    I contacted HP but it seems their pavilion series isn't guarrantied to work
    with it at all and they have no official upgrade plans.

    Thanks in advance.
    John Smith, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
    http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/ notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm

    and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
    Windows XP Professional x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2005

  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] <> wrote:
    > Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
    > http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/
    > notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm
    > and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
    > Windows XP Professional x64.

    Anyway, as John was speaking about a cheap system, I'm not really sure
    Alienware will do it ;);)

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 6, 2005
  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    > Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
    > http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm
    >
    > and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
    > Windows XP Professional x64.

    Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I've been looking at Acer Ferrari 3400
    already. I think I will buy this if I don't find any better because I
    contacted Acer and they have official x64 support.
    However I am honestly not impressed about what I get for my money. The HP
    series seems to offer more hardware for same money and atleast here where I
    live I will end up paying atleast $800 for the Acer with more crappy
    hardware.

    -- John
    John Smith, Jun 6, 2005
  5. Good point Christian. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2005
  6. John Smith

    M. Murcek Guest

    If you are willing to hunt up the drivers yourself, the HP zv5000z and the
    Compaq R3000 both work fine. As you noted, they are not officially
    supported, and as of now, it looks like they will not be, though rumors to
    the contrary persist. All the necessary generic drivers are available from
    planetAMD64, laptopvideo2go.com and nVidia.

    M. Murcek, Jun 7, 2005
  7. True, the Ferrari models aren't the cheapest. But let's face it. They ARE the
    coolest. That ought to be worth something. And look for the price to come
    down on the 3400 now that they've announced the 4000.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  8. But then he's going to want the 4000, Charlie, I think you just made the
    decision harder. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  9. Yeah, but the 4000 isn't here yet, and I'll bet it's going to be rather
    pricy. I would love it, but I'll settle for none of the above. I've already
    got two Tablet PCs here, I don't really NEED another laptop. Want is a
    different story, of course.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 8, 2005
  10. I know my next laptop is Tablet PC, but I'm waiting until Intel comes out
    with their dual core mobile processors next year code name Yonah.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 8, 2005
  11. I don't really want or need dual core on a Tablet. For me, the Tablet
    experience requires light, and thin. Heavier Tablets don't cut it. And
    cooling is a major issue on Tablets, since there just isn't as much physical
    area to dissipate heat.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2005
  12. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Thank you for everyones interest.

    I ended up buying a Amilo 1630:

    http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/mobile/notebooks/amilo_a.html

    It's quite cool. The biggest problem was the radeon gfx driver which I had
    to patch manually to get working.

    Thing is even though the OS is final version there are quite alot of other
    problems with the software which ofcourse limits the nice feeling of getting
    something new. I assume that during the next half year more software will be
    compatible with the system though and drivers will become better.

    -- John
    John Smith, Jun 29, 2005