    The Fuji FinePix F20 looks promising and can be found for $190; does
    something better exist for the price? Thanks!
    , Oct 27, 2006

  2. SMS Guest

    wrote:

    > The Fuji FinePix F20 looks promising and can be found for $190; does
    > something better exist for the price? Thanks!

    It's a bad camera for hiking because of the lack of an optical
    viewfinder. No viewfinder may be okay indoors, but it's a royal PITA
    outdoors.
    SMS, Oct 27, 2006

  3. On 27 Oct 2006 05:57:29 -0700, wrote:

    >Hello, I am in need of recommendations for a cheap ($200USD budget)
    >ultra-compact digital camera that will be used to take pictures as I
    >travel. In order of importance:
    >
    >1. Size; must be small as I will be hiking and space will be somewhat
    >limited
    >2. Price; college budget of $200. This unfortunately cannot be
    >stretched.
    >3. Load time; given my budget, does a camera exist with a < 3 second
    >load time?
    >4. Good auto-focus; I really just want to point and shoot without
    >having to spend time focusing the lens.
    >
    >The Fuji FinePix F20 looks promising and can be found for $190; does
    >something better exist for the price? Thanks!

    Canon A620 is just a hair over $200, 7.2 Mpixels
    with a 1/1.8" sensor. (Most ultra-compact
    digicams use the smaller 1/2.5" sensor.)

    It has a tilt/swivel LCD design. Very handy.
    The camera weighs under 12 oz with its four
    AA cells and has excellent battery life.

    It has a 4x optical zoom lens, f2.8-4.1.
    I carried mine 145 miles on a section hike
    of the Appalachian Trail a couple of months
    ago. I'm very happy with it, so far.

    My only complaint/regret is that it does
    not support RAW output format.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Oct 27, 2006
  4. Eric Babula Guest

    wrote in news:1161953849.899158.86170
    @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello, I am in need of recommendations for a cheap ($200USD budget)
    > ultra-compact digital camera that will be used to take pictures as I
    > travel. In order of importance:
    >
    > 1. Size; must be small as I will be hiking and space will be somewhat
    > limited
    > 2. Price; college budget of $200. This unfortunately cannot be
    > stretched.
    > 3. Load time; given my budget, does a camera exist with a < 3 second
    > load time?
    > 4. Good auto-focus; I really just want to point and shoot without
    > having to spend time focusing the lens.
    >
    > The Fuji FinePix F20 looks promising and can be found for $190; does
    > something better exist for the price? Thanks!

    Can't help with your camera selection exactly, but I did want to remind
    you of a couple things, just in case.

    Is your $200 budget the total you can spend? Don't forget about:
    batteries (rechargeables? plus charger), storage card(s), and case for
    the camera and extras. These things will chew up some of your budget,
    too!

    Check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp or
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php or
    http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera/inputSummary.do and do a
    search with your priorities. You can also read the reviews of any
    cameras you might be interested in.

    Good luck with your search.

    --
    Eric Babula