    machine that does DVD-RAM. I'm not sure I'd use a DVD-RAM disk,
    mainly because I've never used a CDRW, and always used CDRs as they
    are so cheap. What do people recommend?
    icewhain, Nov 22, 2004

  2. icewhain

    me Guest

    "icewhain" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm thinking about a Pioneer 108, or NEC 3500. But have seen an LG
    > machine that does DVD-RAM. I'm not sure I'd use a DVD-RAM disk,
    > mainly because I've never used a CDRW, and always used CDRs as they
    > are so cheap. What do people recommend?

    I recently bought a Pioneer DVR S706 external ,but you can also get the
    internal version,the DVR 107,which is cheaper.Its a Dual format -r/w +r/w 8x
    drive and has worked well for me so far.
    The Pioneer 108 should be a good buy,about $80 for a dual layer Dual format
    drive.

    The 8x discs are also cheap if you go to www.tigerdirect.com where they have
    a 50 pack of HP 8x discs for $30 plus shipping.They also have Khypermedia
    brand which are a lot cheaper,but i have not used them before so i dont know
    if they are any good.

    Andrew
    me, Nov 23, 2004

  3. icewhain

    Thor Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message news:hyOod.4874$1t.3931@lakeread07...

    > "icewhain" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm thinking about a Pioneer 108, or NEC 3500. But have seen an LG
    >> machine that does DVD-RAM. I'm not sure I'd use a DVD-RAM disk,
    >> mainly because I've never used a CDRW, and always used CDRs as they
    >> are so cheap. What do people recommend?

    > I recently bought a Pioneer DVR S706 external ,but you can also get the
    > internal version,the DVR 107,which is cheaper.Its a Dual format -r/w +r/w
    > 8x
    > drive and has worked well for me so far.
    > The Pioneer 108 should be a good buy,about $80 for a dual layer Dual
    > format
    > drive.
    >
    > The 8x discs are also cheap if you go to www.tigerdirect.com where they
    > have
    > a 50 pack of HP 8x discs for $30 plus shipping.They also have Khypermedia
    > brand which are a lot cheaper,but i have not used them before so i dont
    > know
    > if they are any good.

    I had compatibility issues with many stand-alone DVD players when I used
    Khypermedia DVDs.
    Thor, Nov 23, 2004
  4. icewhain

    me Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "me" <> wrote in message news:hyOod.4874$1t.3931@lakeread07...
    > >
    > > "icewhain" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm thinking about a Pioneer 108, or NEC 3500. But have seen an LG
    > >> machine that does DVD-RAM. I'm not sure I'd use a DVD-RAM disk,
    > >> mainly because I've never used a CDRW, and always used CDRs as they
    > >> are so cheap. What do people recommend?

    > > I recently bought a Pioneer DVR S706 external ,but you can also get the
    > > internal version,the DVR 107,which is cheaper.Its a Dual format -r/w

    +r/w
    > > 8x
    > > drive and has worked well for me so far.
    > > The Pioneer 108 should be a good buy,about $80 for a dual layer Dual
    > > format
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > The 8x discs are also cheap if you go to www.tigerdirect.com where they
    > > have
    > > a 50 pack of HP 8x discs for $30 plus shipping.They also have

    Khypermedia
    > > brand which are a lot cheaper,but i have not used them before so i dont
    > > know
    > > if they are any good.

    > I had compatibility issues with many stand-alone DVD players when I used
    > Khypermedia DVDs.

    Probably why they are exceedingly cheap :) I think it's pot luck with those
    cheap ones whether they will work or not,but now the decent brand name ones
    are very good on price,so i go for those mainly now.
    me, Nov 24, 2004
  5. "me" <> wrote in message news:<hyOod.4874$1t.3931@lakeread07>...
    > "icewhain" <> wrote in message
    > The 8x discs are also cheap if you go to www.tigerdirect.com where they have
    > a 50 pack of HP 8x discs for $30 plus shipping.They also have Khypermedia
    > brand which are a lot cheaper,but i have not used them before so i dont know
    > if they are any good.

    I'd avoid the Khypermedia media, although their burners are good. I
    use one of their burners, but get far better quality using
    similarly-priced Ritek Ridata DVD+Rs. They are only rated at 4x, but
    burn just fine at 8x (and I've done quality scans to verify it). The
    Khypermedia discs, on the other hand, have been trouble. I've only
    gotten two good burns (the top two DVDs in the spindle, curiously), a
    bunch of borderline ones, and two coasters that burned "fine" but were
    unplayable. One scanned as being abysmal.
    Jim MacKenzie, Nov 24, 2004
  6. icewhain

    Thor Guest

    "Jim MacKenzie" <> wrote in message
    > "me" <> wrote in message
    >> "icewhain" <> wrote in message
    >> The 8x discs are also cheap if you go to www.tigerdirect.com where they
    >> have
    >> a 50 pack of HP 8x discs for $30 plus shipping.They also have Khypermedia
    >> brand which are a lot cheaper,but i have not used them before so i dont
    >> know
    >> if they are any good.

    > I'd avoid the Khypermedia media, although their burners are good.

    Just an FYI, the last Khypermedia drive I saw identified itself via firmware
    as a Liteon drive. It would appear Liteon makes at least some of
    Khypermedia's drives.

    > use one of their burners, but get far better quality using
    > similarly-priced Ritek Ridata DVD+Rs. They are only rated at 4x, but
    > burn just fine at 8x (and I've done quality scans to verify it). The
    > Khypermedia discs, on the other hand, have been trouble. I've only
    > gotten two good burns (the top two DVDs in the spindle, curiously), a
    > bunch of borderline ones, and two coasters that burned "fine" but were
    > unplayable. One scanned as being abysmal.

    Pretty much all of my Khypermedia blanks burned ok, and played ok in my
    burner, and in my Apex multiformat DVD player. But, my (relatively old)
    toshiba, Sony, and JVC players didn't like the taste of them very well. Had
    really spotty playback results. Switched to HP and Sony media, and never
    have any problems with them at all. Sometimes it's your DVD writer that can
    make the difference too. I set up a Liteon DVD +/- R burner, and made a few
    DVDs. Played great in most stuff, but my Toshiba DVD player won't play any
    discs burned from that drive. Burn the very same media in my BenQ drive, and
    it plays flawlessly in everything. Go figure.
    Thor, Nov 24, 2004