If they must, at least try Kazaa Lite or,
    better still WinMX.

    John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 5, 2003
  5. Boomer wrote:
    > kill da rabbit <> wrote in
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a friend in another province that often has problems with
    >>her computer. Her teenagers use the computer as well - kazza that
    >>sort of crap.
    >>
    >>Rather than trying to solve her problems long distance can anyone
    >>recommend a good utility for her type? The types of problems she
    >>has had in the past: lost internet connection - had to find and
    >>reinstall isp s/w, drivers deleted, spyware, viruses, etc...
    >>
    >>I recall trying 'bigfix' once. I think something like that is
    >>called for. Also, perhaps a simple free backup utility?
    >>
    >>She will be installing a spybot detector and a firewall at my
    >>insistence.
    >>

    > Firewall
    > Outpost
    > http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
    > http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostfree.html
    >
    > And both of these:
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://security.kolla.de/

    actually i'm going to send spybot and zonealarm, but thanks!
    kill da rabbit, Jul 5, 2003
  6. John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions wrote:
    > "kill da rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a friend in another province that often has problems with her
    >>computer. Her teenagers use the computer as well - kazza that sort of

    > crap.
    >
    > Well, there's somthing to get rid of! Running Kazaa is as good as installing
    > a virus/trojan etc. GET RID. If they must, at least try Kazaa Lite or,
    > better still WinMX.

    would the kids be satisfied with WinMX and will it not bugger up her
    system? we both think they'll just keep reinstalling kazza.
    kill da rabbit, Jul 5, 2003
  7. Fair point.... If its on WinXP, why not set them as Limited users and
    password protect the admin account?

    That'll stop the little buggers

    John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 5, 2003