Recommendations for WPA hardware?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jim, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi-

    My father would like me to set up a wireless network for him. I have
    just been reading an article at tomshardware about the FBI managing to
    crack 128bit WEP in just over 3 minutes using publically available
    software, which I thought rather worrying ...

    (see here for article:
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php )

    Anyway, could anyone help me select some hardware for him please? After
    reading that article, I would like to be able to use at least WPA-PSK
    (with a strong key).

    He currently has a USB ADSL modem.

    I would like to get a proper network ADSL modem for him, a wireless
    router, and a wireless PCMCIA card for his notebook.

    I'd be more than happy to get a combined modem/wireless router as well.

    Could anyone recommend some good hardware please? Any manufacturers to
    avoid/prefer?

    Also, I'm assuming that XP has no issues with WPA. Am I right about
    this?

    Any suggestions or comments very gratefully accepted. I'd like to
    ensure my father has as safe a system as possible.

    Also, if anyone knows any good articles describing how best to secure
    wireless networks, would be very interested in the urls...

    Thanks :)

    Jim, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Jim

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    WPA is supported by all current 802.11g Wireless sold by the major brands. (D-Link,
    Netgear, Buffalo, Linksys, SMC, Belkin, etc.)

    May be this can Help.

    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    And if you need extra security for you Network.

    Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Apr 6, 2005

  3. For an added bonus you can use the link below to search for devices that
    have passed WiFi-Alliance certification testing:

    http://www.weca.net/OpenSection/certified_products.asp?TID=2

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Apr 6, 2005
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    thanks for Jack and Jerry's feedback. Now is anyone willing to
    recommend or warn against any particular manufacturers/products?

    I'm still wondering about a combined adsl modem/router as well...

    Thanks for any replies

    Jim, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Jim

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    I would not recommend getting a Combo.
    The Router part of the combo is most of the time Not as Good as Stand alone Router.
    The combo restrict your flexibility of Network configuration.
    Beside being in one plastic box (instead of two) there is no other advantage in combo.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Apr 7, 2005
  6. I'm using a D-Link DI-784 dual band a/g router that has WPA-Personal.
    I mention it frequently in my Expert Zone columns. MS has blessed it
    for XBOX and Media Center 2005.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist