    but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have suggestions for
    other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?

    Thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=, Nov 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Compaq R, V and M series Presarios are available with Athlon 64 or Turion 64
    processors, but you are still on your own for finding drivers. Systemax
    also makes 64 bit notebooks, but again, you'll have to go on a driver safari
    as most everyone here has. Alienware and Voodoo also make 64 bit notebooks,
    but the prices are up past the sky...

    M. Murcek, Nov 23, 2005

  3. There's at least one other Acer model that is x64 capable, and a good deal
    cheaper. But none as nice as the Ferrari 4005. There are HP/Compaq models as
    well, though I don't have any experience with them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 23, 2005
  4. I have been running X64 pretty successfully on a Compaq Presario R3000Z
    (Athlon 3700+) for a year. All the drivers were not immediately available at
    the start, but I now have sound, Bluetooth and a video driver which will
    allow the machine to hibernate and return from hibernation without a problem.
    Most of my drivers were found on PlanetAMD64. The model I have has been
    superceded by the R4000 series. My machine has an Nvidia display adapter and
    the newer R4000 series has ATI. Don't know what kind of success people are
    having with locating an ATI driver.

    I am well pleased with the Compaq and the lower end Athlon/Turion/Sempron
    models should offer significant savings over a Ferrari.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qmx1ZVRvb3Ro?=, Nov 23, 2005
  5. My HP Pavillion zv5000 has one serious draw-back, the flimsy CD/DVD drawer.
    Otherwise, it is awsome. Full equipment at an extremely reasonable prize. I
    like it - period.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 23, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    I'm using a zv5000z also, and other than being heavy, the only remaining
    beef that I have is that there's no driver for the ALPS touchpad (Synaptics
    has been an early and excellent supporter of their touchpad products under
    x64 Edition) I'd love to have the scroll strip on the touchpad working, but
    I doubt I'll ever see it. I sure won't buy anything with ALPS touchpad
    integrated in it anymore...

    M. Murcek, Nov 23, 2005
  7. My wife has a Compaq 4025US that I am impressed with.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Yes, I entirely agree, but such things, you tend to learn how to cope with.
    The CD Drive is somewhat different, I break out a sweat every time I have to
    use it - I must have been driving too many Italian cars - but in all
    honesty, it does hold together, and it boots anything but CD -RW's burned on
    my Desktop.

    A bit heavy indeed, and not a lot of battery time either, but it's
    plugged-in most of the time since my workdesk creates a resonance chamber
    that amplifies all sound from my otherwise reasonably quite machine right
    into the bedroom, so I need to find a quite spot at night.

    On the other hand the HP Windows Home version that came in the package,
    surprised me greatly by it's quality, so if they see it fit to collect their
    stuff and issue a 64bit version of our favorite OS, that would straighten
    out even those couple of wrinkles, I guess. (Funny thing though - the Linux
    folks are actually using the Synaptics driver to give it most of it's
    functionality!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 24, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

    Randy Guest

    Geeks.com often sells refurbed Turion (1.6GHz) laptops (HP, Compaq) for
    $650-$700; less if by auction. They also sell dual-core (Pentium D)
    "debranded" desktops for around $500. TigerDirect sells Turion laptops new
    for ca. $1,000 (as does Geeks). I can't vouch for any of those systems
    specifically... but they should all run x64 Windows nicely. I have been
    happy with a pair of laptops (and more) I bought from Geeks.

    Randy, Nov 24, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

    PJB Guest

    I am a reseller of ASUS products in NZ. I have an ASUS A6K widescreen
    notebook, MT34, 1mB Ram, 100Gb HDD, wireless, camera, DVD D/L which I
    installed x64 on and I am using with great success. Retails here for
    NZ$2300.

    Peter Banks
    Wn, New Zealand.

    PJB, Nov 24, 2005
  11. Thanks for everyone's comments... I opted for the HP Pavilion L2000 Special
    Edition notebook with an AMD Turion 64. This notebook had a great mix of
    features for the price. I did see that people had problems finding 64-bit
    drivers for HP products, but I am hoping that more will become available over
    time.

    Rob

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=, Nov 26, 2005